Topshop Reviews

Updated March 21, 2015
108 reviews filtered by
3.1
Mary Homer

Pros
  • Staff discount is across all Arcadia stores; (in 6 reviews)

• Good discounts for clothes to wear (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • not many really, found it a great place to develop my skills working part time during university (in 7 reviews)

• As I worked in the oxford street flagship store it could get stressful, always busy, juggling various duties at once (in 4 reviews)

1. Excellent coworkers

Former Employee - Loss Prevention in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Loss Prevention in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at Topshop part-time (less than a year)

Pros

It seems like they hire really great people. They are all genuine in nature and I am glad to say that I have been able to be friends with many of them outside of work. All of management is friendly and are there to help whenever needed. They are not friendly in the "favoritism" sort of view, they are just overall friendly. Also, the pay is good for part-time work.

Cons

There is not room for movement within the department. I work in the Loss Prevention department and there is only one manager and then the associates (us). This leaves no room whatsoever to move up within the department. Also, manning is low. We only have about 5 people to cover all times of the day.

I would say to get us some better equipment. The radios we have barely reach to the sales floor from the control office. That can cause issues when we are tracking suspicious customers.

2. Fast paced environment where you feel every success and struggle all rolled into one.

Former Employee - Assistant Brand Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Assistant Brand Manager in New York, NY

I worked at Topshop full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great vision, great team, can grow anyone to be independently commercial. A fashion forward fast paced environment where individuality shines.

Cons

The company in it self is fast paced and therefore very inconsistent. Growth from with in is difficult to achieve due to how inconsistent the training and development is.

Some managers need to learn to be patient as this company is always changing and will always be inconsistent and therefore you cannot expect for employees and supervisors to be consistent and perform the same way.

3. Great place for all interns with at least 15 years experience

Former Employee - Program Manager
    Former Employee - Program Manager

I worked at Topshop

Pros

Learned new things from my 23 year old bosses.

Cons

What cons? There are none.

5. Management needed work

Former Employee - Visual Merchandiser in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Visual Merchandiser in New York, NY

I worked at Topshop part-time (more than a year)

Pros

It is a fun working environment and the team was very welcoming. There was great discounts offered to employees every three months and first dibs on sample sales.

Cons

My manager that came from Urban Outfitters did not motivate or direct the team. She took credit for all work done even though she had no to little input. The whole experience left a bad taste in my mouth.

Should ask for employee opinion on improvements after implemented a new manager.

6. Loved the people and team but couldn't impact the store as a leader

I worked at Topshop

Pros

* Team
    * Leadership team
    * Laid back approach to business
    * Able to express yourself and your own style
    * English accents all over the place!

Cons

* Work schedule. Only one weekend off a month as leadership and rarely two days off in a row
    * Lack of guidance. Wasn't always sure what my role was for the company and sometimes I felt like I was just floating around rather than being able to make an impact
    * Store vision and goals are kind of all over the place. They lack communication throughout the store

* Meetings with leadership staff to review goals/objectives
    * Balanced work/life. There were enough leadership staff to take every other weekend off

7. Don't work there ... Business is slow ... Management are retarded ... No really !

Former Employee - Fashion Stylist in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Fashion Stylist in New York, NY

I worked at Topshop part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Discount 20% year round
    60% off four items business wear only
    Nice clothing
    Location (5th ave)
    Not to much work on sakes floor unless in fitting room

Cons

When we started to open at top shop(5th ave) everyone was excited some of us had two jobs and even quit to make the store a success for opening we were a team and loved it @ least that's the bed of dreamy lies they fed us . Long over night hours 10pm- 8Am no food nothing machines for beverages constantly broken but we were still excited none the less within two weeks of the store opening the craziest things started happening people fighting over food stolen out the fridge . Other things stolen in aprx. Two weeks (4 cell phones , pAir of boots , coats , my wallet , employees shoplifting , phone charges , sweaters and more ) management failed to look into this matter all the while we still worked hard despite everything. Then the craziest thing happened ppl started getting 10hrs a week from 40+ to 10 all after we opened that big store ppl started complaining but no one cares we were constantly micro managed and watched like hawks . Fitting room was just so sad ... Then they started firing us at first it was one by one then in groups of 5-10 there explanation we dnt have money to pay you guys . So please don't apply or consider a job position WT these people you will regret it first hand experience fired the week before Christmas along wt 30 others . Managers never even bothered to get to know us and who we were individually she was still getting their salary @ the end of the day so they didn't care . Disgusting company I've done plenty retail but they are the worst . SAVE YOURSELF!!!

Show compassion and concern for employees especially the hard working ones.
    Don't put someone through 3 interviews
    A long application process and 6 training classes to fire then b/c you didn't have money to pay them
    manager: at least get to know your team members names the people who make you look good and make your sales goals for the day the real hard workers !
    You're in the US now... So leave the Uk attitude on the plane you flew in on :/

8. Great co-workers, management sucks, unappreciated..

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in New York, NY

I worked at Topshop full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I worked here for 3 years and really loved it for the most part. The one great thing about working here is the people you'll meet. I made life-long friendship here...

I love the Topshop culture. It's also exciting seeing Sir Phillip Green come to the store every once in a while (even if he says nothing to you)

Cons

There is little to no room for development and promotion. Literally the only way you can get promoted is if 1. You're liked by the managers (personally, not by your work ethic) 2. If someone gets fired and there's a spot that needs filling ASAP.

You'll definitely feel under-appreciated. Don't worry, that happens to everyone.

Topshop rarely likes to give hard workers a chance for advancement/development, which really sucks if you're looking to make a career with Topshop. Also, employees don't tend to stay at Topshop very long (associates and management alike), which says a lot about the company

The upper management does NO work at Topshop. There is also NO type of recognition for people who do the most work. They also need better communication.

Terrible

Current Employee - Sales Advisor
    Current Employee - Sales Advisor

I have been working at Topshop part-time (more than a year)

Pros

You meet cool people here

Cons

Terrible business wear. Managers have no communication and tell you lies to get you off your back. No room for growth.

If everyone was on the same page it would be amazing. I don't understand why associates are treated like nothing compared to managers.

10. Working at topshop

I have been working at Topshop

Pros

Sick days, appraisals, PTO, vacation paid. Coworkers are the best part of the job. Everyone is like family. They have three books and you do the books to get promoted

Cons

HR is in the same building at the soho location, sometimes favoritism is shown towards certain people.

11. Great at first, not what I expected.

Former Employee - Full Time Specialist Sales in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Full Time Specialist Sales in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Topshop full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good pay
    Discount
    Fun coworkers
    Great location (the grove)
    Paid time off

Cons

Snooty management
    Late hours
    Overnight shifts
    False hope for promotion
    Favoritism

Be more fair with promotions, do not just hand them to favorites.

Topshop Photos