Total Quality Logistics Reviews

Updated April 16, 2015
556 reviews filtered by

1. Great Company!

I have been working at Total Quality Logistics

Pros

Great entry level sales salary. Work hard play hard! Growing like crazy!

Cons

You really have to put in the work to make the money that they talk about their top brokers making.

2. You get out what you put in, and if you are willing to give it your all-sky's the limit!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Total Quality Logistics full-time (more than a year)

Pros

competitive base salary, plus 25% commissions rate structure on top, great benefits, fun environment, very competitive and energetic team, a place you can be successful if you work hard.

Cons

The drawbacks are the same you would face with any sales role. If you are afraid of hard work, cold calls, rejection, staying after hours-you will not succeed here...but you also probably won't succeed in any other sales roles either

Advice to Management

As we continue to grow in Dallas and get settled, I can see more and more team building/engagement events starting to get set up and that is a great bonus

3. The hardest, most rewarding experience of my life.

Current Employee - Logistics Account Executive in Charleston, SC
    Current Employee - Logistics Account Executive in Charleston, SC

I have been working at Total Quality Logistics full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Money....It's not uncommon to make 6 figures in your first two years...Leadership development - I have been promoted 3 times in 3 years and will now get the opportunity to open up my own satellite office in 2016...Environment - I work with my best friends and have the autonomy to play ping pong and corn hole to blow off steam when I have spare time

Cons

You have to work your butt off, especially for the first 2 years. The work is hard and can be monotonous at times. It takes a special person to be driven enough to make it. Also, being on call on your birthday, Christmas, and 3am isn't fun.

Not For Everyone

I have been working at Total Quality Logistics full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Work environment, earning potential, fast paced, upward mobility, and you are in control of your success or failure. If you are capable of coming to work and actually working all day without someone cracking a whip than this for you. If you want to make a lot of money fast no matter how much work you have to put in this is a job for you. If you are mentally tough and rejection and criticism strengthens you instead of breaking your spirit this is the job for you. Hard work is often rewarded here because most people today want to do as little as possible.

Cons

You must put in long hours to even sniff success, constant rejection, bad situations that are out of your control, high stress, vacations and going out to lunch is frowned upon unless you making well over 100k. 80+ cold calls a day to people who generally have no interest in working with you when in sales, 100+ calls to trucking companies that intend on making your job as difficult as possible when in training. Unfortunately it is human nature for most to show favoritism to people that tell them how great they are on a daily basis. Politics isn't usually an issue if you're putting in the time and effort. Favoritism should be shown to the hardest working not those that spend the most time trying to be your friend.

Advice to Management

Always push people to keep building their books but don't discount someone that isn't doing as much revenue as not working as hard. It will take some people a little longer to put things together so it's difficult to put a hard and fast timeline on an individual. I know you don't want to hear this but some of your future leaders just got lucky or were all but handed their book.Most created that luck but certainly not all, and you're a fool to think that everyone isn't aware of it.

You need to prop up the people making the calls, putting in the hours , and helping the new guys every chance they get because those are the people your employees respect most. Yes, we are here to make money as much money as possible, but revenue does not equal respect in every case. No one respects the idiot that does 10k+ and doesn't practice what she/he preaches. Someone that sends out an email on a Saturday about how everyone needs to work harder than takes 3 days off.... Yes, you should give people the support they need to continue growing their business, but some are given enough support so they can virtually retire. These same people will make 3 calls all day than beg for help at 1630. This is not acceptable. I don't care how much they are bringing in if you have someone that does nothing all day and doesn't contribute the team in anyway than they will kill the culture of hard work you are trying to create. You want people that lead by example not a cheerleader.

Nothing kills peoples motivation to work hard faster than someone that didn't work hard and got lucky, or was handed an account(s) because they kissed butt move up in the company. If you want to create a culture where working hard and staying late is the norm than don't fire anyone that stays late and works hard. It seems to me the people working the hardest are those that need to in order to keep their job, but those who get some kind of stabilty put it in nuetral and no longer prospect. Your employees have more respect for the hustler trying to keep their job than the person who hits it big early and just goes through the motions.

Stop giving accounts to people who haven't made it through sales training becuase it kills morale. If someone keeps losing accounts they have been given stop giving them accounts. Encourage those doing well to be more humble and teach others how they did it as opposed to passive aggressively belittling their peers. It's a sickening feeling when you hear someone bragging about success they didn't earn. Honestly, you need real leaders willing to call these people out not
    yes men that are afraid of confrentation. You need people capable of seeing through the bull and call out the guy bragging after doing 20k off his dad's company and hasn't set up one other decent customer. While he should try to get every load from
    Dad he should also be made aware that he shouldn't brag about it. You need people that are incesseptable to having there butts kissed because the second you show the guy or girl favoritism because they are prospecting the manager as opposed to actual companies you will lose hearts and minds of the ones working the hardest.

Be more selective of who you put in management positions because as I'm sure you have found out the best sales people don't always make the best managers and vice versa. You can't expect people to be inspired by someone they don't respect. You need people that can inspire because this job requires constant reminders of why we're here. It can't be just money, but the oppurtunities that money creates. You can't have managers and brokers in leadership roles making 250k with fishhooks in their pockets. They should be giving the new people a taste of their success so they want it even more. They don't have to like them, but they must respect them inside and outside of the office. These people should be investing their time and money to success of the team. A 9 to 5 quarterback will never lead a successful team even if they have all the talent in the world.

6. Everything I wanted!... except work/life balance

Former Employee - Logistics Account Executive Trainee in Florence, KY
    Former Employee - Logistics Account Executive Trainee in Florence, KY

I worked at Total Quality Logistics full-time (less than a year)

Pros

good work environment, help is available, training is fantastic, people are genuine with their emotions (good and bad) and potential to make A LOT of money.

Cons

Required hours are extreme. Work consumes your life.

Advice to Management

Everything is good. However, more people would stay if you could figure out a way to provide work/life balance.

7. Don't always believe what you read

Former Employee - LAE (Broker) in Dayton, OH
    Former Employee - LAE (Broker) in Dayton, OH

I worked at Total Quality Logistics full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

There is a lot of money to be made in this industry. TQL gave me the opportunity to do so and I did. They have great training and support when needed. If you ever choose to leave (which you should) they supplied you with everything you will need to succeed in this industry.

Cons

I worked in the Dayton OH office, along with HQ in Cincinnati. The smaller offices feel like you are always on the radar, the bigger offices you seem like a small nothing to them which is what you want at times. TQL is always changing…it’s not always for the best. They always operate in the gray area and when you do it is not allowed. They are the LOWEST commission % in the industry 20-25% depending on if someone has done business with that company within a year. There are companies out there that pay 35-60% commissions with that same support that TQL supplies.

Advice to Management

give your employees the chance to succeed without breathing down their necks. there was always the feeling that you were next on the chopping block even if you were making money and making a lot of money for the company

8. It's a fun job but a total dog eat dog world.

I have been working at Total Quality Logistics

Pros

Good people, Fun Environment, fun events.

Cons

its a hard job. not for everyone
    LONG HOURS

9. Sales

Former Employee - Logistics Account Executive in Cincinnati, OH
    Former Employee - Logistics Account Executive in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at Total Quality Logistics full-time (more than a year)

Pros

they have a gym at the hq

Cons

everything else pretty much sucked

Advice to Management

value your employees more!

Get paid what you are worth!

Current Employee - Logistics Account Executive

I have been working at Total Quality Logistics full-time (more than a year)

Pros

25% commissions, good benefits, fun environment, energetic team, decent base salary....a great job right out of college and a place you can be successful if you work hard. I have a number of friends here less than 1 year making 50k plus.

Cons

Saturday's during training stink, but they don't last forever. Could do more in the way of annual bonuses. More half days on Friday.

Advice to Management

Continue to invest in carrier relations and your employees. Loyalty is priceless.

Everything I was looking for.

I have been working at Total Quality Logistics full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Leadership is very straightforward - as are recruiters. I felt prepared to take on TQL from the start. My effort is rewarded - and I've learned so much through ongoing training. Technology is tops. My results = my earnings and promotion; it's up to me to make it happen - and I have. But I've been prepared to outwork others since the day I walked through the door. I've experienced a ton of flexibility for any time off I've needed - I have even won several extra days off for performance. Time off is up to each individual - you have to still produce results.

Cons

It can be stressful - but based on my income and advancement it's been worth it. Nearly 3 years later I'm more driven and focused than ever before. We're changing and growing - you have to align yourself with leadership and trust each change because it's made to help us remain an innovator in our industry.

Advice to Management

Keep it up! I've had a great experience with all leaders I've worked with. Thanks for all your efforts.

Total Quality Logistics Photos