Tommy Bahama

Updated January 28, 2015
3.9

Tommy Bahama CEO Terry R. Pillow
Terry R. Pillow

Pros
  • Work/life balance isn't just lip service, this company really wants you to enjoy life (in 9 reviews)

• Free clothing item with each new delivery (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Downside to this job was Upper Management was full of (in 8 reviews)

• You may find yourself living in Hawaii or some exotic place with a high cost of living (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Decent Company But Has Faults

I have been working at Tommy Bahama full-time (more than a year)

Pros

When you have a good team that gets along it is a fun place to work.I work with some great people at my store and don't have conflicts with anyone. The free uniform pieces are a nice bonus, but it would be nice if you could dress a little more realistic, allow employees to wear their own clothing along with Tommy Bahama clothing as long as no brand names are showing...the clothing isn't comfortable for everyone, and being comfortable helps with promoting the RELAX mentality. I have been a tomboy most of my life and got hired based on my extensive experience in retail, however when the selection of clothing is 90% girly girl dresses and women aren't allowed to wear screen print t- shirt (which is what i am more comfortable in) it is difficult to pick a uniform piece when the clothing is outside your comfort zone, but that is my personal issue, not the company's issue. I have worked retail in general for over 15yrs, so the complaints I see about it being difficult to take ATO is silly...it's retail...if they didn't have blackout dates, nobody would be available during peak holiday seasons (ie: black Friday and Christmas). I have no problem with the ATO limitations, because the months I prefer to go on vacation are during non peak months. I am the type of person who likes to make myself available for the needs of the company. I like that they offer stock ownership and someday I will take advantage of that. Health benefits are great,although I haven't used it much, but when I have it is wonderful. HR has been wonderful with answering questions in a timely manner.

Cons

The turn over on employees is ridiculous, especially in management. Since I have started with the company I have seen 5 members of management come and go within a 6 month period. The training is sub par and mostly workbook packets. Not everyone (like myself) learn by reading something...you have a higher chance of learning retention when the training is on the job, however with that said, you can't just hand an employee a bunch of packets, say "read this" and then throw them on to the sales floor and expect them to succeed especially a seasonal who is hired during peak season. You need to have a one or two seasoned employees (one management and one non management) who are buddy trainers to show the new employees the ropes.
     If you hire someone because they bring a talent of merchandising, organization, team building or any other talent to the table and they treat the store that are as though it was their own, don't tie their hands on what they are able to do. It just frustrates them and makes them feel like an under appreciated drone. My style of management is I recognize an employee's strength and use it to the company's advantage but don't take them for granted either, I follow up with praise and appreciation on a daily basis, to let them know I see their efforts and appreciate them sincerely. If they are great with customers and achieve high sales, yeah that's great for the company but compensate that hard working employee. I hear my hard working sales associates complain that they are running on empty because they are working so hard for the guests but they seem to be the only ones working hard. If you had a individual percentage bonus incentives(in addition to the overall store bonus incentive) that was attainable for the sales associates you would get more out of them, instead of just paying them an hourly wage and throwing a free blouse their way once a month.
    We went without a proper SM for several months due to a transition in management due to one being promoted and another going on LOA...at the same time we recently hired a new supervisor and their "training" was lacking due to the lack of a SM...sole responsibility was put unfairly on the shoulders of two supervisors and ASM ( had two ASM at one point one left and one new). To expect someone fairly new to the company with little authority and another who just doesn't know what the company expectations are bc they are so new, to run a store is not good. It's the blind leading the blind. Partnering with other SM from other stores only helps with knowledge, it doesn't help with having actual bodies running the store because you end up with managers who see how they thing things should be and make changes with little communication among them and you get burn out really quick, but can't take ATO bc there is not enough management to cover your area of responsibility...you start to feel trapped which wears on moral. The RM (Regional Manager) needs to be one each of their stores on a regularly scheduled basis. At a previous employer I worked, for we saw our REGULARLY one a month. It helps with keeping company expectation on track in each store and when there is a LOA on the management team at a store the RM should find a temporary replacement to help out form beginning to end...average management team here consists of 4 main people,take away one of them and you are left with chaos...there's no balance. Don't just rely on the remaining team to hold the store together...it's stressful and not relaxing at all. Plus this way the RM can see which areas the store is struggling and find ways to solve those problem areas.

Don't allow your managements concerns fall on deaf ears, acknowledge their concerns, take their feedback and ideas and be open minded about it...having a fresh set of eyes on something is a good thing and there is always room for improvement. Let your employees know they are appreciated to keep them from wanting to leave because they don't feel appreciated. Have a better training program for employees that works for all types of learning styles, not just "read this" and throw them into the mix. Require your RM to be in each store at least once a month on a regular basis...it helps with the employees not feeling that corporate is far removed from the store level...the RM is supposed to be the face of corporate. Put in place an individual compensation for sales in addition to a store compensation for sales...you will get more out of your hard working employees (and I don't mean make them commission either, I mean if they reach a certain dollar amount at the end of each month, give them a bonus and have that increase based on how far over that amount they go based on percentage but don't make it a "requirement"...that takes the fun out of it too...a bonus is not a bonus if it is a requirement). Recognize your employees strengths and use that and recognize them for it...sincere appreciation. Recognize staffing issues and resolve them quickly so the rest of the staff doesn't get over worked, bring in temporary help when it is needed for long term situations or transitions. It is difficult to promote RELAXATION when you are STRESSED. Regular store meetings are also needed so employees can express ideas, concerns or compliments and again don't let the feedback fall on deaf ears. Don't let great talent walk out the door because they feel like a drone.

"Good retail company to work work"

I worked at Tommy Bahama

Pros

Great products, loyal clientele, enjoyable company culture.

Cons

steaming and folding clothes 24/7

propose sales incentives

Great company to work for

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Raleigh, NC

I worked at Tommy Bahama part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Pay is based on years of experience so unlike most retail jobs, you actually get paid for you worth. It was a relaxed environment with happy customers. Very low stress.

Cons

Change in leadership led to morale decline among associates.

Promote from within!

Great in store mangers. Horrible district level management.

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at Tommy Bahama

Pros

Great guest and caring floor supervisors. Free clothes always a plus!

Cons

Tommy Bahama retail could be a great place to work if district would not be so negative. You work very hard but it is never good enough. Constantly the staff is beraided and made to feel useless. That causes a high turn over rate. GM are constantly fired and the store is grossly understaffed. Corporate could care less and the staff that stays receives no thanks. You get very overworked with little compensation. HR seems to not care about any complaints they receive.

Show your employees that you care!

Store Manager

I worked at Tommy Bahama full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great concept. It was great to sell clothes and other home items

Cons

Sometimes, managers are spending more time on paperwork, then being on the floor

Sales Associate

I have been working at Tommy Bahama

Pros

6 free pieces upon hire, nice co-workers.

Cons

Management isn't all that helpful at times. Sometimes you get the feeling that you can do a better job.

Great Work/Life Balance - OK Comp

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Tommy Bahama full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great work life balance. Growing company that is going in the right direction with good opportunities for growth.

Cons

Compensation isn't in line with industry standards and cost of living. While internal communication is improving, but is over all still poor.

Bring compensation in line with industry standards and improve communication.

Fun & laid-back workplace, but at the end of the day it's still retail.

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Farmington, CT
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Farmington, CT

I worked at Tommy Bahama part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Good pay (I was started off at more than $2.00 above my state's minimum wage), six complimentary "pieces" (shirts and pants of your choice) upon hire as part-time sale associate plus one additional piece every other month, sale associate competitions with nice rewards, laid-back environment with energetic and encouraging management that made me feel comfortable, employee discount of 50% off what you wear and 40% off everything else, failure to meet your sales goal today doesn't mean you're getting laid off tomorrow.

Cons

Unless you work in back-stock or management, this will not suffice as a full-time 9-5 kind of job; most sale associates were working 6.0-15.00 hours per week with a couple associates hitting the 20-hour mark. Refolding the piles of clothes you just neatly folded two minutes ago again... and again... and again, occasional unrealistic sales goals set forth by corporate, thick packet of worksheets you have to do on sales tactics and product information, feeling the glare from management on your skin when a guest walks in and you don't run up to them and greet them and offer to assist them with shopping.

Let sale associates be individuals with their own style of greeting and assisting guests.

Horrible, soul-sucking - poorly managed - stay away!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newport Beach, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newport Beach, CA

I worked at Tommy Bahama full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The pros barely exist. The only good things I can say is that you can take your vacation time whenever you want. You are not required to wait until your annual anniversary. The other good pro is the employee discount is 50%.

Cons

Cons are many - The company generally no longer hires full time employees, other than managers. This gives corporate the ability to hire 2 part time employees instead of 1 full time employee, that way they don't have to provide benefits and don't have to guarantee hours. You pretty much can't take a vacation because you have to supplement your paycheck by cashing in your vacation time. The company requires you to only wear their clothes so you end up giving back your paycheck to buy their clothes, which is what they refer to as "uniforms". Work-life balance is out of balance with crazy hours that are all over the clock. You can be scheduled to work a closing shift and then back 8 hours later to open.. or you often get split-shifts; work 2 hours in the morning and then come back in the evening to work another 2 hours. There is no training on anything other than self-taught on the job training. Customers are generally wealthier clientele who are self-entitled and abusive. - No matter what you do to keep people happy (customers and corporate) management will pass the buck and always put the blame on you. In other words, you can never do anything right - somebody will always say you are in the wrong. And forget about working your way up the latter to a better position; corporate distances themselves from anything happening on the store level and allows everything to be run by the regional managers however they see fit.. so unless you are one of their favorites you are never going to move up no matter how qualified you are. It's common for sales people and floor managers to be stuck in the same position for years until they give up and quit.. Store management conducts monthly 'One on One' reviews with all employees. - this is supposed to be used as a tool to help develop the employees, but the store managers use it as an opportunity to mentally abuse you and tell you how awful you are at everything - it's common to break down in tears. Generally, the employees are highly dissatisfied and see the job as a prison sentence.

Corporate needs to get involved on the store level - not allow the regional manger to run everything as if it were their own company. Corporate needs to interact with employees and not allow the store managers and regional manager to block that relationship. Management needs to treat the employees much better, show them they matter and show them some appreciation. Corporate needs to stop washing their hands of everything that exists outside the corporate boardroom.

Good not great

Current Employee - Floor Supervisor in Naples, FL
    Current Employee - Floor Supervisor in Naples, FL

I have been working at Tommy Bahama full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

pay, especially in management, benefits, free clothes

Cons

have been told lies by upper management, don't always promote from within, I have seen numerous times a floor supervisor be passed up for an upper management role even though they are more than capable of doing the job and they want the job. Seems like they just like to bring in "new" people that have no experience with the company.

be honest