TouchTunes

www.touchtunes.com

TouchTunes Reviews

Updated Mar 27, 2014
TouchTunes – New York – “not your average jukebox”

Charles Goldstuck

Cool place to work with great products!

Vice President of TouchTunes (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsGreat group of core people to work with. The products are world class and forward thinking. Very professional atmosphere and very buttoned up company. The opportunities are very good for entry level and advancement from within the company.

ConsHas lost a lot of the personality that differentiated itself from competition. A lot of turn over at the top over the years has hurt is strategic momentum. They have fired the wrong people at times and it has hurt their reputation in the marketplace.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou are fighting the battle on the wrong front. You should make it easier for customers to do business with TouchTunes and should defend the music service revenue to the end! Pricing on hardware is irrelevant and should be a break even proposition so you can sell more music and services.

So much potential! But disappointingly misses the beat.

ProsInnovative jukebox products/services
    Current CEO has moved company forward in the digital entertainment industry more than any other; huge driver, visionary, very impressive

ConsManagement (middle) lacking in leadership skills, training and is directive/commanding, not open
    Many problem resolutions, suggestions, ideas expressed with management go unnoticed/unchanged
    Environment can be hostile and/or stifling, depending on location
    Low employee morale
    Poor communication
    Advancement within company limited, based on location
    High employee turnover at all levels and lack of solid foundation
    Lack of processes (combined with poor communication), resulting in below average to average execution of projects
    Wrong people in wrong positions, with some leaving out of frustration or being terminated
    Many lack confidence in HR
    Limited (very) training, no structured/organized training in many departments; especially customer servicing/interfacing areas
    Many high producing employees go unrecognized, are under paid and unappreciated; ultimately leading to employee burn out and/or leaving organization

Advice to Senior ManagementSmall details to build employee morale and a positive culture go a long way (increased productivity, sustained resources, increased revenue, genuine desire and passion). Develop great middle management leaders, employee training, 360 reviews, research other creative and innovative company environments/cultures. Invest in the innovation of the company culture as much as the innovation in the company product and TouchTunes will soar (or sing).

Platform has potential. Jack of all trades, masters of none.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsInnovative technology, that seeks to bring entertainment content to consumers in venues nationwide.

ConsNasty politics, terrible communication between teams, combined with executive board's general lack of understanding how digital advertising works (ie poor strategy, programs in place to manage inventory, campaign execution, delivery/optimization, 3rd party tracking, etc.) and a desire to do everything but nothing well makes this place very challenging to get anything done.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake the time to quantify the multiple platforms' capabilities and limitations as they relate to each of their hardware and software requirements. Spend the time and money to unify the multiple platforms to ensure ad sales and marketing will be able to offer turn-key solutions to be competitive in the digital media landscape. This will foster ease of campaign execution, further driving revenue for the company. Focus on doing one thing really, really well and stop spreading priorities and resources so thin that anything achieved is mediocre at best.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

New employee training is a farce...

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Arlington Heights, IL

ProsCool products and opportunity to learn about the music vending industry.

ConsMissing many formal processes under the guise of "we're too small of a company for that...". Had I known this about the culture there I would have never accepted the job.

HR: Didn't meet with anyone from HR until they need to get a bunch paperwork done after being employed their nearly a month! We new hires were called into the HR office at 11:30AM was given a stack of paperwork (besides the expected work identification, W-2, IRS-1099 forms, was given a 60page Health insurance book with a form that wanted details of prior coverages and policy numbers, 401K and a variety of dental and vision plans booklets with a myriad of options to select from) and asked if I could fill them out during lunch because it was already the end of the month and if we missed the deadline of end of that day we would be ineligible until the next annual open enrollment for insurance.

Training process: New hire training process is basically one of the support staff assigned to do training with no formal education beyond high school. Although very personable and knowledgeable about the company products, the trainer was highly unprofessional as far creating a cohesive training syllabus.

IT Staff: It took over a month to even get access to a computer with email and even them most of the vital online tools for doing the job were still not accessible due to permissions not being setup yet. We were expected to handle taking live calls without but a couple of hours access to some of the vital online tools! I was informed by my new hire trainer the IT staff doesn't want to be bothered with setting up a computer or email access for new employees during training. Supposedly because they are not sure if you are not committed to the company you might quit during training and this would be a waste of the IT departments time (in hindsight this might be from their previous record of handling new hires so poorly). The trainer for the support department resorted to scrounging for decommissioned computers so that the new employees would at least have access to some but not all of the web based tools we were being trained on (no email or knowledge base access until the last week of training?).

Peer to Peer: The customer support department is mostly males in their early to mid-twenty's. As such my impression was that because they don't particularly have a lot of experience save for this place they feel that anyone new has to pay their dues and learn the same way they did when there was no training offered save for learning by the seat of their pants and over time, yet diametrically opposite to that attitude, new hires are expected to be at the same competence level in 4 weeks. Also, there is a bit of frat boy culture as I noticed that the support team never at lunch in the assigned lunch room (occupied mostly by the predominantly female sales staff) but instead had meals and breaks in the training room (even when it was being used).

Advice to Senior ManagementYour training department needs better structure and a dedicated resources for new employees made available from day one. Not giving new hires access to vital resources during the training process that will required by them on the job just sets them up for failure.

Hostile work environment, low morale and tons of turnover

Manager (Current Employee)

ProsGreat CEO, some cool products and some really great people, unfortunately a few toxic ones make it a very hostile work environment.

ConsUnethical executive management, tons of office politics, huge lack of communication and transparency, poor morale. They attempt to hire strong talent but have no ability to retain top-tier individuals who quickly lose respect of leadership. Turnover is very high and you get the sense a lot of current employees are job seeking.

“Fair products poor management”

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Montreal, QC (Canada)

ProsGreat coworkers, fair product
    Clean working environment

ConsCons –
    Hard work always goes unrecognized
    Often under-appreciated
    Witness many turn over the years
    Poor final decision making from senior management
    Too many VP’s for what it is
    Continually fired the wrong people
    Year-end work evaluation are altered and fixed to benefit senior management
    Underpaid
    Low company morale

Advice to Senior ManagementHave senior management reviewed by their employee(s).

OK, advancement and job satisfaction depend on position and department

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Montreal, QC (Canada)

ProsInnovative and cool products, very competent co-workers, rare increasing source of revenue in the music industry. The quality of the product is such that you want to stand behind it and be loyal to it.

ConsBecause the company is relatively small for its size of operations, "lower" level employees are functionally very important but often under-appreciated. In some departments the level of dedication required from them is completely disproportionate to their compensation, and hard work often goes unrecognized. Meanwhile, upper management turnover is very high, compounding their laughable inefficiency in some departments. Unless you are earning a six-figure salary, morale is quite low and there is no general effort to improve it.

Advice to Senior ManagementIn order to look forward, you must also maintain and support your current operations, or your house of cards will collapse.

Very positive

ProsPassionate energetic team with awesome products

Consnot well known by general music lovers

Advice to Senior Managementcreate better branding to music lovers

Worked for TouchTunes? Contribute to the Community!