Top Guard Security Reviews

2.6
Nicole Stuart

1. Good Job

I have been working at Top Guard Security

Pros

Great second job room for advancement.

Cons

None to mention at this time

Advice to Management

Manage retention and advancement better

2. Really great job

Current Employee - Security Officer in Virginia Beach, VA
    Current Employee - Security Officer in Virginia Beach, VA

I have been working at Top Guard Security full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Solid pay, stable hours and reliable colleagues

Cons

A site I worked at once made it very difficult to be kind to my client...

Advice to Management

Not much, keep doing what your doing!

3. Sign up for food stamps, if you're hired by this company. Guards told to fake security searches.

Former Employee - Security Guard in Newport News, VA
    Former Employee - Security Guard in Newport News, VA

I worked at Top Guard Security

Pros

Honestly, there aren't any "Pros" that come to mind, except maybe one, & that is... Some sites have really awesome people who work for the site you're guarding.

Cons

1st CON.. PAY: Check doesn't even last till the next check. Several co-workers are receiving government assistance, such as food stamps, as their family would starve otherwise! 2nd CON.. Management lies to your face, & tells guards to do things against protocol. 3rd CON.. Employees are not given notices of ANYTHING IMPORTANT! There is NO COMMUNICATION. EXAMPLE: If office is closed on payday, you will not be notified and therefore, you will have to wait to be paid.
     4th HUGE CON.. Guards have been told when doing a security sweep of vehicles entering armed site, you must be quick. To do so, just make it appear you're doing a thorough security sweep/search, just for show, as there are video cameras recording the entrance where the sweeps/checks are done. This "advice/order" came directly from the site security manager. He gives guards that advice/order if he thinks a guard isn't fast enough or if they're being too thorough in the searches! I wonder what the owner of that particular site would say if he knew the guards are basically told to do very slack, or outright fake vehicle searches. I only hope terrorists don't ever attempt to bring a bomb into this particular armed site cuz it'd definitely get thrthe fake gate security sweep's!

Advice to Management

Where to begin?!? After having read the other reviews on here, besides the obvious fake 2-3 that were posted within days of each other, giving the company rave reviews (obvious lies).. You need to listen to what's being said & make BIG changes, that are overdue! Pay rates being a big one! Site managers are also a problem. For example: I watched my site manager throw away the personal belongings of a co-worker, who had accidentally left an item overnight, but was coming in to relieve me from my shift, not even 24 hrs after his shift ended, when the belongings were accidentally left. As soon as my co-worker asked our site manager about his now-missing belongings, our manager looked him in the eyes & straight up lied to my co-worker, saying he hadn't seen it.. Even tho it was he who had thrown the item away, in front of me! When the manager finally left, I told my co-worker exactly what had happened to his "missing" item, but since our site manager took out the trash, the item couldn't be retrieved.. (which was a thermal shirt guards NEED to wear at this particular site in the winter). My co-worker was pretty upset because his family are barely getting making ends meet. His wife is very sick, & cannot work.

THIS "ADVICE" section alone is proof enough to anybody considering this company for employment that they need to RUN, not walk but, RUUUUN away from Top Guard Security.

I wish companies, who are looking to hire a security company/contractor to protect their business, would also see the reviews on here & other sites, so they'd see just how AWFUL, HORRIBLE, DECEITFUL, SELFISH, & CHEAP this company is BEFORE considering them as the people I'd want to protect my business.. because I am certain they wouldn't hire Top Guard .. & I bet the companies who already have Top Guard as their security, would fire Top Guard & hire a better, honest company to keep their company/companies safe. I wouldn't let this place protect my dog, truth be told.

5. The kind of job i needed

Former Employee - Security Officer in Norfolk, VA
    Former Employee - Security Officer in Norfolk, VA

I worked at Top Guard Security full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good pay, ok location, reasonable management, good colleagues

Cons

There are not many challenges, only that sometimes where I worked would be unpleasant. My supervisors were really nice and I got to know one of them really well, it felt like they wanted to know me beyond what my job was

6. A disappointment

I worked at Top Guard Security

Pros

I worked at their highest paying site on the Va. Peninsula so the money was not bad.

Cons

The company showed at best mild disdain for and at worst out and out in difference to their employees. I went kn 2 overseas military deployments while I worked for them. They showed no interest about me while I was in harms way. In 2012 my father died and I was gone from work for a week and somehow they either didn't know or care. Later that same year my supervisor tried to have me fired for no good reason and even after it was determined that I did nothing wrong and could come back to work they kept the supervisor there too.

Advice to Management

Stop showing favoritism to certain workers and being condescending and indifferent to the majority of your people unless they make a mistake. Then your real concerned about them long enough to fire them anyway. Thanx for very little.

7. Horrible pay!

Current Employee - Security Officer in Norfolk, VA
    Current Employee - Security Officer in Norfolk, VA

I have been working at Top Guard Security full-time

Pros

Location I work at is cool.

Cons

The duties of being basically a ''Wal-mart'' greeter, No advancement or increases in pay. There are guys that work at the site I'm at and haven't received a pay raise in 6 years. 6 years, wow! This company seems to bid low on contracts therefore us guards make very little. If you have a family I would advice you to apply else where before here. I have found jobs at the airport and working for various cities in Hampton Rds that pay much better then what Top Guard can offer. I have applied for them. There is no future in this company and majority of the guards are looking for other means of employment. If you begin to work here I guarantee within a year, so will you. You will have no choice considering how pathetic the pay is. Example a site I know is making this company at least 6 figures a year. The guards working there are making under $10 bucks a hour...Now that's one site out of dozens. This company is in the millions but is paying the "Top Guards" nothing...

Advice to Management

Top Guard, you want the ''Top Guards" then how about paying them accordingly. Under 10 bucks a hour is not suitable. Some of you try living and supporting your family on that and see how that works out for you. Your going to continue having a high turn over rate because of the pay and lack of advancement.

8. Its a job

Current Employee - Site Supervisor in Norfolk, VA
    Current Employee - Site Supervisor in Norfolk, VA

I have been working at Top Guard Security full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Steady schedule and very difficult to be terminated.

Cons

No raises, management that will lie to its employees, only time you hear from management is when they need something from you, minimum benefits, management doesn't care who mans a site until the client complains.

Advice to Management

Take an interest in your company and stop being deceptive, secretive, and lying to your employees. Bridge the massive gap between employees and management. Way too many hiring events and that had caused lesser quality potential canidates for employment.

9. Good company

I worked at Top Guard Security

Pros

Good site, friendly management and I never had any issues

Cons

Can get hectic at rimes.

10. Steady as she goes, keep up the good work!

Current Employee - Security Guard in Norfolk, VA
    Current Employee - Security Guard in Norfolk, VA

I have been working at Top Guard Security full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Four years and my site and schedule remain steady-managers are easy to talk with and listen.

Cons

The industry will always be more about stability than wages, TG has above average pay.

Advice to Management

The Bulldog Bulletin daily tips are a fun way to remember important company policies-thank you for always having updated SOPs and I look forward to the QA visits!

11. Steady as she goes-have had the same site anda regular schedule for 4 years!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Norfolk, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Norfolk, VA

I have been working at Top Guard Security full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

My Manager listens to what I have to say and when I bring up a site problem, there always seemd to be someone he can call upon to help me fix it. It means lot to me that they not only have holiday and vacation pay, but they also encourage me to take the time

Cons

The industry isnt meant for earning big bucks-what I want is stability and support-and I get that from the office and from the site supervisor.

Advice to Management

Great job with the Bulldog Bites, they help remind me that even at my site I am part of the Top Guard team. Also, the chances to meet/eat with the Company President each month are posted in each newsletter-how many other security businesses do that?

Top Guard Security Photos