Total Wine & More

Updated August 20, 2014
2.3

Total Wine & More Co-Owners David Trone & Robert Trone
David Trone & Robert Trone

Pros
  • You get to learn a lot about wine, beer and spirits (in 9 reviews)

• Free wine, good employee discount (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • There is no work-life balance despite what they try to sell you (in 15 reviews)

• I've work long hours before at my previous job but this was ridicules (in 17 reviews)

More Highlights

18 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Wonderful Work Environment!

Current Employee - Corporate  in  Potomac, MD
    Current Employee - Corporate in Potomac, MD

I have been working at Total Wine & More full-time for less than a year

Pros

What I appreciate most about TWM is how I am encouraged to grow with the company. My voice is heard and my creative input is welcomed and valued. Overall TWM provides a positive work environment. I have already recommended several friends to work here!

Cons

I would like to see more structure but keep in mind this company is growing at the speed of lightening.

Challenging, but overall a positive experience

Former Employee - Manager II  in  Potomac, MD
    Former Employee - Manager II in Potomac, MD

I worked at Total Wine & More full-time for more than a year

Pros

I worked in the corporate office, and I've never worked w/ a smarter group of people, and likely never will. I left for a different retail opportunity, and the talent level is nowhere near the same. I worked on the promotions team, which offered me the chance to manage a really talented group of people, and interact with all levels of Management. I also felt like my opinion mattered. Compensation was fine. No bonus (at the time I left for my level, this may have changed), but base pay was OK. The business model is great, and results while I was there were very good. The company feels like it is a safe place to work for long term security (if you don't burn out)

Cons

As many have noted, micro-managing was commonplace (not so much from my supervisor, but from levels above). Systems weren't great (I left in late 2012). My specific job required far too much busy work (my team was over-burdended) so I didn't have as much time to focus on big picture. Direction of the company was clear however, and as noted above w/ interaction w/ Sr Mgmt, when I could focus on big picture it was rewarding. Looking back after being gone for just over a year - I think the workload was overwhelming, and the focus was on getting tasks done. Not enough time was spent on planning and big picture, and part of that was system related.

Great place to get into the beverage/retail industry, but don't stay long.

Former Employee - Promotions  in  Potomac, MD
    Former Employee - Promotions in Potomac, MD

I worked at Total Wine & More full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good discount, some departments have good manager, but your ideas may still be ignored and micro managed.

Cons

This is a place where executives leave in the masses. I worked there for 3 years and I have seen 5 executives leave.
    Employees at all levels are not given the proper tools to do their job. Stores don't have what they need and that explains a lot of their frustration and why they are so difficult to deal with each day. The corporate office also does not have the necessary tools to support the stores. TW needs help and needs to break down the silos. The owners think things are doing well now but there will come a point when Amazon will hurt them. If you take a job here make sure you start looking for a new job the minute you start.

Show more faith in employees. Have a work from home policy. People don't want to hear that we "never close" and always need to be in the office regardless of the weather.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Most Unprofessional Place I Have Ever Worked

Former Employee - Advertising  in  Potomac, MD
    Former Employee - Advertising in Potomac, MD

I worked at Total Wine & More full-time for more than a year

Pros

As a former employee at headquarters I would sometimes get free wine. Some employees get Wine For Life- make sure you request it. Not everyone receives it. I understand it is given to salaried employees which I was not.

Cons

This really is the most unprofessional place I have ever worked. Managers, Directors and Vice Presidents have been known to make off-color remarks that can be borderline racist or sexist. Employees are known to be so mean they make co-workers cry without management correction. Managers known to miss deadlines are given fake deadlines. The tolerance for mediocre performance is unbelievable.

Managers discourage employees from taking days off or time off for doctor's appointments. Decisions are made purely on favoritism. Mediocre employees are promoted to managers due to the personal interests of management.

If you are not among one of the favorites you will be blacklisted and made miserable enough to quit. There is a common thought of "burn them and turn them" with employees in the advertising team.

If you are looking to work here...run now! Your standard week is 45 hours, but often is more than that. And don't expect management or co-workers to help. If you get a job here your life will involve nothing but work. There is no work-life balance despite what they try to sell you.

Good luck! You will need it!

Hire better managers or train them to be better managers! Value your dedicated employees rather than the ones who kiss your butt!

Be objective of some of the negative reviews of this place (TWM Corp is nice)

Current Employee - IT Business Analyst, II  in  Potomac, MD
    Current Employee - IT Business Analyst, II in Potomac, MD

I have been working at Total Wine & More full-time for less than a year

Pros

- Friendly Environment: (My boss's boss even tries to make a point out of seeing how my day/life is going.)
    - Responsive and open to feedback: (I was initially concerned that my team did not try to get to know each other and was too work focused. I talked to my Manager about it, and they actively worked with me to help build the team environment. I wasn't expecting such a positive response, its not often that you find managers that are genuine. Maybe its because I'm in the IT area and not a different business unit from some of the negative reviews?)
    - Work planning: (Initially, I thought it was kind of micro managing, but every friday afternoon I plan out my following week with my Manager. The benefit is that if there is more work than 45 hours, we work together to make sure that I don't have to stay late to get done what is expected of me.)
    - Review/Performance management process: I just had a mid year check-in, where we worked together to define what I can work on to develop myself at TWM.
    - Logical documentation process: (As a Business Analyst, it can be difficult to clearly document requirements. Their process starts with a document for current state and process, then a document for desired future state. Once those are set, then detailed requirements are written. This helps identify all the issues so you don't have to go back and revisit requirements too many times. Flows smoothly.)
    - Work with smart people: (The interview process was no joke, and I see why when I talk to my colleagues. They know what they are doing, I almost feel like I'm the one not pulling my weight)

So I have been with TWM for a little bit now (About 2-3 Months). I like that it is small but growing. My manager used to be at my level and was promoted within 2 years. His manager at one point was writing requirements too. Definitely opportunities to move up. We just moved into a new office building which is allot nicer than the old one.

For commuting options: I recently found out that the new building is along the MTA commuter bus route that goes all the way from Hagerstown and Frederick.

Cons

- Work/Life balance and core working hours: Analysts and Developers (At least in CRM/Marketing Systems) work 45 hours minimum with core hours of 9am to 4pm. Which means You can work either 7am-4pm, 8am-5pm or 9am-6pm. Given the location, and bad traffic, its tough to do anything productive after work. The company policy is no tele-working. (To be fair: I talked to my Manager about this, and if something comes up like a house appointment, I can work from home a day...as long as its not a regular basis)
    - Dress Code: I have to wear a shirt and tie every day. I am just not as comfortable wearing one. It would be expected that IT development shops are lax on dress code, but its enforced.

- Allow tele-presence to be more encouraged for employees. With the new phone system we can route our desk calls to our cell phones anyway. Why sit in a desk if you prefer to work in a different environment?

Positive experience

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager  in  Potomac, MD
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Potomac, MD

I worked at Total Wine & More full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great education given to all associates from the sales team up through the management teams. Fun work environment and lots of benefits to most associates.

Cons

promotions for associates below management level are decided on by AVPs and DMs and taken out of the hands of the local management staff. Normally leading to the wrong person getting the job.

Also there is lots of room for growth and promotion from management level up if your willing to relocate out west or down south. Very little chance of management growth and promotion in the north east.

Be careful how much control you give the AVPs.

Closer to slavery than a professional career

Current Employee - District Manager  in  Potomac, MD
    Current Employee - District Manager in Potomac, MD

I have been working at Total Wine & More full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Some good people at the store level. They provide a LOT of training for in-store wine teams. That level of training is the #1 positive. The concept is a good idea.

Cons

A lot of cons in this company at the corporate level. The corporate office has the most political environment I have ever seen. The politics is driven by ownership and senior management. The owners really only want "yes" people in the office and then work them to death. New ideas are never received well... you support the VP or owner's viewpoint only. There is no honest feedback.

Stop the politics! Be honest about expected workload. Become a real comapany and value your people.

Discount wine is good but everything else needs work

Former Employee - Senior Specialist  in  Potomac, MD
    Former Employee - Senior Specialist in Potomac, MD

I worked at Total Wine & More full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

-Discount on wine
    -They're trying to implement some "fun" events at corporate office
    -Free wine (if you're one of the lucky ones)

Cons

-45+ hour work week
    -They take themselves too seriously, like they're performing brain surgery or something
    -Only get a few holidays even at corporate office
    -Very cliquish atmosphere
    -Health insurance options changed EVERY year for three years in a row
    -Free wine is only for some people, not everyone, which creates a "have & have nots" system
    -Depending on what dept you're in there is basically no chance of promotion

DO NOT WORK HERE!!!

Current Employee - Graphic Designer  in  Potomac, MD
    Current Employee - Graphic Designer in Potomac, MD

I have been working at Total Wine & More full-time for more than a year

Pros

The Payment.... Some free products

Cons

I've work long hours before at my previous job but this was ridicules. Everyone at the company works 9 + hours everyday and sometimes weekend. The concept of work/life balance does not exists.

Let's talk about benefits ..... well they are not that great so I would recommend that you either do two things; Under 25 stay on your parents insurance or make sure your on your spouse insurance.

You WILL have a manager that does not know how to lead because they do not have training on how to lead. So expect to have a boss that will talk to you any kind of way, threaten to fire you over personal reasons, never getting constructive feedback, and will not approve vacation time.

You ALL need training

Great place to work!

Current Employee - Corporate Office  in  Potomac, MD
    Current Employee - Corporate Office in Potomac, MD

I have been working at Total Wine & More full-time for less than a year

Pros

The company holds high expectations for its team members and rewards those who meet them. Supervisors are committed to training and developing team members so these high expectations are clear and attainable. Growth is encouraged so they often promote from within. The company is growing so fast so lots to learn and room to move up. Management really promotes new ideas from all levels of the company

Cons

Because it is a young company things can be hectic.

Worked for Total Wine & More? Contribute to the Community!