Topco Associates Reviews

Reset
2.9
Topco Associates President & CEO Randall J. Skoda
Randall J. Skoda

Pros
  • New systems on the way, free food, new offices, Topshop (discount shopping), friendly employees (in 5 reviews)

• One of a kind company and business model (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Absolute glass ceiling starting at the Director level (in 3 reviews)

• Going through a transformation, which can be tough with so many changes (in 3 reviews)

Pharmacy Operations

Former Employee - Director in Skokie, IL
    Former Employee - Director in Skokie, IL

I worked at Topco Associates full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Stable company in a successful company built on a good business model.

Cons

I worked for a weak Supervisor that did not represent the complete truth. He does not represent the company in a fashion that it deserves. He did several unethical actions of which have not been disclosed. I am not a litigious person nor do I want to cause any additional concerns but there should be a closer look at this VP.

Advice to Management

If desired Randy Skoda could contact me directly. He is a professional highly qualified individual and was a pleasure to work with.

2. has so much potential, but falls short

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Skokie, IL

I have been working at Topco Associates full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great benefit package! That cannot be disputed. I applaud Topco for maintaining excellent health, dental and vision insurance as well as nice PTO. Many of the people at this company are wonderful to work with. Decent location, but the organization is in the process of moving. Topco is working to improve the workflow, boost morale, and be a better overall organzation, but as I note later, they have a long journey to get there, and I hope they do.

Cons

Lacking communcation, very "siloed". not a technologically forward company. No team spirit, unmotivated associates, no accountability for low performers or individuals who road-block projects or initiatives. At Topco, it seems its every associate for himself, department versus department. No shared vision, no willingness to try to acheive company goals. I must say, Topco IS trying to change this, but they have a very long way to go.

Advice to Management

Invest in technology to speed up processes (ie? move on to firefox, get faster machines, offer vpn, etc). Get rid of low performers (they may be nice, but if the job isnt getting done, get rid of that person(s), and people with poor attitues. Offer a real bonus program.

Culture of Fear! RUNNNNNN FAR FAR AWAY.

Former Employee - Food Technologists in Skokie, IL
    Former Employee - Food Technologists in Skokie, IL

I worked at Topco Associates full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good Vacation Benefits, Free Food

Cons

When I was first hired, I was promised good learning opportunites and the ability to train in different areas. But there was no time to learn anything. They need more people to get the job done properly. I worked in the lab and the micromanagement style there was so clausterpobic. It is run by a V.P. who tries to implement too many changes too quickly and who ignores you/gives you the silent treatment if you make a mistake. Many people told me my first week there that you know that you haven't worked for Topco if "You haven't cried at least once at Work." At least 30% of the food techologists have quit in the past 2 years. The company has poor planning and poor communication. For example, they spent tens of thousands of dollars on a new lab but then ended up moving to a new building.

5. Great Learning experience. Great place to begin a career and, take knowledge to other companies.

Former Employee - Buyer's Assistant/Member Service Associate in Skokie, IL
    Former Employee - Buyer's Assistant/Member Service Associate in Skokie, IL

I worked at Topco Associates

Pros

Provide tools needed to advance in your career. I started in the treasury department in 2008, with very little experience. I ended in the procurement department in 2010. Very family orientated. For example; children of co-workers allowed to trick-or-treat at the office. My kids received more candy at the office, than they ever did going door-to-door. Also, when I got married, they gave me a bridal shower.

Cons

Unfortunately, company was going through a re-constructing. Many employees forced to retire(those who have been with the company 10 + years). Company hired a lot of newer people to do the work for less money. Also, company consolidated positions. Thus, what was once done by two to three people, now being forced to be done by one. Advice: Learn as much as you can as fast as you can. Take knowledge to another company.

Advice to Management

Widen the channels of communication with your subordinates. The is why the treasury department ran so smoothly.

6. A New Company!

I have been working at Topco Associates

Pros

Growing business - 10 years in a row Changing environment - new entrepreneurial feel to the business New leadership team - better directors through CEO in last 2 years Great long term benefits - pension/401k Nearly recession proof business Did I mention new leadership? - great news Painful CEO is gone!

Cons

Only fair salary levels Mediocre raises - barely meet inflation Horrible building - maybe new addition coming soon Antiquated IT systems and policies

Advice to Management

Keep pressing forward with the change that is starting. Don't let the long timers hold you back, move the business forward. Hurry the IT changes - they will make everyone's job better. Don't build, move instead.

Good place to work if you're just looking for a job rather than a career.

I have been working at Topco Associates

Pros

Topco is a good place to work if you're the type the likes to be governed/micromanaged. The employees are generally friendly. Within departments, a sense of community is received.

Cons

Communication seriously lacks within this organization. Employees are more apt to "pass the buck" rather than taking responsibility for duties assigned to them. Promotions are few and far between with little difference in pay.

Advice to Management

An incentive program would be a good way to improve employee moral. The only incentive to do the job well, is fear in losing said job.

8. Grateful for experience after college, but some management needs some maturing to do.

Current Employee - Buyer's Assistant/Member Service Associate in Skokie, IL
    Current Employee - Buyer's Assistant/Member Service Associate in Skokie, IL

I have been working at Topco Associates

Pros

- free food very often - get to learn AS400 and a little bit of Hyperion - good experience with fast paced customer service via email and phone - convention once a year in the spring time is over the top and very fun and interesting - stable company that especially thrives when people have to rely on generic food instead of brand name food when the economy worsens and the unemployment rate increases - sales volume from the total number of member-owners (customers), the grocery stores you serve, have been second to Wal-Mart, according to upper management.

Cons

- if you are good at brown-nosing you will have a high chance at becoming management, even if you have peers that have much more years experience and wealth of knowledge than you do - don't expect to learn the much more updated systems/applications now out there like SAP and such, you are stuck with AS400, and they are comfortable with never changing because they don't want to invest into how much it will cost to change and update - there is some training available but definitely not as thorough as it should be - some people do get promoted, but there are still people who have worked there for many many years and they are practically at the same level except probably with increased salary over the course of years with good reviews and of course, you will attain more accounts = even more work to multitask which becomes extremely fast paced. - although some generic food can be somewhat comparable to brand name food, sometimes the quality is certainly not the greatest - if you like using Excel and Access, don't expect to be using it much at all. It's Outlook and AS400 all the way.

Advice to Management

Update your systems/applications because they are becoming very antiquated. People promoted to management should be based on merit of course, but with definitely a bit more years of experience and more wealth of knowledge than someone who just got out of college a couple years prior.

Run the other way. Management by fear culture starts from exec level all the way down.

Current Employee - Manager in Skokie, IL
    Current Employee - Manager in Skokie, IL

I have been working at Topco Associates

Pros

Growing revenue Free food samples Summer hours give you a half day every other Friday Stable company with very few layoffs Lots of free parking

Cons

Unfriendly staff coworkers and management No one there likes there job and are too scared to quit in this economy Very controlling and micromanaging executives who all have big egos People have worked there forever and out of touch with the real world Worst workplace culture I've ever experienced Drab gray depressing outdated decor and furnishings People hate this place so much that many of them spend their lunch breaks in their car because they can't stand it inside

Advice to Management

Your lack of professionalism and big egos keep workers from performing their best. This is especially true of of lower ranking employees. Your fear tactics don't make workers respect you more. They just teach others your negative ways. I've been here 9 years and it gets worse every year. A sad pathetic bunch.

10. Decent Company But Very Conservative

I have been working at Topco Associates

Pros

Treat employees with respect Exposed to a lot of areas within our department Given contstant feedback on my job performance

Cons

Limited Career Advancement Poor 401k options and company match Limited Technology- seems like they would rather work harder then smarter No exposure to Senior Management Tough to change legacy processes- hear a lot of that is just the way we do it

Advice to Management

Invest money in current employees. It is great you are trying to get top talent but what are you doing to keep current talent. Better merit inceases we are having recaord years yet we do not see it in our merit increases

11. Great company, but associate level employees are undervalued

Former Employee - Assistant Buyer/Member Service Coordinator in Skokie, IL
    Former Employee - Assistant Buyer/Member Service Coordinator in Skokie, IL

I worked at Topco Associates

Pros

Employee Benefits Pension Program after five years of employment Very Generous Prizes at Annual Employee Meetings Company is unaffected (actually it thrives) in poor economy

Cons

Low compensation Low opportunity for career advancement Low annual merit increases New HR staff is making many changes that are not in employees favor

Advice to Management

n/a

RSS Feed </> Embed