Torchmark

Torchmark Reviews

Updated Mar 19, 2014

Torchmark Co-CEO Gary Coleman & Larry Hutchison

Gary Coleman & Larry Hutchison

Blessed to be working at Torchmark!

Senior Vice President (Current Employee)

I have been working at Torchmark full-time for more than 5 years

ProsThe people are great at Torchmark! I feel very fortunate to be surrounded by a talented group of people.

ConsI wish I would have started with Torchmark sooner.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work.

Retirees welcome

Senior Programmer (Current Employee)
McKinney, TX

I have been working at Torchmark full-time for less than a year

ProsNo age discrimination in IT. A lot of good people.

ConsExtremely expensive health insurance premiums. No employer paid long term disability. Very slow and unstable IT infrastructure. 3 year old off lease refurbished laptops for new hires.

Advice to Senior ManagementSpend money to upgrade your infrastructure. Don't think you are saving money by buying refurbished equipments for developers. The money saved is insignificant compared to the loss of productivity. Start offering decent benefits. Hire IT managers that have technical background.

Run! Unless this is a last resort

I have been working at Torchmark

ProsThere are a lot of good people that work there.

ConsThis company does not value their employees. Communication with upper management is discouraged. You are told by upper management not to talk to them, unless you are Director level or above. Hard work is not appreciated. Compensation is well below industry standards. Too many chiefs! Stuck to old ways! Poor management! Management does not seem to have a clear direction. Health benefits too expensive, stuck to old ways, technology needs updating. not alot of training, this is not a good place for entry levels since they expect you to know everything.

Advice to Senior ManagementMove into the 20th century. Step outside of your little world and open your eyes.

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Poor Customer Service

McKinney, TX

I worked at Torchmark full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat Company over all, Good benefits.

ConsThe Customer service department needs LOTS of help. There of too many chiefs and not enough indians. The floor managers have the little groups and if you are not in their group they treat you very badly. The pay per piece aspect is beyond stupid, If you paid your customer service reps. this company would not have so many complaints about the CSR department and would have more satisfied employees that would get their work done.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart up your customer service department over again, get rid of current managers and start over with new. Not from within the company either someone that will bring fresh new ideas to your company.

Horrible, corporate treats its employees as expendable slaves; they change their pay by the piece rate without notice.

Quality Assurance Representative (Former Employee)
Omaha, NE

I worked at Torchmark full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThere are not pros to working at Torchmark

ConsFar too many to name

Advice to Senior ManagementValue your employees and treat them as human and not slaves

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

Not a good place if you are looking for a rewarding job or career.

I worked at Torchmark full-time

ProsSome of the employees are fun to work with.

ConsEveryone working there is frustrated with their job because they are underappreciated and undercompensated. If you are looking for a career in the insurance field I would highly recommend you look at any other company.

Age

Online Marketing Specialist (Former Employee)
Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Torchmark full-time for less than a year

ProsThere is absolutely nothing positive about this company.

ConsCoworkers are low quality and have no visible skill.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive more effort in hiring people.

Run Away from this Company!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Torchmark for more than a year

ProsThere are some very nice people who work here, but it's too bad they are stuck in such a bad environment

ConsThis company has a very highly charged political atmosphere; be prepared to fight with other departments (even within your own) on a daily basis. It is very hard to get even the simplest things done. Worse, the senior management at this company has a very hands-off style; some do very little work or have a basic understanding of their functions. Overall, it is a very stifling, setup to fail environment.

Advice to Senior ManagementFire the entire group and start over. Their lack of commitment or understanding what is going on is a huge problem with this company.

A Good Company with Growth Opportunity

I worked at Torchmark full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThe company provides many avenues for personal growth & development. You can start in one department & cross train which will open limitless possibilities & career paths. Should you ever leave the company what you learned there will prove to be a valuable asset to other companies.

ConsThe customer service department could use some revamping. Though it's a nice department to start in, it doesn't seem to hold a very important role in the helping the company obtain its objectives. Hence, the people who work in the department's morale is exceedingly low.

Advice to Senior ManagementPerform a thorough job analysis & consider restructuring the job design of the customer service department.

Disappointed.

I worked at Torchmark full-time for more than 3 years

ProsPaid vacations/ sick days/ partial holidays off. Available benefits, and paid training

ConsPAID BY CALL
-Upper management is oblivious to the whole department.
-Internet server constantly goes down resulting in loss of pay
-In the past year, this company has changed policies which have resulted in up to 25% reduced pay per representative.
-Customers are not happy with the changes, and are extremely volatile on almost a call to call basis which results in higher call times and less pay.
-Towards the month of October, they will start training employees for Open Enrollment in Part D. These calls are much longer as the customers require massive amounts of information, and Torchmark will not change your pay schedule.
-Extremely low upper mobility. I had applied for a different position on four separate occasions and was told each time that they were "no longer accepting applications for current employees"

Advice to Senior ManagementHappy customer service reps result in more pleasant customer interaction. If your customers cannot associate you with good service, how can you expect to keep those customers?

Worked for Torchmark? Contribute to the Community!

Torchmark Videos

Torchmark – Why Work for Us?

Torchmark Corporation Affiliate Opportunities Torchmark Corporation is headquartered in McKinney, Texas. Torchmark (NYSE: TMK) is a financial services holding company whose affiliate Companies market life insurance and… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Torchmark reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Torchmark CEO Gary Coleman & Larry Hutchison. All 22 reviews posted anonymously by Torchmark employees.