Torchmark

Torchmark Reviews

Updated May 8, 2014

Torchmark Co-CEO Gary Coleman & Larry Hutchison

Gary Coleman & Larry Hutchison

Solid employment for almost 20 years.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) McKinney, TX

ProsStable environment, decent benefits. After almost 20 years, I continue to experience excellent opportunities for professional and personal growth.

ConsCould be more progressive. I am a full-time employee and have the ability to work remotely, but unless it's while traveling for the company, it is a hassle to get permission to do so.

Advice to Senior ManagementAllow the culture to evolve. I will say that the culture has improved in the last few years.

Good organization if you are not focused on your career

Pros- a few very smart people work there (albeit they are focused on approaching retirement or family)
    - good work/life balance - not stressful
    - market rate compensation
    - easy to stand out if you are good
    - the good employees are easy to identify and are very good at what they do
    - new technology if you get on the right team
    - ability to train on company's time & money

Cons- disconnected upper management
    - lots of middle management
    - only a select few of managers are actually leaders (those that are leaders are great)
    - change is talked about, however after being proposed it is considered too disruptive and old ways are reinstated
    - top talent typically leaves < 1 year
    - 2 year promotion cycle (like clockwork) (based on a sampling of "this person has just been promoted" emails that are circulated detailing person's history with the company)
    - co-CEOs - read up on if this is seen as an effective leadership strategy (this demonstrates a certain mentality that permeates throughout the organization)
    - Refurbished old (2-3 yrs old) Dell laptop is standard issue
    - Unstable IT infrastructure - business critical functions went down twice in a span of just a few months (1 for 1.5 days, the second incident took 2 business days - note these were 2 different systems).
    - expensive health insurance (2xs the market average - recommend getting benefits package details from HR before accepting any compensation terms)

- During your interview I recommend asking how long each person has been there. Then gauge those who have been there a long time and evaluate if you want to be surrounded people of the similar caliber and personality. Remember the organization will put forth the best faces first.

Advice to Senior Management- Top management fails to engage and effectively communicate with the team. Become engaged and don't hide behind your middle management.

Hell in a half cubical

Customer Service Representative & Provider Relations (Former Employee) McKinney, TX

ProsYou are employeed. :) You will have decent health insurance.

ConsEverything. Very much a company that believes in micromanagement (down to the amount of time you are allowed to pee.) Customer service is the worst aside agent licensing. You are expected to handle all the problems management created and keep it from escalating with little to no power to do anything other than to say I am sorry. Dont for get Medicare Part D season. Trying to enroll senor citizens is no small feat.

Advice to Senior ManagementPeople regaurdless are still human. They are not computers or robots. Treat them as human beings. Upgrade from the stone ages and take accountability.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Complete lack of training and direction

Health & Life Insurarnce Sales (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsNone, constant calls and travel and no pay.

ConsRequired to pay over $500 out of my pocket for licensing from the state. Management was completely MIA, "training" was being given a key to the empty office and a list of used leads or told to make cold calls from the phone book until you got an appointment. Pay was retroactively removed from my bank account saying a former agent had rights to it.

Advice to Senior ManagementShow up. Train your employees and do not present unrealistic pay expectations when in reality this is a cold calling, contingent sales position.

Retirees welcome

Senior Programmer (Current Employee) McKinney, TX

ProsNo age discrimination in IT. A lot of good people.

ConsExtremely expensive health insurance premiums. No employer paid long term disability. Very slow and unstable IT infrastructure. 3 year old off lease refurbished laptops for new hires.

Advice to Senior ManagementSpend money to upgrade your infrastructure. Don't think you are saving money by buying refurbished equipments for developers. The money saved is insignificant compared to the loss of productivity. Start offering decent benefits. Hire IT managers that have technical background.

Run! Unless this is a last resort

ProsThere are a lot of good people that work there.

ConsThis company does not value their employees. Communication with upper management is discouraged. You are told by upper management not to talk to them, unless you are Director level or above. Hard work is not appreciated. Compensation is well below industry standards. Too many chiefs! Stuck to old ways! Poor management! Management does not seem to have a clear direction. Health benefits too expensive, stuck to old ways, technology needs updating. not alot of training, this is not a good place for entry levels since they expect you to know everything.

Advice to Senior ManagementMove into the 20th century. Step outside of your little world and open your eyes.

Poor Customer Service

Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) McKinney, TX

ProsGreat Company over all, Good benefits.

ConsThe Customer service department needs LOTS of help. There of too many chiefs and not enough indians. The floor managers have the little groups and if you are not in their group they treat you very badly. The pay per piece aspect is beyond stupid, If you paid your customer service reps. this company would not have so many complaints about the CSR department and would have more satisfied employees that would get their work done.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart up your customer service department over again, get rid of current managers and start over with new. Not from within the company either someone that will bring fresh new ideas to your company.

Horrible, corporate treats its employees as expendable slaves; they change their pay by the piece rate without notice.

Quality Assurance Representative (Former Employee) Omaha, NE

ProsThere are not pros to working at Torchmark

ConsFar too many to name

Advice to Senior ManagementValue your employees and treat them as human and not slaves

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

Blessed to be working at Torchmark!

Senior Vice President (Current Employee) McKinney, TX

ProsThe people are great at Torchmark! I feel very fortunate to be surrounded by a talented group of people.

ConsI wish I would have started with Torchmark sooner.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work.

Not a good place if you are looking for a rewarding job or career.

Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) McKinney, TX

ProsSome of the employees are fun to work with.

ConsEveryone working there is frustrated with their job because they are underappreciated and undercompensated. If you are looking for a career in the insurance field I would highly recommend you look at any other company.

Worked for Torchmark? Contribute to the Community!