Total Wine & More

Updated January 22, 2015
2.3

Total Wine & More Co-Owners David Trone & Robert Trone
David Trone & Robert Trone

Pros
  • You get to learn a lot about wine, beer and spirits (in 6 reviews)

• Generous employee discount (on highest profit margin direct wines), willing to work with employees so they can have outside life (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Forget about any semblance of work/life balance (in 16 reviews)

• Longhours (generally 10-12 hours, sometimes 13), with one 30 minute break (in 14 reviews)

More Highlights

A great team, and a good time to join the company

Current Employee - Wine Associate
    Current Employee - Wine Associate

I have been working at Total Wine & More full-time (less than a year)

Pros

There seem to be a decent number of negative reviews, so I want to put in a good word. I personally love the team at my store. Also, a retail gig that offers benefits after 90 days, and PTO in your first year is far better than you could find elsewhere.

Cons

Shifts can be, and often are long (9-10.5hrs on average) Work/life balance? Fogettaboutit! C'mon though, it's retail.

Try and make sure the same directives are given. When an employee has his immediate supervisor saying "go left" and a more senior manager saying "go right" it makes knowing which way to go a challenge.

Wish I coulda stayed

Former Employee - Cashiet/Customer Service in Lewisville, TX
    Former Employee - Cashiet/Customer Service in Lewisville, TX

I worked at Total Wine & More part-time (less than a year)

Pros

inter acting with the customers, the other employees, the work

Cons

the management is some of the crappest managers that I have ever had to work for.

stop trying to one up each other.

A Good Place To Work

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Total Wine & More part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Good discount on Winery Direct wines. Very knowledgeable staff. Staff encouraged to participate in classes, for free, to learn more about wine and beer. Managers were supportive, encouraging and thankful for hard work. Management bought lunch for all employees when working long hours for holidays, etc. Days off must be requested 21 days in advance and request was typically granted.

Cons

One 30 minute break when working long hours (8-10 hrs.). Not many cons at the location I worked at.

Seasonal employee overworked and underappreciated

Former Employee - Front End Cashier in Huntington Beach, CA
    Former Employee - Front End Cashier in Huntington Beach, CA

I worked at Total Wine & More full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Coworkers are cool, decent discount on wine.

Cons

Management lacks communication skills, and one of the male managers was creepy. The only time the general manager spoke to me was to bark an order at me in my short time working there and was kind of rude.

I was told seasonal employment would be 90 days and they ended it at 30 days for all of the seasonal employees except like 2. We worked 40+ hour weeks during their busiest hours with little thanks.

Good growth opportunities, poorly managed

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Potomac, MD

I worked at Total Wine & More full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

If you're a self starter with initiative you will have the chance to do the job you were hired for and then much more. Be aware that good work means you'll get more work and more responsibility.

Cons

Mandatory 45-50 hour work weeks and extra work time near the holidays can be a drain. Senior management is too concerned about covering their own behind that they throw each other under the bus at will. Sr. mgmt does not have the courage to push back on the owners due to repeated verbal beatings from them.

Isn't everyone supposed to be working together towards the ultimate same goals? Maybe you should start to work with each other instead of against each other.

Educational & Full of Benefits

Current Employee - Wine Associate in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Wine Associate in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Total Wine & More full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The number of benefits is huge compared to other stores - free tasting and classes for the employees, as well as wine and beer programs to help give better advice to the customers by tasting different wines and beer every month. Very professional atmosphere that does not put up with drama or bad/lazy behavior from their employees. It is insanely educational, and once you know a bit more about wine, spirits, etc., it is very fun suggesting actual great drinks to customers. I also work for a store that works very hard on giving their employees the best schedule possible for their personal needs.

Cons

Unless you know a little about wine before you start, you are in for a rude awakening. Granted, I was seasonal, but even so, I feel like they should have educated me more about the basics before counting me as a "wine expert." Long, long shifts, if you want to work 40+ hours a week. If, however, you want less, then the shifts are, at the most, 6 hours long. It is still retail, and customer service can sometimes still suck. I also know that the difference between stores can be huge. I happen to work for a Total Wine store where my co-workers and I are very happy with our management team and the way we are treated. However, we are aware of a store about an hour away that has a high level of turnover because of how horribly management treats their employees.

Teach everyone the basics of wine, even the seasonal people. Train us on everything, so that we may help out in every station. Also, make breaks mandatory, as no one takes them and the ones that do then feel lazy for it.

Generally good work environment, but long hours

Former Employee - Front End Team Member in Fairfax, VA
    Former Employee - Front End Team Member in Fairfax, VA

I worked at Total Wine & More part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Depending on the store manager rotation, the store manager can be a great boss to work for. My boss was one of those people that you wanted to please and he showed his appreciation and respect for his employees, even though we were only cashiers.

Work-life balance was easy, and the office culture was about having a good time while getting quality work done.

Cons

A full work week is 50 hours. Shifts are usually 9 or 10 hours.

You can put in for a transfer or be arbitrarily moved from store to store in the area. There are about five in the northern Virginia area, and being moved from one store to another can greatly effect your commute, and if you don't drive, you're screwed.

Try to have more people on the sales floor to keep the stress of alcohol-frustrated customers.

Toxic work enviorment

I worked at Total Wine & More

Pros

Free wine sometimes as gifts. Free parking

Cons

45-50 hour weeks, terrible management. No one works as a team. The office politics are unbearable....shall I go on.

Terrible work environment...just terrible!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Potomac, MD

I worked at Total Wine & More full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

free wine sometimes, free parking

Cons

Absolutely terrible place to work! Office politics are unbearable. No one works towards the same goal and they treat their employees like scum.

Wine geeks beware

Former Employee - Wine Sales in DFW, TX
    Former Employee - Wine Sales in DFW, TX

I worked at Total Wine & More

Pros

You'll have the opportunity to learn vast amounts about wine, beer, and spirits, albeit the emphasis is placed on their high profit margin "Direct" products.
    Wine/Beer for life programs.

Cons

Risk/reward-there is no motivation for sales unless the product is one of their "Direct" items, and even then the reward is verbal...there is no financial reward for an individual going above and beyond.
    I have never been associated with a company that has more managerial meetings, taking support from the floor, and sometimes even chastising the staff for a lack of customer service coverage during the meeting.
    Many of the managers with whom I worked had almost no experience with wine (and most had little or poor "people skills").

Extend the same courtesies to your employees that you expect them to extend to your customers.
    Too many chiefs and sycophants, each with his/her own agenda to save his/her own butt in the eyes of upper management.

Total Wine & More Photos