Top Hat Monocle

Top Hat Monocle Reviews

Updated Jul 15, 2014

Mike Silagadze

Campus Ambassador Position

ProsLiked the management; was invited to their office and given a tour. Cool space and nice people.

ConsWork is similar to other brand/campus ambassador/promoter - job is to get the company name out there. You get paid on how many professors schedule a viewing of the product, which was nice.

Always Changing for better or worse, very volatile

Account Manager (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsLots of energy with young sales professionals

Constoo much change all the time, once they figure out how to handle everything could be a solid company

Advice to Senior ManagementGet better benefits and make sure management has experience before hriing

Nice product but company provided false promises

Account Director (Former Employee)

ProsWorking from home office. Nice benefits now offered.

ConsLack of consistent commission earnings.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement needs a better handle of what expectations should be.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great place to work.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Toronto, ON (Canada)

ProsFun environment, Street Fighter matches during lunch, beers on Fridays, MacBook Airs for everyone.

ConsI'm not very good at Street Fighter (yet!)

Product Manager (Former Employee) Toronto, ON (Canada)

ProsI'm writing a review here to highly recommend Top Hat as an employer and go into some of the specific details of why I absolutely loved the company, its mission, success and brilliant team.

I worked as a Product Director at Top Hat and as a result I had the opportunity to work with many people in a variety of roles and departments in the company: exec leadership, engineering, design, sales and finance. Without an exception my relationship with everyone was superb. Top Hat is full of courteous, intelligent and high-calibre go-getters.

The company creates software to help enhance learning in the classroom, at universities, colleges and others. It's a great cause and everyone there takes pride in the value Top Hat brings to the society by positively impacting education.

Top Hat also has been quite successful from a business point of view, having completed multiple successful rounds of financing and with paying customers at over 300+ institutions.

Just to recap the pros and cons:
    Pros:
    1 - Smart team, high-momentum: Top Hat is the definition of the "rocket ship" start-up.
    2 - But despite being amazing, no one there has an arrogant attitude. Everyone's there to do great work and create value.

In summary, Top Hat is a great startup to work for and I would recommend it to my friends. I was presented with "the dream job" to start and lead another company which is why I left Top Hat otherwise I was looking forward to growing further with the company.

ConsA word of caution:
    Top Hatters push themselves to excel and idealize going above and beyond the call of duty. So, this start-up is not for the faint heart. If you're looking for a cushy 9-5 job, don't bother applying for a job there. You'll waste your and everyone else's time and energy. I am not trying to be condescending towards 9-5: there was a point in my life when I appreciated a stable 9-5 job and loved it because of having a very young newborn at home.

Sales

ProsNew, cool, exciting company looking to bring on enthusiastic talent. The first two interviews via phone went well where the HR rep and director had some good questions and gave promise of moving forward.

ConsThird in person interview was conducted in a very unprofessional way. It was easy to see that the one directing the questions didn't have much experience in management. The types of questions were juvenile and didn't leave much room to expand. It wasn't the best experience to have that specific member of the team facilitate this.

Growing company in an intriguing space

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsLeadership, growing company, future opportunities

ConsCEO is overly involved in company

Great environment to be in while working

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Toronto, ON (Canada)

ProsAt Top Hat, you have the ability to be part of a diverse, challenging, and ambitious team. Each person here brings a plethora of innovation to the table that aids the growth and success of the organization. In short, the team you get to work with is the best part of being here.

ConsI do not have any cons that I can comment on regarding this organization as I am quiet content with the way things are.

Advice to Senior ManagementIncrease the level of recognition for high performers.

I had the wonderful opportunity in contacting various professors/instructors across North America.

Account Coordinator (Former Employee) Toronto, ON (Canada)

ProsGood benefits, fast growth if you're looking to advance your career and not to be forgotten... FREE lunch everyday!

ConsIf you're an Account Coordinator, you're calling non-stop and that can get boring! It's not intellectually stimulating whatsoever. Though they promote rapid growth, it feels as if favoritism plays a large part in who really gets to advance. Sales teams and tech teams do not seem to have much integration... some sales managers are leaning towards micro-managing... can be frustrating.

Advice to Senior ManagementMy main advice would be to have respect for all employees, starting from the bottom. Even Account Coordinators plays a role in your business, we arrange meetings so your product can be put to use! Say hello to us, don't treat us like we don't exist. Create a more cohesive, cooperative unit especially among those in sales - don't make us compete and be cut-throat with one another, we're all in this together.

A shallow demotivating micro-managing negative environment.

Sales Account Manager (Former Employee) Toronto, ON (Canada)

Pros- Great internal sales team
    - Your own schedule

Cons- MICRO-MANAGEMENT
    - CEO is a tyrant that micromanages every detail of your daily progress with clients
    - CEO is a programmer who thinks he can run a sales team
    - The general management is severely amateur and make weak attempts at creating a comfortable "Google" atmosphere
    - There is basically zero training, which would be fine for a seasoned sales rep if it were not for the unrealistic quotas and micromanagement

Advice to Senior ManagementMike Silagadze needs to be removed entirely from any interactions with the team. He has no idea how to treat his employees to ensure a positive environment. I would also advise some sort of a training program, perhaps some sales seminars, instead of Mikes unproductive weekly meetings.

Worked for Top Hat Monocle? Contribute to the Community!