Total Petrochemicals and Refining USA

Be The First To
Add Photos

Total Petrochemicals and Refining USA President & CEO Graeme Burnett

Graeme Burnett

I've been here for 25 years + and this a very stable and career opportunity orientated place to work.

ProsStable employment here with the opportunity to move up in the Company. Pay is very fair now and it seems we may begin to receive bonuses in operations like the other large Companies in this comparison.

ConsShift work is the majority of the work if you can manage the days and nights. There is overtime here so you can increase your yearly income.

Advice to Senior ManagementPush for the bonuses. This job is more than most management really realizes with the responsibilities we have to take on. This will give your employees more pride than you will ever know.

Dilbert Works Here

Lab Chemist (La Porte Research and Technology Center) (Current Employee)
    La Porte, TX

ProsGenuinely good people; misery loves company but the company is good. Total is the perfect place if you're fresh out of school or if you've been put out to pasture and simply want to finish the 2-3 years before retirement in a stress free environment. Think Adult Retirement Daycare Center.

ConsIncompetent management from the top down. There is a mass exodus of engineers, chemists, and operators leaving the company. The safety program is in shambles with the new shared services consolidation and it's only a matter of time before a catastrophic incident occurs. Poor communication and dismal morale. Chemists fresh out of school come in at a higher pay rate than tenured chemists. I don't know a single person here who isn't looking for another job at the moment, myself included.

Advice to Senior ManagementMove to a GROWING oil & gas company before it's too late to salvage your career. Don't go down with the ship...

Excellent mix of people with experience and newer employees with fresh insight.

ProsThe people! Most jobs allow you to be responsible for a variety of related responsibilities. The financial strength of the Company allows it to weather the cyclical nature of the industry.

ConsThere has been a tremendous amount of change over the last few years. Also, there are more organizational changes pending. Many of the changes have occurred at the senior management level.

Advice to Senior ManagementI would suggest more communication at all locations and levels.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A great employer!

G&A (Current Employee)
    Houston, TX

ProsThe people! Most are from the South and Southwest having that "can do", friendly spirit! Great, competitive benefits too. Excellent career development/management program, with many opportunities for advancement.

ConsToo many higher management positions occupied by people from Europe. Is there a future for me?

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to promote from within as has been the past practice and minimize the number of people from Europe in the management ranks.

Great starting out place.

ProsMoves you around frequently, not in the business of laying people off.

ConsWhen people leave/retire, they are not being replaced.

Great atmosphere and nice people

Analytical Chemist (Current Employee)
    La Porte, TX

ProsIt's a great environment. Co-workers are very friendly and nice. Management is pretty lenient when it comes to taking off/vacation.

ConsThey are cutting head count.

Terrible company to work for

La Porte, TX

ProsFlexible schedule, not much else to say as company is pretty awful to work for

ConsTerrible upper management
    No work/ life balance
    Safety only a concern when it affects bottom line

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your employees

Great people, poor structure

ProsCoworkers and working facility is great

ConsOrganizational structure is constantly changing

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more conscientious of employees needs and overall moral during time of reorganization

Good people. Great benefits and fair compensation

Technical Advisor (Former Employee)
    Houston, TX

ProsGreat people. Autonomy. Able to set own goals. Great work team environment.

ConsAverage in terms of "motivation". But no complaints. You can do as much as you want.

Advice to Senior ManagementMotivation. Accountability.

Good local people, questionable decisions at the executive and global level

Buyer (Former Employee)

ProsNice family atmosphere in the plants
    Many learning opportunities
    Promote within company

ConsCurrently too focused on short-term savings
    Take way too long to make hiring positions and replace vacant positions, if at all
    Very heavy work load
    Relatively low pay

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in your employees- compensate good performers so that they actually want to stay with the company. When someone puts in their notice, make it a priority to replace them in a timely manner, rather than expecting the other employees in the department to shoulder the additional workload indefinitely. Think through and carefully plan directives before announcing them and then repealing them, or just never implementing them at all.

Worked for Total Petrochemicals and Refining USA? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Total Petrochemicals and Refining USA reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Total Petrochemicals and Refining USA CEO Graeme Burnett. All 28 reviews posted anonymously by Total Petrochemicals and Refining USA employees.