Total Wine & More

Updated October 15, 2014
2.3

Total Wine & More Co-Owners David Trone & Robert Trone
David Trone & Robert Trone

Pros
  • You get to learn a lot about wine, beer and spirits (in 6 reviews)

• Generous employee discount (on highest profit margin direct wines), willing to work with employees so they can have outside life (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Forget about any semblance of work/life balance (in 16 reviews)

• I regularly work 10-11 hours and during that time will receive one 30 minute break (in 11 reviews)

More Highlights

Love the Company just not the Executives/DM

Current Employee - Management in Sarasota, FL
    Current Employee - Management in Sarasota, FL

I have been working at Total Wine & More full-time

Pros

The people in store are wonderful to work with. There are amazing people that work within the corporate office. The owner is friendly, and I believe they generally care about their people.

Cons

The communication from above is poor. I believe that the owners have a vision, and it is not sent that way down to the stores. The DM and AVP have their own agendas that they do not want the owners to know. The turnover is high due to poor communication, lack of commitment to promises made to AM's, and how people are treated.

Be honest with your people! Tell them where they stand versus talking out of both sides of your mouth. Treat people with respect, invest in them, and keep your commitments.

Great company to work for.

I worked at Total Wine & More

Pros

They are a relatively young company that is growing rapidly. People are friendly. Benefits are good. Wine for life and store discounts are definitely nice.

Cons

Company systems are highly outdated. A lot of improvements being made by current employees for no direct pay increase. Needs updates.

Loved the first two years,after that it varied greatly.

I worked at Total Wine & More full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The employees were great to work with and almost everyone worked hard to keep sales high. The opportunities to advance were available to almost any employee.The training of products was easy to understand and very helpful.

Cons

Raises for non-management were not generous. Attempting to use vacation days for sick/call in days was a major hassle and not always approved.Some employees were treated quite well by management,while other employees were treated like the dirt under your shoe.

More concerned with profit margins than employee satisfaction

Current Employee - Wine Associate
    Current Employee - Wine Associate

I have been working at Total Wine & More full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Cons

Abysmal discount on spirits, beer and national brand wines. Training hours are never enough to fully grasp a new position or system. "Bait and switch" concept to house brands. Profit margins on Winery Direct items are many times 50% or more. Staff is expected to sell like they are on commission without any reward. "Contests" last far too long (the last one was 11 weeks). Many managers are more concerned with their advancement than creating a good work environment. Not enough promotion from within. Total Wine Professional program is a joke designed ONLY to make the company more profit without REALLY having to pay the staff more. No matter how many times management denies it, there is a hierarchy and clique system. Wine associates get more perks and are considered the "A" team while merchandisers and cashiers (who do equally as much work) get none (such as Wine For Life or Beer For Life). Pay is not structured enough for any one person to live on and (rumor has it) that there are salary caps for positions.

Wine/Beer for Life for all employees. All managers should have to work one 8 hour shift in each position every month and not be able to do any management duties. Managers that understand the jobs they are asking their staff to do are far better than those that don't. Pay a living wage. Give merit raises throughout the year if staff members deserve it. Schedule two half hour breaks for those working more than 9 or 10 hour days. Ditch the Total Wine Professional program or at least turn it into a training program like a college class. Get your managers involved with the development of the staff and their education. There is too much focus on tasks and not customer service. Concentrate on ONE promotion or contest at a time. Too many of them overlap.

Over-worked and under payed

Current Employee - Front End Team Member in Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Front End Team Member in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at Total Wine & More part-time (more than an year)

Pros

wine associate = wine for life. It pays a little more than minimum wage. Good experience with customer service and retail. t.

Cons

Scheduling = nightmare. There is no consistency with hours. no benefits. Cashiers receive no wine training and expected to push wine.

Care about your employees. Give all employees some wine training if you expect them to sell wine. Get uniforms that fit. It's hard to sell anything when the cashier's look like they are swimming in their shirts. Some incentive, other than a crappy bottle of wine, to sell the equally crappy wine. Watch for superiors who do not treat other employees well.

Wine associate review

Current Employee - Wine Associate in Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Current Employee - Wine Associate in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I have been working at Total Wine & More part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Nice work environment. Great people to work with.

Cons

Very low pay. No benefits for part time. Low hours.

Understand that your employees are struggling to survive. Bring more humanity to your management styles.

Liked it, but little training

Current Employee - Beer Sales in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Beer Sales in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Total Wine & More part-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

I actually like to hit the ground running so TWM was a decent experience, but if you like to in depth training then this wouldn't be for you. The pay was decent for a part-time job, and I found the managers fun and friendly most of the time. The business appears to be growing quickly, and I'm not sure they are keeping up. It was sort of like working at Toys R Us for adults!

Cons

Wearing a shirt and tie everyday seemed like overkill for the position. There is little training offered.

coaxed into joining, glad to finally leave this company after a painful stint

Former Employee - Service Person in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Service Person in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Total Wine & More full-time

Pros

good co-workers, good product discount, decent 401k match although could not afford to participate

Cons

ungrateful management, grueling hours, low pay, short breaks
    back breaking work with little recognition, constant bragging about growth and sales, yet promises go unfulfilled.
    very stingy with raises, training, and no empathy for employees.
    Cut throat tactics by management, although they MUST know of problems, no one has the guts to speak up.
    District manager and higher ups have a holier than thou attitude
    It is all about the numbers and graphs, not about the PEOPLE in the trenches
    Labor has been cut to the point that service and store conditions suffer

OPEN YOUR EYES!
    There is not enough labor to take care of the customers and the stores.
    You are focusing on growth and ignoring the people who are at the stores and care.
    EASILY 1/3 of my store is looking to leave this company, just waiting for the opportunity

Bad memories

Former Employee - Merchandiser
    Former Employee - Merchandiser

I worked at Total Wine & More part-time (more than an year)

Pros

-There is much to learn about the product if you put in the effort. Even as a merchandiser, I think I left with a decent amount of wine knowledge.
    -I think it is very important to have a few really dreadful jobs in one's life, if only for a frame of reference.

Cons

I left this job two years ago, and nothing I have to say is unique to these reviews. Still, I felt obligated to start a glassdoor account and add to the mountain of negative reviews, just in case I can help convince anybody to avoid this nightmare.

-Poor scheduling. I like to get eight hours of sleep when I can, but often I wouldn't have that much time between shifts. Many of us wanted to work full time, but were scheduled just below 40 hours a week. It seemed a lot like management was simply trying to avoid giving us the full-time benefits and bonuses.
    -Longhours (generally 10-12 hours, sometimes 13), with one 30 minute break.
    -Much of this time is spent moving heavy cases. I thought this was a pro at first, but soon it turned from good exercise to back and shoulder problems. I recently ran into an old manager of mine who had left the company three years ago, and he said that he still suffered from Total Wine related back problems.
    -Embarrassingly aggressive bait-and-switch sales tactics. Luckily, as a merchandiser, I wasn't pushed as hard to sell Total Wine's winery direct brands as the wine associates were. Still, listening to customers being told that they didn't really want their favorite wines all day was truly draining. All the while, the managers push for more and more of these lies.
    -Spending that much time, doing that much physical labor, and in such an in-genuine environment put me in a long term daze. I was always to physically and emotionally exhausted to realize that there was more to life than moving boxes, and that I needed to look for better job opportunities. I stuck around for a year and a half, but, looking back, I'm shocked that I didn't get myself out after a few months.
    -Finally, with such a horrible job, it becomes very hard to resist buying the alcohol that faces you all day everyday. I'm no teetotaler; I still love beer and wine. However, about 75% of the money that I spent on alcohol while I worked at Total Wine should have gone into my savings account instead. I deeply regret that of what little money I made working for that company, I squandered so much of it in my misery. Of course, your mileage may vary.

I've probably made myself out to be a sad sack, but as soon as I left Total Wine, my entire life improved instantly. I realize again that life is a wonderful thing outside of this company. Please, don't do this to yourself.

I won't repeat myself. It should be obvious, and it would fall on deaf ears anyway.

The worst management I've ever seen + worked to death

Former Employee - Wine Associate in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Wine Associate in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Total Wine & More full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Discount.
    Generally, time off is given upon request.
    Benefits.
    Paid time off to full time employees.
    They supply lunch on days they know will be busy.

Cons

Management is the worst I've seen due to lack of knowledge of product, company systems, and personality. Management behaves as if they're grasping at straws unsure at all times of how to handle basic situations that occur in retail management.
    The most terrible thing is that daily you will have to sell their brand and dissuade a customer from getting what they request. You will be scored daily on this and it is the only thing discussed and at all times. They have created a bait and switch type of sales and it is discussed every 10 minutes from open to close.
    Company systems are out of date. Out of date style sales training (with role play and character types) gives the impression that CEO to DM level think their sales staff are morons.
    30 minute breaks for any shift worked including 10-12 hour shifts
    Raises are given yearly with each employee qualified getting a .90 max raise.
    Your training is peppered with talk of growth but there isn't any unless you plan on being a person that tells management whatever they want to hear (even if it's morally wrong) and kissing up no matter what.
    Was told "if you want more people to work with you during your shift...sell more. That's the only way we'll get more payroll hours".

Hire better staff and pay them more and your turn over will decrease.
    Don't talk about respecting staff, do it.
    Promote from within, don't just say that you do.

Total Wine & More Photos

Total Wine & More in Pembroke Pines, FL (Photo thanks to Flickr user SheenV, available under by-nd v2.0)
Total Wine and More
Total Wine & More's Annual Team Meeting at the U of MD Shady Grove Campus, Feb. 20, 2009 (Photo thanks to Flickr user seannaber, available under by v2.0)
An in-store tasting of Clipper City beers at Total Wines in Fredericksburg, Va. (Photo thanks to Flickr user cizauskas, available under by-nc-sa v2.0)

+ Add Photo