Tomax
www.tomax.com Salt Lake City, UT 150 to 499 Employees

Tomax Reviews

Updated Mar 12, 2014
Tomax – “Tomax Corporation's main offices, located at…”

Tomax President and CEO Eric Olafson

Eric Olafson

Good place to start out, but no reason to stay

I worked at Tomax full-time for more than a year

ProsThe people you work with are amazing and helpful (For the most part). Its really super laid back. The product is amazing, although the architecture is a little convoluted.

ConsThe management has no idea what is going on. So much micromanagement you never know what you are supposed to be doing. The director for my department has no idea how the product works. The pay is crap for the industry. The company also seems to use quite a bit of freeware. Not sure on the legality of that but using OpenOffice as opposed to Word really speaks volumes for the values that this company has.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn the product, listen to employees, and pay better. Having such a high turnover in the software industry is expensive and not very efficient. (Also, the slogan "1+1=11" sounds so ridiculous. Generally, in the rest of the world, 1+1=2).

30 year old startup.

I worked at Tomax full-time for more than a year

ProsThere is always something exciting to be working on
Really fun people to work with
Decent starting pay

ConsMixed signals from middle management
bad work/life balance
Difficult / meager advancement
Little to no notice on big, visible projects

Advice to Senior ManagementLighten up! Drop the dress code, and make it fun to work there! That office is boring and stale, add some color, ping pong tables and arcade machines to the work areas. Give people a chance to have a slight distraction or escape from work.

Constant Misguided Change

I worked at Tomax full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat coworkers, good benefits, some flexibility

ConsChange is constant and communication is next to zero. If you deal directly with customers you are treated well. If you don't, then you are forgotten. Pay is below market and management is too cheap to invest in technology or employees. Always feel like company won't invest money into anything unless absolutely necessary. What they do put money into doesn't make sense and leaves employees feeling like they don't matter.

Advice to Senior ManagementFigure out a plan and stick to it. Let your employees know what is going on and why. Pay them what their worth, not what they can negotiate. They feel nickled and dimed. Good people are getting picked out of there left and right for a reason and none of them leave happy.

All you can want in a medium sized company

Java/C Developer I (Former Employee)

I worked at Tomax full-time for more than a year

ProsVery fast paced and tech savvy

ConsDifficult to talk to some employees due to their poor understanding of technology (live every other company)

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on hiring the right people

Can't imagine working anywhere else

Software Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Tomax full-time for more than 10 years

ProsExcellent working environment, and some really talented people to work with. Great pay, and nice location (downtown SLC). Mid-management is flexible and easy to work with, and very knowledgeable. Decent salary and benefits. Casual work environment is a big plus! Doesn't require employees to put in extra hours. 40 hour work weeks is the norm.

ConsNot the best in providing for the hardware needs of its employees. Often takes agile methodologies and puts them to practice without really stepping back and evaluating the effectiveness of some of the practices. Buys into the hype a little too much, just because that is what everyone else that is cool in the software world is doing.

Decent workplace, but (mostly) mature products

Java/C Developer I (Current Employee)
Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Tomax full-time for more than a year

ProsExcellent benefits (including health, dental, vision); good entry-level work; management is approachable and tries to improve processes. Work level is (usually) stable, predictable, and manageable.

ConsProducts are largely mature (with the exception of some teams' work), meaning more time is spent on bug fixes than on new development. Very large legacy code base (again, depending on the team).

Advice to Senior ManagementTry revamping your legacy code base.

Talent, skills and drive will be rewarded

Platform Engineering Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Tomax full-time for more than 3 years

ProsExecutive leadership is driven to become great and recognize that to become great, it requires talented, skilled, and driven leadership. Opportunities abound to bring about the high level goals of becoming the premier cloud provider of retail services

ConsThe sharp ones, the strong ones, and the ones who are driven to perfection will be driven to perfection. The company needs these people to bring about the changes needed but needs to recognize this is happening.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep looking for the talented ones. You can't afford to expect people to grow into the level you need. You need them to be there before they even come in.

Fun and challenging work with lots of great people

Human Resources (Current Employee)
Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Tomax full-time for less than a year

ProsManagement is committed to continuous improvement and quality.
Great people and work environment.
Lots of opportunities to grow and take on new challenges.

ConsManagers are so busy, they sometimes forget to communicate .

Advice to Senior ManagementTake time to communicate with your employees, and then communicate some more.

Fun people to work with, but management doesn't seem to value their employees

Java Developer (Former Employee)

I worked at Tomax full-time for more than a year

ProsRelaxing work environment, always things to work on, exposed to a variety of technologies.

ConsPay is not competitive with the market, lack of job growth.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat people like they are valuable, not replaceable.

A lot to like but demanding

Project Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Tomax full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThere are a lot of smart people from diverse backgrounds. Management is generally good and there are opportunities to grow. Is a very professional company that stands out compared to other Utah based technology firms

ConsBecause of the management/ownership structure, there is a tendency for it to be political. Sometimes you are in and sometimes you are out. Hours aren't awful but you are expected to always be on call.

Worked for Tomax? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Tomax reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Tomax CEO Eric Olafson. All 32 reviews posted anonymously by Tomax employees.