TomTom Reviews

Reset
3.5
TomTom Chairman, Management Board and CEO Harold Goddijn
Harold Goddijn

Pros
  • Very reasonnable work-life balance (in 7 reviews)

• Great people working there and the international environment is also very nice to work in (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Way below market average salaries (the senior management thinks that they are paying lucrative salaries) (in 9 reviews)

• lack of vision for some products (in 5 reviews)

1. Career Accelerator

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Burlington, MA

I have been working at TomTom

Pros

Leaders are accessible International colleagues Flexible work schedules Family/casual culture Free/reduced products Love that my job touches so many areas. I have ownership for most things related to my little piece of the TomTom world, which makes me work that much harder. I'm certain that if I were doing my job in another org, I wouldn't have this much freedom to actually make a difference.

Cons

Difficult to influence across continents Some employees find any reason to complain Small desks, minimal storage The open office can be distracting, the chairs feel cheap. Would love some real ergonomic changes for the people who do work at their desk most of the day.

Advice to Management

Management is overall good, just not consistent. Lots of new hires in sales and marketing, so I'm looking forward to hearing more positive news about our market position.

2. Vice president

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sterling, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sterling, MA

I worked at TomTom (More than 10 years)

Pros

good atmosphere and open door policy

Cons

tightly controlled by parent company

3. Regional Account Manger

Former Employee - Regional Sales Manager in Mound, MN
    Former Employee - Regional Sales Manager in Mound, MN

I worked at TomTom (More than a year)

Pros

Strong Financially. Gruop of people in USA great to work with

Cons

Do not follow the Ethics of USA

Advice to Management

Understand the value of your reps

5. Empowering

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Burlington, MA

I have been working at TomTom full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

- Freedom to think outside the box and act on it - Gold standard company culture - what every company should strive for - Friendly, fun, passionate and cooperative co-workers - very team based - Inspiring - Great work/life balance - Really cool products in new and exciting categories (ie: GPS watch, action cam) - Very fast paced - never, ever bored!

Cons

- Some growing pains due to new category expansion - Fast pace means greater need for focus on transparency with employees - Lots of work, not enough people

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work! TomTom's culture is the best I've ever experienced. It is the "secret sauce" of TomTom - do all you can to encourage and foster it in this next phase of growth.

6. I was treated fairly

Former Employee - Systems Engineer in Lebanon, NH
    Former Employee - Systems Engineer in Lebanon, NH

I worked at TomTom

Pros

Opportunities to travel are plentiful and lots of room for lateral movement. Product line is always evolving as consumers adopt new technologies.

Cons

Raises are small and the bonus payout is about the same as one additional paycheck. Prepare to be the person that will do this job for the least amount.

Advice to Management

None, they do a good job and now I am just typing to fill the 20 word minimum required to post

U.S. subsidiary of Dutch company providing digital map data and traffic information.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lebanon, NH

I have been working at TomTom full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Worldwide company with some great people working here. Some flexibility for life / work balance for people with children. A nice mix of cultures.

Cons

Lower than average salaries. Lots of turnover. Lack of transparency. Communication difficulties between various divisions. Limited training and growth opportunities.

Advice to Management

Pay needs to keep up with status quo. Be more transparent and allow for more autonomy.

Fantastic people and great culture.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Concord, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Concord, MA

I worked at TomTom full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I really enjoyed the people and the culture. TomTom was very friendly and good to me, and they offered outings and group events. I enjoyed the fact that I could approach anyone at any time and they would be eager to assist. I felt this helped productivity.

Cons

The pay was a bit low, and although management was very willing to give me more responsibility and more opportunities, they were not willing to increase my salary more than the rate of inflation at the end of the year.

Advice to Management

Continue the great culture - it starts from the top. I learned to value culture and fit more than compensation while working at TomTom. But at the same time, please ensure that compensation is proportional to employees role and responsibility. Nothing is more infuriating than being told by HR or management that there is nothing they can do because according to their secret undisclosed formula the salary should not be adjusted.

interesting work, unreasonable targets

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lebanon, NH

I have been working at TomTom full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Lots of interesting and devoted people. Individual targets are reasonable. Not much finger-pointing. When things are messy, the focus is on fixing them. Lots of opportunities to work with people in other offices around the globe.

Cons

There's a lot of pressure coming from the industry, which I think forces management to set targets which are not reasonable for the company to reach.

What is the future?

I worked at TomTom full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Low performance bar? Is that really a "Pro"?

Cons

No money to invest - resources spread thin world-wide

Good People, Potential. Misdirected management. Secretive and Political

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at TomTom (More than 3 years)

Pros

Nice colleagues, International company, interesting niche market. chance to work with big name partners/customers

Cons

Niche Market, performance based on who you know as much or more than what you do. well below market wages. even though company is now operating 'in the black' financially the workers who are actually doing the grunt work not reaping any benefits. perceived competition/rivalry between NAM employees and EU management

Advice to Management

listen to people under you, recognize good work. get your hands dirty and learn what you are actually trying to manage, you'll garner much more respect from your subordinates that way.

RSS Feed </> Embed