www.tonychi.com

2.6

Tony Chi Founder and CEO Tony Chi

Broad Experience and Travel

Current Employee - Junior Designer in New York, NY

I have been working at Tony Chi full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I am a junior designer and I worked previously at a large firm. At my former firm I was assigned to work only on carpeting. At Tony Chi, I'm getting broad experience on different types of projects. Most of the projects are very impressive and 5 star locations. I also believe I will be traveling to Asia several times next year. My colleagues are nice and very diverse. People from all different countries work here and it truly has a global feel. It is not your typical American company.

Cons

The hours can sometimes be long, especially around deadlines and if changes are made. Some projects are better than others. They did just close the office for 1 week around the holidays. The pay and benefits are in line with other firms but not above. Most people love the location but I would prefer something closer to mid-town.

Map out the career paths for long-term employees. I'm not clear on the expectations to get to the higher levels. Also, consider doing 6 month reviews with new employees. I did not get a formal review until 1 year and although I was happy with the review, I would have preferred the formal feedback earlier.

Interior Designer

Former Employee - Interior Designer
    Former Employee - Interior Designer

I worked at Tony Chi full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great Projects with reasonable budget

Cons

No quality of life
    Very horrible management team
    Long hours and no recognition of high quality work
    Unprofessional

Learn some manners and how to treat people

Don't get caught up in the drama of this place

Current Employee - Junior Designer in New York, NY

I have been working at Tony Chi full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

If you are a well-focused, organized designer willing to fight your way to the top there is a great deal to learn while working here. The projects are in fantastic locations and you are given great opportunities to meet talented professionals in the design world.

Cons

While a rigorous work schedule is to be expected, the additional tantrums and drama created by "seniors" in charge is completely unprofessional. There is an extremely high turnover rate at this firm, as the long hours and lack of guidance leave many people satisfied. Senior associates take note, there are many talented individuals who love the work but move elsewhere to regain a better sense of self and quality of life. You are missing a huge talent pool by not being better leaders.

Global, fast-paced organization that produces Quality

Current Employee - Senior Designer in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Designer in New York, NY

I have been working at Tony Chi full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The leadership is concerned about Quality and Reputation NOT Profit, which is a major motivator of many other firms. There are many interesting, high-profile locations around the world. There is a great work location and a comfortable, casual atmosphere. The staff is very nice and supportive and the Senior Management are experienced and knowledgeable.

Cons

Loyalty is valued at this firm but it takes time to earn loyalty and some younger, newer members are not very patient. Revisions and tight time-tables at times are part of the job at any firm including this one.

Horrific and hostile work environment

Former Employee - Interior Designer in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Interior Designer in New York, NY

I worked at Tony Chi full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Name recognition... Office is in a nice location.

Cons

If you are a masochist and enjoy working long hours with low pay then this is the place for you.

Senior associates are disorganized and designs are often changed at the final hour before due dates resulting in many all nighters. If you divide the salary by actual hours worked, you get less than minimum wage.

Certain "senior" staff can be extremely abusive and violent. There were several lawsuits pending on hostile working environment when I was there.

It was probably THE worst job I have ever had in my life. You will need extensive therapy after working there.

Pay fair wage and be more humane.

Fast paced work environment that is usually hectic and often disorganized.

Current Employee - Interior Designer in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Interior Designer in New York, NY

I have been working at Tony Chi full-time (more than a year)

Pros

They always have great high profile projects in cities all over the world. Projects are headed up by talented senior associates. The office is in a good location.

Cons

The projects require long hours. They refuse to hire enough people compensate for new projects to compensate. They mediocre benefits and the management is poor.