Topco Associates

Updated August 22, 2014
2.3

Topco Associates President & CEO Randall J. Skoda
Randall J. Skoda

You can do better elsewhere

Current Employee - Senior Category Specialist  in  Elk Grove, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Category Specialist in Elk Grove, IL

I have been working at Topco Associates full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Decent start to a career in CPG

Cons

if you're not a favorite of management you will not move up.

grow from within. Going through transformation now and bringing in a lot of consultants. Feels like the company is getting away from our core business which is aggregation.

What a very exciting time to be a part of Topco!

Current Employee - Category Manager  in  Elk Grove Village, IL
    Current Employee - Category Manager in Elk Grove Village, IL

I have been working at Topco Associates full-time for more than a year

Pros

*One of a kind company and business model!
    *Lots of opportunity. It is exciting to be a part of transforming this 70-year old company. There is so much opportunity and upside potential here that once we are through this transformation Topco could double in a quick-short timeframe.
    *Great members and exposure. Work with fabulous Members and exposure to all levels within their organization.
    *Leadership team is very accessible

Cons

*Need a flexible work environment
    *Vesting schedule is long

If you want to attract up and coming talent, you need to be more flexible in your work environment. With today's technology, we are wired 24/7. You don't need to be seen in the office to know that work is progressing. In fact, often times twice as much work can be accomplished while working remotely, uninterrupted.

Company going through a rough patch

Current Employee - Senior Associate Category Manager  in  Elk Grove Village, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Associate Category Manager in Elk Grove Village, IL

I have been working at Topco Associates full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

-Good place to make industry connections
    -Good place to get a job straight out of school since they always are in need of people regardless of background
    -Pension plan for those who were hired before 2009

Cons

-No training or mentorship of any kind
    -Career opportunities are out of need and not out of merit
    -Transformation is becoming the focus of the company while its business continues to suffer
    -No communications plan of any kind, despite hiring a new communications team... and to top it all off they are starting to place phony reviews on this site to detract from the concerns being cited by employees or former employees (shame on you)
    -Ridiculous workload for non-directors
    -Low compensation
    -Turnover during the past 6 months has been record breaking (a lot of the capable people have left or are planning to leave)
    -Culture of fear
    -Old systems in place with new, more complicated systems on the way (think of an elementary school student flying a jet instead of riding a bike)... very asinine

Think of what the members want and do it -- what you are doing will cripple the business
    Prevent the few performing people you have from leaving -- things aren't always how the transformation team makes it seem -- those guys aren't trusted by anyone
    Hold people accountable -- don't just take "i need more staff" as an answer

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

First job out of school with a dysfunctional company

I have been working at Topco Associates

Pros

There are other out of college people I can relate to.
    Direct supervisor is great to talk to.
    Topco U gives newbies an idea on what the company is about.
    Decent PTO.

Cons

The office culture is terrible. I sometimes find it hard to come in because of the negativity and backstabbing that goes on.
    Promotions are seldom and don't come with hard work.
    Senior Management ignores employees and gives off the impression of an after school club instead of an executive team.
    People are leaving like there is a plague, this alone makes me and others want to do the same.
    Transformation is still very unclear to everyone.
    Outsourcing is occurring and we are worried that we will lose our jobs.

While I am not the most qualified to give you advice, I would suggest listening to the people in your organization that have a genuine interest in its well being versus those who are only in it for the short haul. Come out of your offices more often and make decisions on how to hire the best talent. Unfortunately, some of the best talent here has already left. Get rid of people who don't want to be there and don't over empower the Transformation squad as they are a bunch of cheerleaders without any savvy on this company. Their presentation was a riot during Topco U... a riot, meaning a joke. Good Luck!

The most blatantly male dominated company in the nation

Current Employee - Senior Sourcing Specialist  in  Elk Grove Village, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Sourcing Specialist in Elk Grove Village, IL

I have been working at Topco Associates full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Reasonable salaries and many good people

Cons

Absolute glass ceiling starting at the Director level. Topco would rather bring in a barely competent male than promote a high performing woman

Welcome to the 21st Century.

It's been a great, challenging time.

I have been working at Topco Associates full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Lots of opportunities to learn about other products, the people in the department were great to work with, and the company is very stable and growing.

Cons

Work load is to great for one person's desk, the department's don't always work well together to get stuff done, and upper management, while aware of this, doesn't seem to be in a great hurry to fix.

Hire more people

Going in the right direction!

I worked at Topco Associates full-time

Pros

Large company with a long history in the retail business.

Cons

Going through a transformation, which can be tough with so many changes. Lack of technology, but heading in the right direction. No flexible time and rigid structure.

Keep the changes going.

A company striving to improve but not addressing the things that really make a difference

Current Employee - Director  in  Elk Grove Village, IL
    Current Employee - Director in Elk Grove Village, IL

I have been working at Topco Associates full-time for more than a year

Pros

New systems on the way, free food, new offices, Topshop (discount shopping), friendly employees

Cons

New systems seem way too complicated to use, consultants are taking over the company, only bench strength is leaving because of no opportunities, sexism and racism to varying degrees are apparent, terrible culture, financial targets are flexible and people are not held accountable for not meeting objectives, instead they are incentivized through bonus payouts, management team needs yet another revamp, very top heavy at the director level and above, male dominated and gift of gab culture, 3 vp level associates have left in the past 6 months.

Don't put so much trust into the transformation team you hired. They lock themselves in a room to watch sports, and play boardgames, while their consultant buddies from a past life do all the work and we pay a ton of money to them all. Who is really doing the work here? Do we need an internal team? Ask yourselves what's best for the membership and your associates, the ones that are actually invested in the success of the company.

Horrible atmosphere...in planning department

I worked at Topco Associates for less than a year

Pros

Ability to learn a lot about the food industry. Nice workplace in regards building.

Cons

Difficult time to work with the structural changes. The new employees seem to be good friends of people in management. Regular associates are undervalued and their work is improperly evaluated.

I have worked for a few dreadful companies and awful people in the past, but Topco tops the dreadful and awful list.

I worked at Topco Associates full-time

Pros

I enjoy an important friendship with one person I met while we were both employees at Topco. That's it.

Cons

Everything that could be wrong with a company -- or a person -- is wrong with Topco. It would have to improve just to get to be dysfunctional.

There is nothing to say to management. They think they are just fine, thank you.

Worked for Topco Associates? Contribute to the Community!