Topcon Positioning Systems

Updated Jun 30, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Raymond O'Connor

Great technology, limited management ability to streamline and grow engineering and sales performance.

ProsFlexibility and opportunities abound. If you do it once it can become your job. Having experience with end use of products and systems you can write your own ticket.

ConsBig little company challenges. Lots of "we've always done it this way." Duplicated efforts in many cases of office and engineering efforts only because of big/little company culture and management.

Advice to Senior ManagementCompany is structured the same way that it has been from 7 years ago, with tremendous growth in number of products and industries served. Grow and empower upper management to reflect the growth in the company overall.

The people are awesome to work with

ProsThe day goes by quickly because there is plenty to do

ConsNeed to get up to date with process improvements

Phenomenal place to work, grow, and make a difference in the world.

ProsProgressive, innovative, and nimble high-tech engineering and manufacturing company focused on both corporate and personal growth with a strong sense of corporate responsibility in the world. Develops tools and technology that helps the world become a better place.

ConsDepending on what type of corporate culture potential employees are looking for, company maintains some level of smaller company culture and appeal which allows company to be nimble.

Advice to Senior ManagementCompany is highly successful, transitioning into new markets, and expanding operations. Keep up the good work!

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

The company is in US, but actually it's Japan company.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsFor workers who's working for mechanical engineering field, this company would be good.

ConsIf not, it's not your company.

Reminds me of High School

Department Administrative (Former Employee) Livermore, CA

ProsEveryone was friendly. Free coffee.

ConsHigh school atmosphere. Managers play favorites constantly and many do not follow through on promises.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop sticking to your favorite few and get to know everyone in your department and give them a chance. Their abilities may surprise you.

If you like to work in construction field and with many mechanical engineers, this company will be ok, but if not ...

Firmware Engineer (Former Employee) Livermore, CA

ProsThis company is developing products for construction business. It will be nice place to Whomever related in the construction field and love to work in that field.

ConsThis company's brain is so small like a dinosaur even though there's few smart personals. I felt their management was under Japan mother company so very strict and vertical. Especially, when they lay off their employees, the company treat them like future criminals.

Perspective on Topcon

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Livermore, CA

ProsVery strong product and technology portfolio.

ConsNeeds to execute better; failures in execution occurring due to leadership underestimating/ignoring complexity of strategic decisions and not staffing/managing accordingly. Benefits and severance poor compared to Bay Area high-tech or financial services, for example. CEO needs to start being more visible again, not just communicating through the newsletter or Exec Committee members.

Advice to Senior ManagementTopcon now competes for talent among Bay Area middle market companies and needs competitive compensation and benefits. Topcon's ability to execute with excellence needs to become as good as its products and technologies.

A decent company to start with in positioning industry

Senior Engineer (Current Employee)

ProsA decent company to start with, have a lot flexibility, can work remotely. Benefit become better, the upper managements are trying to move in positive direction.

ConsSalary is a little low comparing to other similar companies. Management team paid a lot attentation in the short-term goal and ignore long-run development.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay more attentation to long-run development

Good people, poor communication

ProsThere are excellent, dedicated people at TPS. Most people are willing to go above and beyond to achieve results. Lots of freedom.

ConsPoor communication from management. Often, the expected results and objectives are not articulated. There is not enough focus on long term, big picture issues.

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter management skills are required. Better communication and more focus on the long term and not simply short term results.

Worked for Topcon Positioning Systems? Contribute to the Community!