Toronto Catholic District School Board

Toronto Catholic District School Board Director of Education Angela Gauthier
Angela Gauthier
1 Rating

1. Customer Support Specialist

Former Employee - Applications Support Analyst in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Applications Support Analyst in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at Toronto Catholic District School Board (More than a year)

Pros

Laid back environment. Decent pay.

Cons

Hard to move up within the IT department.

2. Not suitable for younge people

I have been working at Toronto Catholic District School Board

Pros

Stable job security Somewhat better benefit

Cons

Have to sacrifice future career development, less chance to move up. Messy and inefficient management. Typical Bureaucracy.

Advice to Management

Restructure, hiring educated middle management team and cut the number of middle management team to save more money for kids

3. bureaucratic

Former Contractor - Consultant in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Contractor - Consultant in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at Toronto Catholic District School Board as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

well-intentioned people considerate employer good benefits education mission easy to support

Cons

extremely bureaucratic policies sometimes counterproductive a substantial portion of senior management more interested in process than results

Advice to Management

hold managers accountable for results

5. Job Satisfaction

Current Employee - Secretary in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Secretary in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Toronto Catholic District School Board full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

It is a very flexible place to work. Also, you have job security if you are a unionised employee -- ie: if you are absent due to illness you are paid 100% from your sick days - financially you are secure. The employees have a union but, they too are controlled by management and if you are unhappy, there is not much anybody will do and you are pretty much left alone to survive.

Cons

The work atmosphere is not nice at all in the schools. One place is worse than the other. Those who work, work endlessly while the others get away without work pretending to work and nobody does anything about them as they are favoured for some reason or the other. It is a very clicky atmosphere and often you are not accepted in their click may be due to your background. When you work in Administration it is hard to move up - you can move from school to school or department but the grade of the job is mostly the same .Since 10 years, I am trying to move up having the qualifications which most of my colleagues don't have, but, I cannot, as I do not belong to their click. Less jobs to move up due to the favouritisms existing in the board. Nobody sees your merit, everybody sees whom you know. Once you are a secretary you are pretty much stuck there unless you do a complete job career change. There is NO advancement within.

Advice to Management

I would advise the management to see the skills and merits of employees who work hard and give them a chance for advancement specially when they are trying year after year. Do not go by hearsay, find out for yourself what each employee can do and what each one is contributing.. Monitor those who are always absent, sick or lazy and hardly contribute for the advancement of the company whatever their grade may be. Make a fair distribution of work to all so that, some are not overloaded while others enjoy. Alter job descriptions now and then to satisfy your employees and recognize their contributions to the company. Always keep your emplyees happy.

6. TCDSB is a fine place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Toronto Catholic District School Board

Pros

- job security is good - colleagues are professional - management is respectful - world leader in education and management systems

Cons

- pay could be higher - hours can be long - abuse endured by parents can be difficult - abuse endured by students can be difficult

Advice to Management

I think you are doing a fine job, but I do suggest you spend more money on information technology. Thank you.

7. Overall, it is very nice to work for the TCDSB because the atmosphere and job security are there for you.

Current Employee - Department Secretary in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Department Secretary in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Toronto Catholic District School Board

Pros

Firstly it is very flexible, if you need time off from work you can go for doctor's app'ts, no problem, you don't need to make up time if you leave early. Also, you have complete job security -- ie: if you are absent due to illness you are paid 100% from your sick days - financially you are secure. The atmosphere is nice, the people are great. We have 2 days which the TCDSB puts out - an annual end of year picnic which is in June, then in the spring we have what we call a "Reflection Day", we go out of the office ie: Edwards Gardens where the event is put out by the company.

Cons

When you work in Administration it is hard to move up - you can move from school to school or department but the grade of the job is mostly the same. Fewer jobs to move up to. Once you are a secretary you are pretty much stuck there unless you do a complete job career change. There is not much advancement within.

Advice to Management

Senior Management should value your work more.

RSS Feed </> Embed