Top Guard Security

Be The First To
Add Photos

Nicole Stuart

Good company

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood site, friendly management and I never had any issues

ConsCan get hectic at rimes.

Its a job

Site Supervisor (Current Employee)
    Norfolk, VA

ProsSteady schedule and very difficult to be terminated.

ConsNo raises, management that will lie to its employees, only time you hear from management is when they need something from you, minimum benefits, management doesn't care who mans a site until the client complains.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake an interest in your company and stop being deceptive, secretive, and lying to your employees. Bridge the massive gap between employees and management. Way too many hiring events and that had caused lesser quality potential canidates for employment.

Steady as she goes-have had the same site anda regular schedule for 4 years!

Norfolk, VA

ProsMy Manager listens to what I have to say and when I bring up a site problem, there always seemd to be someone he can call upon to help me fix it. It means lot to me that they not only have holiday and vacation pay, but they also encourage me to take the time

ConsThe industry isnt meant for earning big bucks-what I want is stability and support-and I get that from the office and from the site supervisor.

Advice to Senior ManagementGreat job with the Bulldog Bites, they help remind me that even at my site I am part of the Top Guard team. Also, the chances to meet/eat with the Company President each month are posted in each newsletter-how many other security businesses do that?

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Steady as she goes, keep up the good work!

Norfolk, VA

ProsFour years and my site and schedule remain steady-managers are easy to talk with and listen.

ConsThe industry will always be more about stability than wages, TG has above average pay.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe Bulldog Bulletin daily tips are a fun way to remember important company policies-thank you for always having updated SOPs and I look forward to the QA visits!

The best Security Company to work for in Eastern Virginia

Norfolk, VA

ProsHelpful staff, great customer service, and family oriented environment. The account manager take great pride in their work, and it shows in the way they word with their officers.

ConsNone that I can think of; security companies have high turnover in this field, however Top Guard has the lowest in the region. Its because of the time and consideration they put towards their officers.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work!

Horrible Company to work for

Security Guard (Former Employee)
    Newport News, VA

ProsThe best thing is a pay check.
    if you are lucky enough to work at one of the higher contracts, consider yourself lucky.

ConsEVERYTHING.
    **if you are the owners friends, they get placed on sites that pay well - without security backgrounds. This company only caters to their friends, they do not treat their employees respectfully at all. The office staff is a joke. Some of them are so rude and disrespectful. the site captains do not run the sites, they have to get everything ok'ed by the office staff. They do not give their guards holiday bonuses, but they give all the office staff, lieutenants, and above bonuses.

Advice to Senior ManagementOffice associates - hire people that are skilled in the areas of common sense and obviously customer service oriented.
    Allow the Captains to run their sites - they shouldn't have to check with the 'office' staff regarding their site.

Worst company I've ever worked for, through and through.

Security Officer (Current Employee)
    Norfolk, VA

ProsSometimes there is flexibility for schedules.

ConsThey bid SO low on contracts to wash out the (better) competing companies, that they cannot pay their staff adequately. Most sites pay less than $10/hr. There are unarmed sites that pay more than hard, complex sites that are armed and require special ID, clearance and training.

Management can't get their head out of their rears! They're so unorganized they won't communicate in the offices. So dispatch, account managers and overnight staff will call you multiple times regarding the same info everyone else contacted you for. It wastes everybody's time from top to bottom, and its inconvenient and annoying.

Uniforms are cheap, tear, rip and look like they're from a halloween store. And they only give you 2 shirts and 2 pants. Expect to do laundry almost daily.

Sites can be nice, but more often than not, its less than pleasant. You'll be stuck in a small booth that has warm A/C, inadequate lighting, insects, no sun protection, and no proper bathroom. Somes sites will be secured, and there are no people and they expect you to not so much as read a book, but rather you stare at a wall for 8 hours. Or it is in an area like a Food Lion lot and your most common interactions are with unmanageables from particular demographics.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you had a reputable company you could bid higher on contracts! You bid so low, because clients would much rather have people like Securitas, Eagle, Pond, Guardus, UAS, G4S etc. But you let clients know you're CHEAP! So they take Top Guard on to save money, not get quality security. Nobody takes Top Guard seriously!

Stop hiring by the busload, TG ends up with these degenerate youngsters who give your company a bad image. Try screening out the hoodrats that are there just for the "paycheck" if that's what it's even called.

Treat your officers with some respect. Understand they have bills, families and a life just like you do.

Reactive, inconsistant, and disorganized

Security Officer (Current Employee)
    Norfolk, VA

ProsThe pay is better than other local or regional security companies. Easy to remain employed by company. No pressure to perform.

ConsNo cost of living, shift, or performance raises. Staffing of sites based on timing not performance (people with no proven performance in security industry hired into better paying positions over loyal and proven employees). Never hear from upper management(assistant gerneral manager and above) unless there is a problem and by then the damage is done. Ownership over burden support staff and account managers. No written evaluations. Issues like performance and attendance done on a case by case method. Company lacks standards and porly communicates. The senior management has no respect for or concern for the safety of its employees. Certain managers are simply nasty to the officers.

Advice to Senior ManagementGo to the site and talk to your employees. Ask them to honestly express without reprecussions thier feeling about your company. If you are not going raise pay make the improvements to how you conduct internal affairs that improve the turnover rate. improve the way information flows, waiting until the day an event starts to let employees know about that event is unacceptable and explains why no one participates in company programs. I cant remember the last time my site recieved info about the christmas party, those luncheons with management or changes in benefits prior to the day they occur.

Disappointing

Hampton, VA

ProsThey pay a good hourly wage;as opposed to other security companies.

ConsNew employees come in& might work more hrs,or even forty hrs,as opposed to employees
    who have been with company over a yr or more. Some sites aren't in the best neighborhoods.
    Mgmt has offered not one raise in 3 yrs,no incentives to help workers feel they care.Moral
    is very low,most workers looking for other jobs. Don't feel appreciated by company.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake more of an interest in employees.Not just when u call someone into the office for a write up.
    Come out to the sites yourselves,see what people are dealing with. No one wants to talk for fear of
    losing hrs,the site. U areSO out of touch.Explains the high turnovers.

Top Guard Security, NOT a good place to work

Security Guard (Former Employee)
    Norfolk, VA

ProsWill work with your schedule
    Usually have weekends off
    You usually will get at least 32 hours a week if you are full time employee

ConsPoor Leadership, that starts from the top
    Upper management does not care about employees
    Pay is horrible
    Human Resource workers are very unpleasant

Advice to Senior ManagementPay your employees better
    Care about your employees
    Offer more benefits and incentives
    Give bonuses after having worked for the company over a year

Worked for Top Guard Security? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Top Guard Security reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Top Guard Security CEO Nicole Stuart. All 11 reviews posted anonymously by Top Guard Security employees.