Tory Burch

Updated January 31, 2015
Updated January 31, 2015
3.6

Brigitte Kleine

Pros
  • Great work/life balance, flexible schedule, competitive employee discount, gifts/prizes during holidays (in 6 reviews)

• There is a generous employee discount and wardrobe allowance for all employees (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • work life balance and the quality of merchandise is getting worse every year (in 8 reviews)

• Like any other major retailor, Holidays and weekends require long hours and late closings (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

23 Employee Reviews Back to all Reviews

Great experience

Current Employee - Intern in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Intern in New York, NY

I have been working at Tory Burch

Pros

wonderful culture
    team-oriented
    great benefits
    wonderful atmosphere
    loved my supervisor

Cons

poor onboarding process
    not organized
    long hours
    not guaranteed job
    departments were divided

Internship

Current Employee - Intern - Hourly in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Intern - Hourly in New York, NY

I have been working at Tory Burch

Pros

everyone was kinda and welcoming

Cons

unorganized work environment and favoritism

establish better hierarchy for decision making

Great company, great sample sales, HR poorly run!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Tory Burch full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great sample sales for employees only where you get discounts
    Beautiful office

Cons

*Everyone sits on top of each other in computers lined up
    * pay little very cheap in salary. I got a 100 dollar increase at my yearly increase
    * human resource department very unprofessional. Don't value hard working employees over high management who does the bare min simply bc of title only my boss was verbally abusive and when speaking to hr about it giving written down evidence they turned their cheek

Listen to your employees. I saw many hard working valuable employees come and go while the higher level lazy employees stayed because your leadership didn't want to listen to the reality of the situations happening in the office in regards to mismanagement. There is a very high turn over rate as a result of this.

Good experience

Current Intern - Intern in New York, NY
    Current Intern - Intern in New York, NY

I have been working at Tory Burch as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Nice people, nice working environment

Cons

They only pay minimum wage to interns

Young, intelligent, hardworking but fun company.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Tory Burch full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

This company truly cares about their employees. From Summer Friday's to Employee Appreciation week and annual culture surveys, they put effort into making Tory Burch a nice place to work.

Cons

Some people in higher management can be moody and flat out rude. We are expected to embody the Buddy values such as kindness and warmth but this is not always demonstrated by those in power positions. It is also easier in certain departments than others to get raises. The salaries are competitive but you can make a lot more in the same industry by working at a less desirable or cool company.

Temp design

Former Contractor - Temp Design in New York, NY
    Former Contractor - Temp Design in New York, NY

I worked at Tory Burch as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

It's good in your resume.

Cons

Disorganized. Always using temps and freelancers. No chance to be a full time.

Need better job on the management

Buying Intern

Former Intern - Buying Intern in New York, NY
    Former Intern - Buying Intern in New York, NY

I worked at Tory Burch as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Best company I've ever worked for. Such a positive open environment. Had an incredible experience much due to my managers.

Cons

Nothing poor to say about the company. Truly believe everything they stand for.

Fabulous environment

Former Contractor - Assistant Designer in New York, NY
    Former Contractor - Assistant Designer in New York, NY

I worked at Tory Burch as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

fashionable people with great attitudes! good energy.

Cons

I did work some late hours but I really didn't mind as I was being compensated and enjoyed my work

Progressive and employee focused organization

Current Employee - Information Technology in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Information Technology in New York, NY

I have been working at Tory Burch full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The organization is committed to employees. Very friendly environment. It is a pleasure to work with the employees of the organization.

Cons

You can find yourself working around the clock. The environment is too liberal and many employees abuse the situation and are online browsing their social networks constantly.

Be a little less liberal with how employees spend their time on the floor. There is too much complain of everyone being busy yet, there is a lot of time wasted.

Great product - things to improve upon to become Best in Class

Current Employee - Corporate Position in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Corporate Position in New York, NY

I have been working at Tory Burch full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Everybody works very hard at Tory Burch and seems very invested in the success of the organization. It feels personal because Tory Burch herself is around and making design decisions. The intention behind the company culture is very positive. The product is beautiful and the company cares greatly about the esthetics of our output - in all areas whether it be a handbag or a powerpoint presentation. There is incredible growth of the organization which means incredible opportunity to learn with a dynamic company. The company has also infused new leaders over the last year that seem to have incredible capabilities and long-term visions.

Cons

Since TB is still a small organization with a focus on creative, there isn't a lot of process in place where process is needed. The company has grown so quickly that employees aren't clear about responsibilities and accountabilities. The company culture is touted to be "friendly and warm" but I find people to be fairly aloof and cold. There isn't a large sense of community or family beyond your immediate team. While the company has recently introduced a very good leadership development program, day-to-day career development and growth hasn't been formalized so people don't understand which skills and abilities are needed to get them to the next level. Certain key leaders are not visible AT ALL to employees while others are extremely engaged in everyday business and employees at all levels. Managers need to be better about addressing poor performance and holding everyone accountable for their actions. The office resources are abysmal - employees are stuffed in every corner imaginable and conference rooms are rarely available. The office resources are an actual impediment to the way people work and can be one of the most frustrating aspects of working in the corporate environment.

Get out of your offices and interact with employees at all levels! Forget the feng shui and buy some office space that is large enough for ALL employees that actually helps instead of hinders our work. Continue to invest in systems and infrastructure that not only supports the size of the organization today but also tomorrow. Force collaboration cross-functionally. Promote from within where possible. Clearly set expectations and firmly hold ALL employees to those expectations - stop making allowances for the "special ones".

Tory Burch Photos