Tommy Bahama

Updated December 15, 2014
4.0

Tommy Bahama CEO Terry R. Pillow
Terry R. Pillow

Pros
  • Work/life balance isn't just lip service, this company really wants you to enjoy life (in 9 reviews)

• Free clothing item with each new delivery (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Downside to this job was Upper Management was full of (in 8 reviews)

• You may find yourself living in Hawaii or some exotic place with a high cost of living (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Fun & laid-back workplace, but at the end of the day it's still retail.

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Farmington, CT
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Farmington, CT

I worked at Tommy Bahama part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good pay (I was started off at more than $2.00 above my state's minimum wage), six complimentary "pieces" (shirts and pants of your choice) upon hire as part-time sale associate plus one additional piece every other month, sale associate competitions with nice rewards, laid-back environment with energetic and encouraging management that made me feel comfortable, employee discount of 50% off what you wear and 40% off everything else, failure to meet your sales goal today doesn't mean you're getting laid off tomorrow.

Cons

Unless you work in back-stock or management, this will not suffice as a full-time 9-5 kind of job; most sale associates were working 6.0-15.00 hours per week with a couple associates hitting the 20-hour mark. Refolding the piles of clothes you just neatly folded two minutes ago again... and again... and again, occasional unrealistic sales goals set forth by corporate, thick packet of worksheets you have to do on sales tactics and product information, feeling the glare from management on your skin when a guest walks in and you don't run up to them and greet them and offer to assist them with shopping.

Let sale associates be individuals with their own style of greeting and assisting guests.

Great place to work

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Tommy Bahama part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Relaxed atmosphere, ethical employees, easy guests, quality clothing, free uniforms every other month

Cons

Not commission based, sometimes leaders are too relaxed, hard to get used to relaxed environment when just starting

Work more with clienteling, contact employees more

Best place I've worked

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Tommy Bahama full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The people are very supportive and kind. It's nice to be around people you like when you spend a great deal of time at work.

You can't beat the brand and company culture - values are shown throughout the organization.

The company is doing well. Fun brand to be a part of.

Cons

Growing pains, which most organizations go through.

Try and incorporate the lifestyle of the brand into the corporate culture more, like the paddle boarding lessons on Lake Union. That was fun.

Horrible, soul-sucking - poorly managed - stay away!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newport Beach, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newport Beach, CA

I worked at Tommy Bahama full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The pros barely exist. The only good things I can say is that you can take your vacation time whenever you want. You are not required to wait until your annual anniversary. The other good pro is the employee discount is 50%.

Cons

Cons are many - The company generally no longer hires full time employees, other than managers. This gives corporate the ability to hire 2 part time employees instead of 1 full time employee, that way they don't have to provide benefits and don't have to guarantee hours. You pretty much can't take a vacation because you have to supplement your paycheck by cashing in your vacation time. The company requires you to only wear their clothes so you end up giving back your paycheck to buy their clothes, which is what they refer to as "uniforms". Work-life balance is out of balance with crazy hours that are all over the clock. You can be scheduled to work a closing shift and then back 8 hours later to open.. or you often get split-shifts; work 2 hours in the morning and then come back in the evening to work another 2 hours. There is no training on anything other than self-taught on the job training. Customers are generally wealthier clientele who are self-entitled and abusive. - No matter what you do to keep people happy (customers and corporate) management will pass the buck and always put the blame on you. In other words, you can never do anything right - somebody will always say you are in the wrong. And forget about working your way up the latter to a better position; corporate distances themselves from anything happening on the store level and allows everything to be run by the regional managers however they see fit.. so unless you are one of their favorites you are never going to move up no matter how qualified you are. It's common for sales people and floor managers to be stuck in the same position for years until they give up and quit.. Store management conducts monthly 'One on One' reviews with all employees. - this is supposed to be used as a tool to help develop the employees, but the store managers use it as an opportunity to mentally abuse you and tell you how awful you are at everything - it's common to break down in tears. Generally, the employees are highly dissatisfied and see the job as a prison sentence.

Corporate needs to get involved on the store level - not allow the regional manger to run everything as if it were their own company. Corporate needs to interact with employees and not allow the store managers and regional manager to block that relationship. Management needs to treat the employees much better, show them they matter and show them some appreciation. Corporate needs to stop washing their hands of everything that exists outside the corporate boardroom.

Good not great

Current Employee - Floor Supervisor in Naples, FL
    Current Employee - Floor Supervisor in Naples, FL

I have been working at Tommy Bahama full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

pay, especially in management, benefits, free clothes

Cons

have been told lies by upper management, don't always promote from within, I have seen numerous times a floor supervisor be passed up for an upper management role even though they are more than capable of doing the job and they want the job. Seems like they just like to bring in "new" people that have no experience with the company.

be honest

Great place to work!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Tommy Bahama full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I've read some of the recent complaints about HR and I don't get it. Why all the complaints? All of my interactions have been positive. Of course, that's because I'm still working at the company. I suppose those employees who complain are "former" employees for a reason. IT keeps getting better and better too.

Cons

I think the company is going through some growing pains.

Try to manage the growth. Don't let people get spread too thin.

Island like atmopshere

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Tommy Bahama

Pros

You get a great discount and a piece of clothing every month as your uniform

Cons

Breaks are oly 10 minutes and 30 min lunches

Great company to work for

I have been working at Tommy Bahama

Pros

Great company, not like the avg retailer, you can even buy stock. They give you free clothes and lots of insentives to win contests. Great employee discount and you use your discretion to who to give it to, no secrets about giving it to somebody else. If you are willing to travel and relocate you can move up quickly.

Cons

Pay is pretty good but could be better. No commissions. Only bonus if you hit plan and thats really hard due to the economy right now.

Management is great, sometimes need to be on the same page and more professional but other than that nice people.

I had never experienced a company like this before...

I worked at Tommy Bahama full-time

Pros

There are some great people and managers employed with the company.

Cons

The company lacked culture, excitement and interaction with other employees/departments. Everyone seemed to be overworked, underpaid and very unhappy... a very negative energy hangs over the staff.

Guest Services Representative

I have been working at Tommy Bahama full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits, exceptional pay, perks, great atmosphere

Cons

Mandatory OT, Schedules done by bids - meaning those have been there longer get the better pick, Micro-managing, Inconsistent managing, sometimes there is no leadership or support available,

Listen to how your employees feel and hire more people. There once was someone who said "I want you to breathe in between calls." Also, we notice the favoritism.... stop it.