Total Woman Gym and Day Spa

Total Woman Gym and Day Spa Reviews

Updated Jul 9, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Great place, great concept but great pressure

Manager (Former Employee)

ProsAbility to make commission and bonuses
    Lovely environment
    Complimentary membership
    Great discounts on products and services
    Lots of wonderful staff

ConsUpper management can be mean
    Unfair treatment of staff
    Unrealistic goals and pressure
    Favoritism
    Comparing your club with other clubs and creating competition that is borderline mean

Advice to Senior ManagementIt would be nice if you put forth more effort to support you top managers. I know lots of owners of the clubs have come and gone. Hopefully the new management in place know what they are doing and how to treat key staff and empower them.

Total Woman Day Spa, Warner Center (employee experience)

Massage Therapist (Former Employee) Woodland Hills, CA

ProsSmaller spa with good products, good parking, most employees are quite nice, friendly and professional.

ConsSpa Manager is deceitful, incompetent, lazy, and when she gets free massages she doesn't tip at all, has no idea how to motivate or boost moral, some employees just don't care anymore and don't try too hard to give a good treatment because its just not worth it. Not much training for new treatments. Tips are low most of the time, no benefits, some MT's don't stock the room when shift is complete and leave it messy for the next MT. Spa Manager walks all over the staff and is disrespectful and not fair so you have to watch your commissions. Pay is low. I will not recommend this Spa to anyone.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe Spa Manager needs to be trained or replaced. She doesn't uphold the potential of a great Spa experience or treats her employees with respect. There is favoritism. She will fire you if you stick up for yourself or your commissions.

Ongoing Management Chaos

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsNice women clients to work with

ConsManagement is very disorganized and corporate sets unattainable months goals that set the entire location up for stress and failure.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire people with genuine (proven) leadership and managerial backgrounds.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Management Corruption

Membership Associate (Former Employee) Alameda, CA

ProsFree gym membership and discounted spa services. Membership Associates receive hourly and commission pay.

ConsThis job requires you to build relationships with potential members which is expected, but it's not okay to put your heart and soul into something and not receive recognition, but even worse, a horrible working environment.
    Pay was not always accurate and took over two weeks to correct.

Advice to Senior ManagementNew management needed! Someone who can lead and live by the message we deliver to members.

They care more about sales than people

Massage Therapist (Current Employee)

ProsAll women. Spa environment with amenities.

ConsManagement does not have the proper knowledge of the jobs in question to properly manage. They do not know contraindications or the realities of the physical demands on the employees. You will be forced to do up to five hours in a row with no break. They expect upgrades and sales of products that have nothing to do with massage. They force you on your unpaid time, when there is no service, to solicit gym members for sales. There is no time for rest whether you are slow or busy. They do not respect your time and make you stay unpaid through the end of your shift even after it is no longer possible to have a service. There is not proper intake procedures to protect against liability and to prevent potential harm to a client. It's hard to do the body work that a client requests or needs because the services are categorized as upgrades with a high price. There is hostility and bullying in order to push sales.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat the employees and clients as people and not vehicles to meet a monetary goal. Pay employees for work that is required during non-commissioned hours. Update the equipment and listen to the needs of your employees.

The people who work here are generally really nice and helpful.

Customer Service Associate (Current Employee) Woodland Hills, CA

ProsCan build friendships and as long as you find people to cover your shift they are flexible with time-off.

ConsAre not willing to make people full-time employees, no benefits, low pay with no chance for raises or mobility.

Advice to Senior Managementn/a

I really like the Spa, I just would like to be a bit busier

Massage Therapist (Current Employee) Laguna Hills, CA

ProsMassage is easier because its all women.

ConsIts a Corporation probably would be better to work on a 1099 than a W2

Advice to Senior Managementpay for down time should be better

There is currently a class action lawsuit against Total Woman Gyym & Day Spa.

Esthetician (Current Employee)

ProsSome of the staff are good people.

ConsCompany is very manipulative. They treat their employees poorly and it's hard to stand up for your rights as an individual.

Advice to Senior ManagementAt least act like you care! Do the right thing. Instead of living our best lives as T.W. motto says it stands for, it feels like a nightmare. Also, the salary is poor and the health benefit is far too expensive to afford the only HMO plan you' ve got.

It's all about the bottom line with this company. They don't care about their employees.

ProsIt's a safe place for women who want to start a fitness program, but are intimidated by co-ed gyms.

ConsPay is the worst I have ever encountered! No opportunities for raises or growth. Management will not take responsibility for decisions that negatively affect employees. Dress code is hopelessly outdated. It ranks with Hot Dog On A Stick for stupid workplace uniforms. Too many impossible incentives for sales instead of real bonuses.

Advice to Senior ManagementCultivate a great, loyal employee base by offering better pay. You will reap monetary rewards if employees are happy - people will want to work harder and better if they feel it is worth it. Quit being so greedy. Try working on the front lines and see how well all your rules actually play out.

Unorthodox Interview

MEMBERSHIP COUNSELOR (Current Employee) Valencia, CA

ProsIt has possibilities for being a great service

ConsDid not know how to interview

Advice to Senior ManagementTake interviewing technics and do not go off task, if you have to have a check list.

Worked for Total Woman Gym and Day Spa? Contribute to the Community!