Tory Burch Reviews

Updated April 20, 2015
122 reviews filtered by

1. If you don't look like a Barbie doll... You won't get the job.

Former Employee - Manager
    Former Employee - Manager

I worked at Tory Burch full-time

Pros

great values and good uniform. Very generous discount and benefits. The company spends a lot of time developing employees... But who develops the managers?

Cons

New leadership in the mid west will get you fired or not promote you if you're not her type. Take a look at all the managers in this region. It's very unfortunate that this is the perception of so many employees.

Advice to Management

Exit interview all managers especially with tenure. I was an employee of 3+ years... And did not recieve an exit interview.

Great company, great sample sales, HR poorly run!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Tory Burch full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great sample sales for employees only where you get discounts
    Beautiful office

Cons

*Everyone sits on top of each other in computers lined up
    * pay little very cheap in salary. I got a 100 dollar increase at my yearly increase
    * human resource department very unprofessional. Don't value hard working employees over high management who does the bare min simply bc of title only my boss was verbally abusive and when speaking to hr about it giving written down evidence they turned their cheek

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees. I saw many hard working valuable employees come and go while the higher level lazy employees stayed because your leadership didn't want to listen to the reality of the situations happening in the office in regards to mismanagement. There is a very high turn over rate as a result of this.

3. Great People

I worked at Tory Burch

Pros

Great and fun people to work with.

Cons

Retail gets too repetitive. Management expect you to overachieve a little too much.

Advice to Management

Don't suck the fun out of the employees!

5. Great experience

Current Employee - Intern in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Intern in New York, NY

I have been working at Tory Burch

Pros

wonderful culture
    team-oriented
    great benefits
    wonderful atmosphere
    loved my supervisor

Cons

poor onboarding process
    not organized
    long hours
    not guaranteed job
    departments were divided

6. Disrespectful

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Tory Burch

Pros

The employee discounts were a great perk.

Cons

I was exited to work at Tory Burch part-time for fun, unfortunately several individuals in "management" were extremely disrespectful to me and the staff. Management and several employee's were very unprofessional and rude on and off the sales floor in front of customers. It is very embarrassing to have those individuals representing the company.

Advice to Management

Really examine the individuals who hold higher positions because the unprofessionalism trickled down to frontline staff and support. The nice employee's had low morale and the rude employee's continued to treat other with no respect.

7. Support over utilized, poor management, no leadership

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Marcos, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Marcos, TX

I have been working at Tory Burch

Pros

The clothing allowance, generous sales commission for sales associates, sick days and comp time.

Cons

No leadership, poor pay, too much delegation from management.

Time had expired

Former Employee - General Manager
    Former Employee - General Manager

I worked at Tory Burch full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I have some great friendships that have come out of my time at Tory. It was a great experience in the beginning when the approach was personal. I grew a lot as a manager but I would rather lead than manage.

Cons

*Disclaimer- this was not my experience the entire time but it is accurate for the last 2 years. Lack of appreciation for the reality of the expectations on store leadership. Nothing significant ever gets accomplished because everything gets talked to death. I just wanted to develop my team on the floor, give "transformational" customer service and make the company tons of money. I spent my time on the computer, at a desk, on conference calls and meeting with associates one on one like it was Groundhog's Day everyday. It was a micro manager's dream job. The amount of hours I worked because I was constantly losing under appreciated sales leads and support due to demanding, demeaning sales associates was unnecessary. There is also an excess of poor planning and communication from corporate. A lot of talks and emails but things were still very last minute which made appropriate staffing for stock, visual, maitanance, etc. a challenge. Associates can do no wrong and while coaching is encouraged if an associate is offended in any way then it is certainly the leadership's fault. Managers become fearful of coaching employees. I have never seen anyone lose their job (because nothing is ever really addressed) so the worst employees are always victorious due to lack of support and black and white accountability. Culture and values are amazing but if a store has challenging employees then the ones with the connection to the values end of leaving due to the power the challenging employee holds. I did feel that most corporate employees really believed in the values but lacked a sense of reality on what happens at a store level. I can't believe I stuck it out for the amount of time I was there. If it weren't for some relationships and hope that things were going to change after a pep talk or inspiring offsite I would have moved on a lot sooner but I didn't so I learned to manage through the gray.

Advice to Management

Strip away all of the nonsense. It's about the teams, the customer and passion for the brand. Show some trust and let your leadership lead on the floor by being an example of great service. All of the talking, tracking and micromanaging is unnecessary. Let the discussions happen on the floor with the teams and the customers. It'll free up everyone's time to do what's important and fill up everyone's time to stay away from the distraction of drama.

9. San Diego location needs help

Current Employee - Sales Support in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Support in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Tory Burch part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The discount is great. Hours are good and the pay is good for retail. Free uniform.

Cons

Management gives little to no direction. Co-workers are rude and disrespectful. Breaks are too short. People are lazy... some work hard while the lazy come to work hung over and hang out with friends or on their phones, while management doesn't say anything. If someone shows up late nothing is said.

Advice to Management

Fire the lazy and learn to keep your hard workers and give them opportunity to move into sales.

10. Good experience

Current Intern - Intern in New York, NY
    Current Intern - Intern in New York, NY

I have been working at Tory Burch as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Nice people, nice working environment

Cons

They only pay minimum wage to interns

Not what I expected

Former Employee - Sales Support Associate
    Former Employee - Sales Support Associate

I worked at Tory Burch part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

40% discount, nice looking store, some 60% weekends

Cons

I was a sales support associate at a Tory Burch store. When I got the job, I was told that I was going to be a "jack of all trades," doing a bunch of different things on the floor and OCCASIONALLY in the back room. This was a lie. I was a slave in the back room, bringing out products to the sales associates who just stood all fancy in their head-to-toe Tory Burch outfits on the floor. I did all of the work for them and they were making the commission. This is why I lasted 3 months. They made me take out the trash every night, even when I was in the middle of something, because they thought they were just too good to do it themselves. I had nothing to do with the sales or the customers. I worked my butt off in the back room, opening shipments and lifting heavy boxes and organizing products on shelves. I was hired as a SALES SUPPORT associate, not a stock associate...or should I say slave.

Advice to Management

Treat every employee equally. The employees in the back room deserve as much attention as the associates on the floor. Don't treat the support and stock people like slaves. Everyone should pick up their own trash and contribute evenly.

I would rather work in lower-end designer store and be treated equally than work in a higher-end environment like this where there is a hierarchy of employees.

Tory Burch Photos