Total Hockey

Michael Benoit

Fun job as a student

Former Employee - Customer Specialist in Burnsville, MN
    Former Employee - Customer Specialist in Burnsville, MN

I worked at Total Hockey part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Easy to get along with management. Fun job if you have an interest in hockey. Customers are usually very easy to work with as they share with you a love for hockey.

Cons

Small raises and low starting wage.

Have more training for employees in regards to sizing and equipment in general.

Enjoyable place to work, Minimal Advancement.

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Earth City, MO
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Earth City, MO

I worked at Total Hockey full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The Culture was great! Great atmosphere! According to current employees, they now take off 2nd-tier holidays like the Fourth of July, New Years Day, etc. Benefits are great as well! Being a part of an exciting, growing company was fun! They also helped me with scheduling while I was working on my degree.

Cons

Lack of advancement -- I was personally at my same position for over four years and was hoping to advance my career there. Opportunities came, but I never had the opportunity to show my true abilities.

The only Advice -- Value the folks you hire! Sad that people work so hard, yet see opportunities available given to people outside the company in a blink. Make new hires feel like they made a great CAREER choice!

Just Decent

I have been working at Total Hockey

Pros

The people I work with are amazing. The company culture is great as well as the industry. It's definitely a fun environment.

Cons

As with any retail company, you have you busy and slow times of the year. Employees all do more than what they are paid for. It is extremely difficult to get a bonus here.

Pay the employees what they are worth and hire help so others are not slammed with work that is not theirs to do.

Great Place to work but under paid

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager

I worked at Total Hockey full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Its Fun, Great place to perfect customer service in a specialty field. Learn to lead associates of all ages.

Cons

You work most holidays. You never receive the yearly bonus specified in your contract. You always work more than 40 hours with out overtime.

Total Hockey is a great place to work if you not worried about pay

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Detroit, MI
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Detroit, MI

I worked at Total Hockey full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Fun atmosphere. Fun people. Good customers for the most part. Hockey!

Cons

Poor Pay. Poor Management. No overtime pay. Work Holidays and Weekends.

Awful! Loved what I did hated doing it for Total Hockey

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Elmhurst, IL
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Elmhurst, IL

I worked at Total Hockey full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

That they offer benefits.
    Their discount program is okay but most retail outlets offer discount's for employee's in the 10% over cost range, not 25% off retail.

Cons

Terrible structure they like to implement new policies and procedures without first trying them.
    The discount program could be better
    The owner is cheap and often likes to take manufacturer giveaway's for employee's and instead inventory and sell them. Same with giveaway's after large tournaments.
    On the internal message board for the company you have to tell them what product you are out of to have it re-ordered which makes you wonder why they pay purchaser's and people to analyze their inventory.
    Recently they got a new clothing line which Michael the owner decided to give everyone an extra 15% off and his direct quote is "no retro activity, thank me for giving you 25% off and buy more at 40% off".
    The pay is awful they entice you with bonuses that never come. Last year we were told to due to expansion and the fact that we are holding too much inventory we can't give bonuses.
    It's also crazy that they think that anyone can do certain things. Some of us have been in the industry for 10 years and have forgotten more than some know. At the same time hope a customer doesn't come in asking for you by name they look down on that as well. Again since everyone can do everything the same in their eye's.
    Working at a retail hockey store that's open on the fourth of July is crazy, same with New Years day. It's usually the biggest hockey event of the year.
    Never any positive feedback from upper management or the owner. The owner is super crazy into chain of command and will walk your store tell you it looks great and then your distric manager will trash it once he leaves. Finally telling you what he thought.
    My favorite was working in Downer's Grove he would come in and say he didn't like the look of the store. You would ask him what he would like changed and he responds with I don't know I just don't like it. Where do you go with that?

Please learn that people make you money. The longer they are there the more people trust them the more money they spend. You obviously do not realize or remember that the hockey community is very small and that the same 1,500 customer go through the store every week. It is not a best buy not everyone need's want's hockey apparel or equipment so please stop treating people like they are disposable. At the same time try buying land instead of renting and you may see your bottom line get better. Also have your district manager's stop warranting items that should not be and people will stop expecting it to happen. Same with discounts your district manager's give anyone what they want and then they demand it every time. Maybe that's why you run a 60% mark up on products. Either way if you treat people nicely and respect them you may eventually get people that care about your company.

Ok job if you don't need to make any money

I have been working at Total Hockey full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Fun atmosphere for a part time job. Good discount

Cons

Horrible pay. They expect managers to work 45+ hours a week, with no incentives. I don't know how anyone lives off the wages. Their idea of "merit increases" barely even cover the rate of inflation. Managers are told they are eligible for annual bonuses (don't hold your breath, none have been given in 3 years). Only 1 paid holiday a year. CHRISTMAS DAY WAS TAKEN AWAY AS A PAID HOLIDAY LAST YEAR. If you try to work above and beyond, you will never see any thanks or reciprocation. Upper Management listens to no one, and makes ridiculous decisions based on their own whims. Very little support from corporate.

Put forth some effort into employee retention. You have the mentality that every employee is replaceable and it really feels that way as a worker in this company. If you invest in good employees and compensate them fairly, you will reach your bottom lines and customers will be happier. Take some clues from successful companies, almost all of which take care of their employees, not turn them into retail burnouts

Awful, Awful New Manger

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Total Hockey full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Michael Benoit, the owner is a very down to earth owner and very willing to listen to employees.

Cons

No personal growth, opportunity for movement in company. Managers and other Asst. Managers absence constantly an issue. No structure in company discipline.

Unfortunately this company is a flash in the pan. The fact that all but one employee at this particular group of stores actually plays Ice Hockey is abysmal.

Total Lacrosse

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Chesterfield, MO
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Chesterfield, MO

I have been working at Total Hockey full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Flexible schedule, emerging market, great customer service and sales experience

Cons

Not much opportunity for advancement, low pay

Easy going, but boring.

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Maplewood, MN
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Maplewood, MN

I have been working at Total Hockey part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Discount, relaxing, work in hockey, fun staff

Cons

Not much to do, assistant manager was awful

Work on managers