Topsy Labs Reviews

CEO

1. I interned at Topsy.

Former Intern - Intern in San Francisco, CA
    Former Intern - Intern in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Topsy Labs as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Topsy comprehensively summed up the Silicon Valley experience. Complete with fantastic culture, brilliant co-workers- all while developing and distributing innovative technologies.

Cons

Since the acquisition by Apple, I can't accurately speak to what Topsy has become. Knowing management is mostly the same, I still expect the best from Topsy.

Amazing opportunity for growth in an exciting space

Current Employee - Sales in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Sales in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Topsy Labs full-time (less than a year)

Pros

I've been given the freedom/opportunity to do more here than anywhere else in my career by far. We are bringing on many big name customers who are excited about our product offering. Topsy is also becoming more sales driven, and product is reacting better to customer needs. People here are smart and work hard but there is still time for fun, no one takes themselves too seriously. Perks are amazing (unlimited PTO, subsidized gym membership, catered lunch & dinner, keg parties every month etc.). I'm excited to come to work nearly every day.

Cons

- Constant change and need for some structure/process
    - The product could use a facelift and be more pleasant to look at
    - Better communication from executives about vision for the company is needed

Advice to Management

Communicate the vision for where Topsy is headed and what the goals are more clearly. Continue to build out the sales organization but be careful not to scale too quickly.

It's 2000 Dot Bomb Time at Topsy

I have been working at Topsy Labs full-time

Pros

High caliber engineers, amazing back end technology, big data challenges well met.

Cons

"Growth" is defined as yet another investor round, not customer acquisition/revenue. Visionless CEO who desperately needs to be replaced. Total control freak product management focused on new features that few or no customers care about.

Advice to Management

Admit that you are selling an expensive product that few organizations are willing to pay a premium for. Adding lots of sales staff won't change this. Drop most items from the crowded roadmap and instead bring in additional data sources other that Twitter ASAP, otherwise Gnip/Datasift/etc. will continue eating your lunch.

Topsy Labs Photos