Tommy Bahama Reviews

Reset
3.8
Tommy Bahama CEO Terry R. Pillow
Terry R. Pillow

Pros
  • Work/life balance isn't just lip service, this company really wants you to enjoy life (in 9 reviews)

• They give you free clothing, I don't know of any other retailer who does this (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Downside to this job was Upper Management was full of (in 8 reviews)

• You may find yourself living in Hawaii or some exotic place with a high cost of living (in 3 reviews)

Tommy Bahama gives every opportunity to learn and grow if you want it.

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Saint Petersburg, FL
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Saint Petersburg, FL

Pros

Tommy Bahama is a casual, laid back atmosphere. It's a fun place to work. Most stores are properly staffed so even if you are in a high traffic store, there is more than enough people to handle the guests in the store. Management respects everyone on the team, and communication is easy. They are more than accomidating on scheduling around your personal life. They don't mind if you are a few minutes late, so long as you call if you are going to be more than 5 minutes. The guests we serve are our friends. The same people come back each month and you build great relationships with them. Pay is on the high end of retail, and it's an hourly pay without a commission structure. That way, there isn't a fight over stealing sales. You work as a team. You do have a daily sales goal, but you aren't repremanded if you don't reach it. Salespeople get a bonus if the store's monthly goal is met and exceeded. It's up to 15% of the pay you recieved during the month in which the goal was met. Training is provided and sometimes it's a little boring, but they are trying to get everyone on the same basic level of competency. Managers get to go to the Seattle home office once a year, and some regions send managers to a day long retreat with other managers where they recap the past year and get you excited about new things. Upper management cares. The Vice President of Retail visits the stores at least twice a year and you can talk to him as if what you say matters. Over the past couple years, they haven't been opening as many stores, so advancement was a bit slower than normal. However, they are slated to open 10+ stores and at least one restaurant a year for the next several years, so if you are willing to relocate, you can get to a managment level within a year or two even if you start as a salesperson. You will be happy if you can do the same things every single day and can overlook some minor annoyances.

Cons

Some days are very slow where hours can go by and you don't see anybody. The stores are maticulously kept up. Be prepared to steam, fold, and dust a lot. If a guest tears up a stack of perfectly folded shirts, you have to refold everyone as soon as you can. Some associates I work with don't care, while others take it personally. lol If you can't handle 7 1/2 hours standing, this job isn't for you. Yearly pay raises are capped and nearly everyone get the same percent raise, regardless of their performance. There isn't much room to grow after you get to the Store Manager level. You can advance on to bigger locations if you are willing to relocate, but you have to be content with just being a store manager as this is the end of the advancements at Tommy Bahama.

Advice to Management

Take advantage of technology. Every store should have a webcam and high speed internet so we can have video conferencing. This would save so much money on expenses related to travel and lodging. As far as the internet is concerned, I'd rather you restrict access to the web vs. giving us full access, but only giving us dial up speeds. So much of our daily computer work relies on us sitting there staring at the screen waiting for reports to download. It isn't cost effective. Also- our POS is way outdated, but you already know that.

Great people and a growing brand

I have been working at Tommy Bahama full-time

Pros

*Senior Leadership understands what is needed to win *Company is continuing to grow *Great benefits and bonus structure *Everyone is friendly and engaging

Cons

*Keep up the good work

Paradise!

Current Employee - Store Manager
    Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at Tommy Bahama full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Amazing culture, with a clear vision and rich brand history that inspires not only its guests, but also its employees to make life one long weekend. Working at Tommy Bahama at the store level you are empowered to always do whats right for the guest and the needs of the business. The level of engagement and energy from the directors and upper management is nothing short of inspiring. The company is evolving and there are endless possibilities for those that are opened minded and ready to provide a world class experience!

Cons

There are some in the company that seem to be threatened by change and that are set in their ways, even if their way isn't whats best for the guest and vision of the company and believe that they are entitled due to their tenure with the company. Be open minded and be willing to collaborate with others that have, and can bring a fresh perspective on driving a world class experience.

Advice to Management

Keep it up! The energy and passion is contagious and can be felt at the store level which in turn, translates to the guests. Store contests and social media generates a ton of excitement around a great brand to work for!

Amazing company that puts guests and employees first!

Current Employee - Store Manager in Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Miami, FL

I have been working at Tommy Bahama full-time

Pros

Guests are number one. This is an amazing company that takes care of their customers and the people that work for them. They are completely invested in the future of their employees and are constantly looking for ways to make changes in order to better the lives of those they serve, and those that work for them.

Cons

Like with all change, there are growing pains. Change requires us to adapt and think outside the box. These changes took some getting used to but now it's clear they are to aid us in taking care of our guests and our employees. Now all see then as welcome adaptations that have made life easier.

Advice to Management

Keep adapting! Keep bringing us new, fresh ideas to push our company forward!

Assistant Store Manager

I have been working at Tommy Bahama full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great company to work for and many oppotunities

Cons

Best job ever, no cons to report

This is one of the best jobs I've ever had.

Current Employee - Floor Supervisor in Williamsburg, VA
    Current Employee - Floor Supervisor in Williamsburg, VA

I have been working at Tommy Bahama full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Everyone gets along, lots of comunication, advancement possible...they hire and promote within the company. They allow a generous clothing allowance for us. District Mgrs. and upper Managment are easy to talk to and listen to you.

Cons

Always have to work holidays and dont get holiday pay (time and a half) and dont get sick days.

Advice to Management

n/a

so far so good

Current Employee - Manager in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Tommy Bahama full-time (More than a year)

Pros

great work life balance, never been asked to work late, Great VP of men's design inspiring to work with.

Cons

management could share more with employees, plus they don't pay very well, benefits are good, maybe some team building would be nice

Advice to Management

provide more training and listen to employees

Excellent people and great working conditions

Current Employee - Supervisor Loss Prevention
    Current Employee - Supervisor Loss Prevention

I have been working at Tommy Bahama full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

They live their motto: Life is one long weekend.

Cons

No telecommuting options normally available

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

Seasonal PT Retail Sales Associate

Pros

Pays above minimum wage, free clothing pieces every other month, gain product knowledge of different types of fabrics and it's a friendly environment

Cons

No commission pay, other then that I honestly can't think of an negative experience that has happened to me working at Tommy Bahama.

Great team in a company values its employees and guests!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Tommy Bahama full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Culture & Values!! Company has integrity and does what it says it will do. Strong guest focused culture. Strong Brand identity and vision. Treats employees respectfully and provides career growth. Very little hierarchy. CEO is accessible to everyone and makes time for you.

Cons

This is a great company to be a part of! Sometimes we need to go a little faster in some areas, but the entire team is committed and focused on long term growth.

RSS Feed </> Embed