Tommy Bahama Reviews

Reset
1.2
Tommy Bahama CEO Terry R. Pillow
Terry R. Pillow

Pros
  • Work/life balance isn't just lip service, this company really wants you to enjoy life (in 9 reviews)

• They give you free clothing, I don't know of any other retailer who does this (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Downside to this job was Upper Management was full of (in 8 reviews)

• You may find yourself living in Hawaii or some exotic place with a high cost of living (in 3 reviews)

Not a company to work for if you seek development

Former Employee - Floor Supervisor in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Floor Supervisor in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Tommy Bahama full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Discount on clothes. Worked at THE GROVE in Los Angeles which was always busy. Always busy so time flew by.

Cons

Manager hid upstairs and people on sales staff felt entitled to not have to work hard because they have been working there for so many years.

Advice to Management

Let your team change with the times. If your team is not performing you should either tell them they need to work harder or coach them out.

Need more hours and less returns of stuff with no receipts

Current Employee - Sales in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Sales in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Tommy Bahama full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Free uniform pieces and they dry clean it too! Some of it is pretty cool. I wear Hollister usually but for a work uniform our stuff is pretty cool. You will be a shining star if you are young, attractive and physically fit. I think I will be promoted pretty rapidly because I work really hard to keep fit. We had the new district managers visit and they were all younger type guys who work out. All the bosses in Seattle are guys too. Hope I can get promoted one of these days.

Cons

Less vacation than other places I have worked and NO holidays. Hours are reduced so it's hard to count on your paycheck. Don't understand why that happens when I am full time and counting on pay. Those are the reasons for one star. The returns are crazy, we take back gross used clothing and even things that we never even sold. It's so nasty. Sometimes we miss bonus because we are too nice about taking back returns and giving store credit to thieves and people who want to wear stuff and just return it when they are done.

Advice to Management

Continue to promote younger people because we are the future. Do not cut hours of full time employees and we should get the holidays like the people in corporate offices.

Was great, now this company is on a downhill slide

Current Employee - Floor Supervisor in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Floor Supervisor in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Tommy Bahama full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great discount on clothes, good benefits. Thats about it.

Cons

Store manager does not know how to communicate to team where there at or how to become better, hides upstairs never is on the floor. If a guest asks for her or needs assistant waits over 20 min to come and assist or makes an excuse to not help. New corporate management from Abercrombie has been hired, changing the entire culture of the company from paradise to having no life. There is no work life balance. Its become a limited brand company mentality do more with less.

Advice to Management

Rethink what your doing to people. You dont work at the store level, you dont know what its like having to do these new processes and how its affecting peoples lively hoods. Everyone is going home unhappy after work. This has and will continue to reflect sales performance and customer experience. You are running this once great company into the ground.

The company itself is a great company to work for, the location I work for needs improvement.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Tommy Bahama

Pros

The benefits the company provides its employees are fantastic for retail. The product is a pleasure to sell. The company discounts, they give you clothing to wear.

Cons

There has not been a raise the entire time I have worked for the company, not even a cost of living.
    There is no acknowledgment for top sales people, just more expectations, more pressure for clienteleing. At least our location... The attitude of the store manager is "Anyone can be a great sales person." Because they believe the product sells itself. Which if you're in sales you know that's not true, the customer does like the product, but they can purchase it on line, they come into the store for the sales experience and that means seeing us- the sales person, and the relationship they have built with us. It's unfortunate if that, this person is representing the entire company's attitude towards it's sales staff, then they should shut its doors, and go strictly internet.

Advice to Management

Value your employees. They are what drive and make the sales, they are closest to the product and the customer every day. They listen to and know what the customer wants. Stop dismissing your sales staff as a necessary evil. It would be nice if there wasn't such a hostile work environment that you were creating, if you are so unhappy at your job, than perhaps it's you that should leave and find another job, as you remind and inspire us so often at team meetings.

RSS Feed </> Embed