Toshiba Reviews

Updated September 4, 2014
Updated September 4, 2014

Toshiba President & CEO Hisao Tanaka
Hisao Tanaka

Pros
  • Good corporate culture, great work life balance, stable & structured work environment (in 7 reviews)

• nice working environment, good benefits (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Long hours make work life balance difficult (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Toshiba Suffers from Multiple Personality Disorder-Channel or not channel

Former Employee - Sales and Marketing  in  Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Sales and Marketing in Irvine, CA

I worked at Toshiba

Pros

Company has a great reputation in the computer market; though it suffered from an identity crisis during my tenure. Solid product with great technology advancements...and understood that sales people should use the same products they sell.

Cons

Suffered from an identity crisis, couldn't decide to play direct or indirect channels...often competing against itself. Once the company decided to create an identity and attempt to gain channel market confidence; it couldn't decide on the products...often jumping from computers to cameras to projectors to small appliances. In end, Toshiba settled its identity problems and focused back on channel markets.

Pay attention to those that carry the load and reward them for the efforts over and above. Look beyond what's in front of them to see that it isn't always what it looks like...and invisible others are doing the work.

Lots of room for improvement

Current Employee - Worker  in  Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Worker in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Toshiba

Pros

Toshiba America is group of companies under the Toshiba Corporation and I can only comment on the PC division (which wasn't a choice). Work/Life balance is somewhat respected and comp is mostly fair for various positions in which I am aware. Many people at the 'grunt' level (PMs, Planners, Marketers, etc.) are nice and fun to be around which makes for good work days and easy collaboration when necessary. Located in Southern California, which is a great plus, but not something you can attribute to the company per se. For the most part Senior Management are very approachable and down to earth and I believe ultimately do care about the rank and file employees.

Cons

Rampant dysfunction. Every company has it to some degree, but this place has it bad. Likely stemming from 1) Years of weak leadership/direction and continuity. Going into 4 GMs and 5 Marketing VPs since the turn of the millenium (with some having non marketing backgrounds). Singular focus on one product with little effort to diversify even to complimentary products even as the competitive landscape does. When the little effort is made, it is nearly always in response to a competitor when we used to lead the market. Tremendous amount of busy work pushed to the rank and file that is useless, unnecessary, and does not move the business forward just to show 'value'. Very top down company structure but executives are not incented to take risks so what results lately is often mediocrity or failure. 2) The inability to effectively communicate to Tokyo and convince them on the US position regarding a many and various things. Equally at fault for many of the competitive ills with Senior Mgmt. Company got drunk off of the spiked kool aid when we dominated the market in the late 90s and was extrememly slow to respond. Only now has it improved to some notable degree but perhaps it is too late as the market is hypercompetitive with bigger, better funded, and more apt for risk taking companies that now lead where we once did. and 3) HR's inability to recruit quality personnel and terminate past bad choices. For every quality person hired, I estimate that there are 2 'WTF' hires. Its like HR purposely passes over the good candidates for open reqs and looks for people that have that weird quirk that they believe can handle (or have no choice but to handle) the dysfunction because they think that the good high quality recruit will quit shortly after experiencing the dysfunction so why bother. Maybe they know this already and that's the reason. Who knows? And no one individually gets fired because they suck. The cognitive dissonance that they have on this is amazing. If they fired someone crappy, it would be an acknowledgment that they screwed up. If I were God and could let go anyone I wanted on the spot for the good of the company, I seriously think that I could cut 20% of the headcount tomorrow and there would be zero effect on the business. If that dosn't seem like much, that's just the initial 'don't even have to think about it' number. There would be more after more evaluation.

Take some risks! I know you get paid a lot and who wants to rock the boat and mess that up when you are bringing home crazy money. But at some point, you probably have enough money so hopefully you want to make a difference, make your mark, and do quality work. Have something to point to and be proud of. I did that. I made difference. I was a leader. Get rid of the dead weight. I am including me if you think that I am one of them. You know who the are. They are the people that show up at 11 and leave at 2. Don't show up to meetings or are constantly unprepared. Piss off the good folks because they mess up other people's work or opportunity. Recruit to the position and need! Stop trying to shove these square pegs in the round hole when you reorg. If they aren't qualified, send them packing! Sounds harsh but your responsibilty is to the greater good. You either have no idea how badly it affects overall morale of good people when you keep bad people here or you just don't care and don't want to deal with it. Listen to the rank and file or have a rank and file advocate that can give you our feelings. Stop pushing useless programs, policies, and busy work to us that distract us from doing our jobs. I know some of these probably get pushed down to you from Tokyo but who are you fighting for? Who are you responsible to? Just yourself and your job security or those that consider you their leader as well? Someone needs to push back up and take our position sometimes. That's you!

Great company with limited amabitions

Current Employee - Senior Sales  in  London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Senior Sales in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Toshiba full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great to work for. Really look after and train staff well

Cons

Hard to progress and even harder in a changing market where their market share is at risk

Be more ambitious and take more risk

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

FAE

I have been working at Toshiba

Pros

nice environment, everyone seems cheerful

Cons

culture might be a problem down the road

Secured company to work for

I have been working at Toshiba full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

It is a secured job , nice work-life balance

Cons

No perks, benefits, slow growth

introducing more pro employee policies will help a lot

Got a good execution experience

Current Employee - Deputy Manager-Tg Island Engineering  in  Gurgaon, Haryana (India)
    Current Employee - Deputy Manager-Tg Island Engineering in Gurgaon, Haryana (India)

I have been working at Toshiba full-time for more than a year

Pros

As toshiba is one of the best steam turbine supplier it's good experience yo work with.

Cons

Not much process driven work process

Employee talent and capability shall be identified and give good responsibility.

Very good career start

Former Employee - Module Lead  in  Bangalore (India)
    Former Employee - Module Lead in Bangalore (India)

I worked at Toshiba full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

- Good work
    - very good for freshers

Cons

- Work timings are very strict like a school kid
    - senior levels growth is limited

very satisfying

I have been working at Toshiba

Pros

nice working environment, good benefits

Cons

office room is a little bit crowded

Toshiba corp. Tokyo Japan

Former Employee - Technical Manager  in  Tokyo (Japan)
    Former Employee - Technical Manager in Tokyo (Japan)

I worked at Toshiba full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

excellent people. Excellent benefit. Good work life balance

Cons

Strict work enviroment. Too high securities on PC

Cle direction to employees will be better to undestand

Great company, excellent products.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Dubai (United Arab Emirates)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dubai (United Arab Emirates)

I have been working at Toshiba full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Good corporate culture, great work life balance, stable & structured work environment.

Cons

Dominated locally by one nationality (not Japanese), due to this the culture is being heavily diluted and the brand is being tarnished locally.

Learn to work with your team, don't work against them. Motivate your team through leading by example, not trying to motivate with fear. Be a leader, get involved, get your hands dirty. Don't be afraid of being replaced, if you are good at your job you should have no fear.

Worked for Toshiba? Contribute to the Community!