Tory Burch

Updated December 14, 2014
Updated December 14, 2014
3.2

Brigitte Kleine

Pros
  • Great work/life balance, flexible schedule, competitive employee discount, gifts/prizes during holidays (in 6 reviews)

• There is a generous employee discount and wardrobe allowance for all employees (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • work life balance and the quality of merchandise is getting worse every year (in 8 reviews)

• Like any other major retailor, Holidays and weekends require long hours and late closings (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Fabulous.

I have been working at Tory Burch full-time

Pros

Every day is something new, and challenges me in way that I would have never expected. Product recognition is fantastic, people love to hear what it's like to work here.

Cons

Not good for folks who can't deal with ambiguity or new data.

fake luxury

Former Employee - Stock Associate
    Former Employee - Stock Associate

I worked at Tory Burch full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Pay is high because they want to encourage you to sell the FAKE leather products they produce and sell at TOP OF MARKET PRICES. Yes leather is VEGAN, ultimately meaning fake and plastic. Quality of products are never 100% - defective merchandise will walk through the door packed in shipment, managers will not damage or report the defective merchandise, they will encourage associates to sell the product as is. sometimes even telling associates to lie or hide the defective points. But they pay you well to keep your mouth shut. At the end of the day, an easy job to work in between situations but after some time the lack of morals might eat your soul and you could find yourself coming home everyday hating every aspect of your life.

Cons

Management is pretty horrendous - one associate will get away with verbally assaulting another in front of management without consequence. It happened multiple times at the location I worked at. There were no repercussions for cursing or degrading your coworkers. Company policy is vague and usually used to get rid of you if you challenge why one decision is acceptable for one situation and not another. An example you ask? But of course. Depending how far you stick your nose up one managements rear end, one can miss a shift and not even call out and still have a job. If that is brought to managements attention, chances are highly likely that you will be the next to get fired. Product quality, as mentioned previously, is 75% defective or VEGAN leather. Company culture claims to appreciate employees. That is only if you are a top seller. Fair is not a term used in the Tory work environment. Favoritism and brown-nosing is. Merit is not based on performance but ultimately based upon who stood and let unfair, immoral actions conspire. Those who keep their mouth shut longest usually succeed best at this company.

stop lying and backstabbing to your associates

Decent place to start. Not a great place to stay.

Former Employee - Planning and Buying
    Former Employee - Planning and Buying

I worked at Tory Burch full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Decent place to start your career in fashion. Company has grown fast and the name is quite recognized. Quite innovative.

Cons

Culture:
    While the upper management really tries to nurture collaborative environment, the company simply hired too many wrong people as middle managers for the past few years due to fast growth. Too many people are rather abrasive and rude but are still tolerated for some reason.

Lack of Leadership:
    Most of middle managers (Senior Managers & Directors) have no clue as to how to lead people. Most of them have years of experiences, which makes them capable of doing the jobs themselves, but they are clueless when it comes to leading others. They are often too afraid to ask for the right resources to upper-management (causing the teams to run extremely lean and inefficient) and often see employees as disposables rather than assets.

Unclear Career Path:
    This is primary reason why I would advise anyone to stay away from the company. Because of extremely subjective and useless performance reviews, your promotion is likely to be affected by your manager's situation and favoritism. Promotion is rather dictated by your team's budget rather than your actual performance. In other words, your manager will find reason to NOT promote you if the budget is not there and they are more often than not to fight for you to cover themselves.

As for internal mobility, you better forget about it. Your current hiring manager has authority over whether she will let you move to another team and will often prevent you since your team likely is short-staffed. Even if you successfully maneuver enough to move over, you are expected to take responsibilities of 2 jobs for quite a while (Smooth transition means you take both responsibilities unless they hire someone fast and that person can fully do the job). Also, keep in mind that you will probably start at very low level if you move to another function.

Work-Life Balance:
    This will depend on your team. But I would NOT say the company has a culture of respecting your personal life and treating you as a responsible adult.

Disorganized:
    While the demand for the brand is strong enough to carry the company grow, its infrastructure is rather behind. Accountability is often not defined and your work will be extremely manual due to lack of system and processes.

Pay attention to your employees. I DO believe that upper management in Senior VP or Executive levels understand the importance of value system and culture, but your middle-managers are blinding you. I see the need to implement 360 degree review system to rate your managers and you also need to promote culture of "speaking truth" to really hear what they are thinking.

Have more rigorous hiring process. Skill is important but realize that cultural-fit is vital for company's growth. While you have leadership courses, I have seen quite few manager who take these training as waste of time and joke.

I felt like I worked for the Devil

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Troy, MI
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Troy, MI

I worked at Tory Burch (more than an year)

Pros

Some good people will work with you. Some I mean people who don't just think about themselves. Pay is relatively good given most Retail companies.

Cons

Where do I begin. First are the lack of Communication skills in the ENTIRE company. Last min. events thrown together and then corporate wonders why you didn't make goal. Manager's you expect you to basically do their job for them while they sit on there butts all day answering emails. Poor attitude from management. They empower you to make decisions, but when you make a decision that you think will leave the customer happy they yell at you for it. Sales associates have no problem stealing sales right in front of clients and behind other sales associates backs, and Managers won't do anything about it except say well you must not have been on top of your client. Unrealistic goals and tons of paper work that needs to be filled out daily but no time given to do it. Yelled at if you leave the floor for one second. Back of house team who is supposed to get your shoes takes forever and your left to have uncomfortable interaction with the client ( who is wondering why you aren't grabing the shoe you just asked for) petty fights and arguments. Basically if you want to be treated like a slave and have people yell at you all day then go ahead and work here, but i would rather lick gum off a sidewalk then be treated like an incompetent and uneducated airhead.

Come out on the floor more and be more attentive to what is actually going on. The money doesn't come in through the back door it comes in through the front. Be more considerate of the work load you give to sales associates especially when the store is short staff. Is it more important to tell you why I didn't make my sales goal for the day and take me off the floor every week to have a "touch base" or is it more important that I help customers in the store and follow up with customers who I helped previously. Stop throwing tantrums! LEAD BY EXAMPLE! I don't know anyone who likes working in an environment where you have to walk on egg shells every two seconds. If a sales associate makes an error don't address it on the sales floor or in the back in front of other associates. If someone calls in sick don't write them up. You are scarring people into believing they will lose there job because they got sick. When really all you are doing is contaminating your entire staff!

Unless you're a white blonde female its not the job for you

Former Employee - Stock/Sales Support in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Stock/Sales Support in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Tory Burch part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Cons

Heterosexual males and other women of color have a harder time in the company because they can't relate to being a white woman. No room for growth. Lots of challenges dealing with customers/clients. Lots of discrimination against people that aren't white women/women who look like Tory

Don't promote the brown noser over the hard working employee

Fabulous environment

Former Employee - Assistant Designer in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Assistant Designer in New York, NY

I worked at Tory Burch as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

fashionable people with great attitudes! good energy.

Cons

I did work some late hours but I really didn't mind as I was being compensated and enjoyed my work

Love growing with this company

Current Employee - Assistant General Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant General Manager

I have been working at Tory Burch full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Tory Burch is a company that truly cares about their employees. I've worked here for over 3 years and it has been so fun to see the brand change and grow. Our corporate team is constantly asking for the retail teams' feedback in order to better themselves and make our jobs easier. There is a generous employee discount and wardrobe allowance for all employees. The selling environment (at least in my store) is very friendly; everyone helps each other out to ensure the customer has the best experience possible.

Cons

Just like any other retail job, hours can be long and tiring during the holidays but it's not so bad when you're working with a fun team.

Great company for growth

I have been working at Tory Burch

Pros

The conpany. The people. Values intact.

Cons

There is no process and the internal organization

Seasonal Sales Assist

Former Employee - Sales Support in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Support in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Tory Burch part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great pay and discount, easy job tasks like working one-on-one with sales associate during shift/opening and unloading new merchandise, wardrobe provided including top, jeans, shoes and seasonal layer (sweater), organized shift times/breaks - always knew what you were going to be doing while you were there

Cons

Minimal training, lack of communication between management and other staff, LONG seasonal shifts - working almost full time hours for a part time position, no opportunity for growth, unorganized product and back stock, uncomfortable wardrobe - the flats are adorable but not to work in for 5+ hour shifts

High quality staff and product

I have been working at Tory Burch

Pros

Continuous opportunity for growth within the organization

Cons

Newer company is growing faster than expected. Challenges of being reactive instead of proactive

Tory Burch Photos