Topshop

Updated January 31, 2015
Updated January 31, 2015
2.9

Mary Homer

Pros
  • Staff discount is across all Arcadia stores; (in 6 reviews)

• Good discounts for clothes to wear (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • not many really, found it a great place to develop my skills working part time during university (in 7 reviews)

• As I worked in the oxford street flagship store it could get stressful, always busy, juggling various duties at once (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Loved the people and team but couldn't impact the store as a leader

I worked at Topshop

Pros

* Team
    * Leadership team
    * Laid back approach to business
    * Able to express yourself and your own style
    * English accents all over the place!

Cons

* Work schedule. Only one weekend off a month as leadership and rarely two days off in a row
    * Lack of guidance. Wasn't always sure what my role was for the company and sometimes I felt like I was just floating around rather than being able to make an impact
    * Store vision and goals are kind of all over the place. They lack communication throughout the store

* Meetings with leadership staff to review goals/objectives
    * Balanced work/life. There were enough leadership staff to take every other weekend off

Excellent coworkers

Former Employee - Loss Prevention in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Loss Prevention in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at Topshop part-time (less than a year)

Pros

It seems like they hire really great people. They are all genuine in nature and I am glad to say that I have been able to be friends with many of them outside of work. All of management is friendly and are there to help whenever needed. They are not friendly in the "favoritism" sort of view, they are just overall friendly. Also, the pay is good for part-time work.

Cons

There is not room for movement within the department. I work in the Loss Prevention department and there is only one manager and then the associates (us). This leaves no room whatsoever to move up within the department. Also, manning is low. We only have about 5 people to cover all times of the day.

I would say to get us some better equipment. The radios we have barely reach to the sales floor from the control office. That can cause issues when we are tracking suspicious customers.

Working at topshop

I have been working at Topshop

Pros

Sick days, appraisals, PTO, vacation paid. Coworkers are the best part of the job. Everyone is like family. They have three books and you do the books to get promoted

Cons

HR is in the same building at the soho location, sometimes favoritism is shown towards certain people.

Great at first, not what I expected.

Former Employee - Full Time Specialist Sales in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Full Time Specialist Sales in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Topshop full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good pay
    Discount
    Fun coworkers
    Great location (the grove)
    Paid time off

Cons

Snooty management
    Late hours
    Overnight shifts
    False hope for promotion
    Favoritism

Be more fair with promotions, do not just hand them to favorites.

Its retail.....

I have been working at Topshop

Pros

not micromanaged, work loads okay

Cons

No one, not even management, goes out of their ways to introduce themselves

Terrible

Current Employee - Sales Advisor
    Current Employee - Sales Advisor

I have been working at Topshop part-time (more than a year)

Pros

You meet cool people here

Cons

Terrible business wear. Managers have no communication and tell you lies to get you off your back. No room for growth.

If everyone was on the same page it would be amazing. I don't understand why associates are treated like nothing compared to managers.

Great co-workers, management sucks, unappreciated..

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in New York, NY

I worked at Topshop full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I worked here for 3 years and really loved it for the most part. The one great thing about working here is the people you'll meet. I made life-long friendship here...

I love the Topshop culture. It's also exciting seeing Sir Phillip Green come to the store every once in a while (even if he says nothing to you)

Cons

There is little to no room for development and promotion. Literally the only way you can get promoted is if 1. You're liked by the managers (personally, not by your work ethic) 2. If someone gets fired and there's a spot that needs filling ASAP.

You'll definitely feel under-appreciated. Don't worry, that happens to everyone.

Topshop rarely likes to give hard workers a chance for advancement/development, which really sucks if you're looking to make a career with Topshop. Also, employees don't tend to stay at Topshop very long (associates and management alike), which says a lot about the company

The upper management does NO work at Topshop. There is also NO type of recognition for people who do the most work. They also need better communication.

So far so good :)

Current Employee - Sales Advisor in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Sales Advisor in New York, NY

I have been working at Topshop part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Opportunity to grow in the company.
    This is the best job I've ever had, everybody is friendly for the most part, and your day goes by super fast when your busy.
    In my opinion, the discount is fair.
    I have great hours, and I'm getting paid more compared to my last job so I can't complain.

Cons

If you are wearing heels and you have to walk up and down those stairs. Good luck.

A great retail experience

Former Employee - Sales Advisor in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Sales Advisor in Chicago, IL

I worked at Topshop part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good culture, fun, high fashion oriented, good team collaboration/communication, clear growth path

Cons

difficult schedule that is sometimes disorganized, sometimes hard to afford clothing to dress the part

When the flagship store was opened, all employees went through rigorous training, but after the opening, new employees were trained on the job, rather than in the same way we had been. Keep the on boarding process consistent and rigorous.

Topshop was a Topflop

Former Employee - Sales Advisor in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Sales Advisor in New York, NY

I worked at Topshop part-time (less than a year)

Pros

25% off on clothes plus 10% if you're a student. 60% off a limited amount of Business Wear items. Good benefits for FT workers. Some of the training sessions at Yotel were fun as we got to act out scenes and play games. The whole look and feel of working at the 5th ave, Global Flagship store and being apart of it's opening experience.

Cons

I severely disliked my experience there to say the least. We had vigorous 3 day training sessions held at Yotel that was long and drawn out and often repetitive. Everything was messy and unorganized with scheduling and what exactly our roles were in the store. They do not work with your availability and will hold you accountable for any mistakes. The managers are not all friendly and treat you like slaves have you do very tidious, lame work. Often times they have misguided us and we have to do the work all over again. Everyday you have to walk 5 flights of stairs as we can't use the escalators or elevators yet they want us to wear heels and stuff and look "fashion forward". Very grandiosity, snooty attitudes and all they care about is what you can do for them and how you look/your image. Even though we get a good Business wear discount their items still are very expensive. Not a good experience and I just finished emailing them that I quit. I've never been any happier for the past 2 weeks.

Get you and the rest of your management staff together! Have everyone be on the same page and organized. The mistakes you make hold yourself up to them and do not let it fall on the employee. Stop with the grandiosity and be relatable to people and work on being more friendly. You know? The same stuff you taught us during training on how to be friendly and approachable. Give more thanks and appreciation and set clear guidelines.

Topshop Photos