Tootsie Roll Reviews

1. Packer/ production worker

Current Employee - Illinois in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Illinois in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Tootsie Roll full-time

Pros

Great location, nice people to work with, lots of OT. Work environment has AC so that's a plus, its not hot and bothersome. I was able to sit while I worked. Time goes by fast in there. Free samples of tooties rolls. You are supplied uniform, no street clothes allowed in production room. Brown shirt and brown pants are given. I came in through a temp agency making 12.71 /hr. After 30 days 15 hr. Just make sure you don't miss any days and you come back from your break on time. Drama free!! Great place to work

Cons

The facility is huge. So when we go on break it takes us 4mins just to walk outside to smoke, move car, or run to get lunch. Advice: run like hell once you clock out!!You have to clock out on all your breaks. (even 15min breaks).

Advice to Management

None. I work 2nd shift. The manager ken is awesome!

2. interesting

Former Employee - Machine Operator/Packer in Bedford Park, IL
    Former Employee - Machine Operator/Packer in Bedford Park, IL

I worked at Tootsie Roll full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

pay is good. most jobs you can sit to do which is a plus you get to learn a variety of departments.

Cons

fingers get cramps from a lot of packing but its to be expected.

Advice to Management

pay attention to what job each employee does from day to day the jobs are supposed to be rotated to cut down on same job overload but some people do the same hard jobs back to back when they shouldn't some favoritism.

As Old as the Brand

Former Employee - Marketing Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at Tootsie Roll full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great for someone who is comfortable with a calculator because that's about all the technology that is allowed.

Cons

Keep your smart phone on vibrate. Best they don't know you have it, but it will be the only connection you will have to the internet. Suits and ties for men, skirts and hose for women. Face time strongly encouraged.

Advice to Management

Its family owned and run business. They are in their 80's and 90's and still working. Their children aren't interested in the company. If there is no leadership succession plan, you're in for a rocky road, don't know how long they'll be around.

5. Great People, Great Products, Great Pride!

Pros

Everyone knows each other within the company. The day I started my internship I met so many people. I would love to work there in the future when I finish my degree!

Cons

Honestly, I don't remember any cons other than the commute. Cicero Ave is a very high traffic area!

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

6. Great working environment

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Pros

The working environment is very laid back and people are very easy to talk too. Everyone is friendly and managers are very constructive and only want to help their subordinates,

Cons

Work seems to get done very slow, may be waiting on something to get done for days before can perform your task. People are on vacation frequently and may be hard to reach.

Advice to Management

Stress necessity for meeting deadlines more. Seemed that deadlines were always getting pushed back or extended. Seemed more worried about the bottom line then the actual process.

7. Turn back the time machine

Former Employee - Marketing Manager in Chicago, IL

Pros

The chocolate smell in the air and continuous availability of samples.

Cons

No technology allowed. No internet access except for a public corral. Put away your smart phone or go to your car at lunch. Face time is encouraged. The Marketing Mgr. role is one of production and component (known as findings) control. Forecasts can be changed the day an order comes in or is canceled. Mktg mgrs are expected to monitor that (seriously - someone has to be blamed.) All marketing is directed and managed by Mrs. Gordon. The factory, production and inventory control departments are unable to move forward without your permission, hence mtkg mgrs calling themselves general managers in order to maintain some sense of self-esteem. This is not a position for marketers. As for company culture, dress like you worked in a bank in the 1970's. Their definition of business casual is suits and ties. Jackets worn everywhere but in your own office. For women, suits with skirts are encouraged.

Advice to Management

Get with the times.

8. Time for change before the competition leaves you behind.

Former Employee - Manager in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Manager in Chicago, IL

Pros

Clearly, there are very few reasons why one should consider working for Tootsie Roll. If you end up getting an interview, make sure you ask about their advancements in technology, employee morale and work/life balance, because each is almost non-existent.

Cons

They do not keep up with technology. Tootsie Roll is good if you like to have "big brother" watching over your every move. There is a reason why employees can be seen on the corporate entry-way any time you enter or exit the building. They are certainly NOT very progressive thinking, nor do they take into account new and improved ways to do things, and forget about a suggestion box. If you believe in STATUS QUO, then Tootsie Roll is the place for you.

Advice to Management

Realize there are better ways to manage staff at Tootsie Roll.

RSS Feed </> Embed