Touchstone Wireless

Add Photos

Touchstone Wireless President J. Mark Howell

J. Mark Howell

ok

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosnone to speak of now

Consgot worse when they moved

Advice to Senior Managementnone

Document Control

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsAble to create my own department

Conspay scale for women, did match mens

Great Employer...When They Had Your Back

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Bristol, VA

ProsManagement were real people, not ivory tower suits.
    Start-up atmosphere.
    Decent pay for the area.
    Work from home opportunities.
    When business was good, everyone benefited...

Cons...when business was bad, the entire atmosphere of the company changed into a blame-fest.
    Being a small company, there was not a lot of structure and led to disorganization in departments.
    Sales department would constantly oversell the abilities of other departments, leading to gaining some great customers, but at the expense of the sanity of the other departments.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou sold the company at exactly the right time. Well done.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

One wild ride

Production Manager (Former Employee) Bristol, VA

ProsGained the best repair knowledge in wireless industry. Touchstone was a family owned business, who in turn treated their employees like family before the partnership.

ConsDue to the partnership, Touchstone became a business that wasn't allowed to care/help their employee. Employees became that dreaded number.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement needs to in some ways go back to the "family like" environment and show employees care/concern in this time of hardship.

I have no complaints, they have been good to me.

Information Technology (Current Employee) Bristol, VA

ProsEasy to work for. They have been really good to me and I get to travel and have room for advancement.

ConsTHe attendance policy for the production floor. Benefits are a little expensive.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake you they communicate with your employees and be more understanding to their needs.

"Sorry, we forgot that we were people."

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Bristol, VA

Pros1. They have air conditioning and heat.
    2. They pay a little above minimum wage.
    3. It's a full time job.
    4. Most of the people working there are wonderful people.
    5. It's a very safe place to work.
    6. If you like technology, you'll see and work with quite a bit. There are neat things to learn at Touchstone.
    7. They have local vendors bring food during lunch breaks. It's wonderful food.

Cons1. Their attendance policy is out of control, and the senior administration has continued to neglect repairing it despite being made aware of it on an almost daily basis for years from every level of employee in the company.

It's been stated that the zealous strictness of this policy is supposed to keep attendance regular at work to keep production levels optimal. Actually, it's responsible for almost all of their turnover for several years now. This means that they've likely wasted hundreds of thousands of dollars training replacement employees due to the increased turnover from this policy alone. People are fired almost by the dozen every week because of this broken policy. An alarming number of the employees affected by this policy have never clocked in more than one or two minutes late in their efforts to avoid this policy and keep their jobs.

It seems like the policy is being used to control turnover in lieu of layoffs.

2. All of their employees that are hired, are through a staffing agency. Because of this, many labor laws do not apply in most situations. This is to their advantage. They have designed the company this way. Employees who are affected by the mentioned attendance policy are not hired to permanent status.

3. Several policies seem almost designed to be easier on demographics of employees who tend to abuse those policies than they are on employees who have normal, human situations where discretion by an administrator would be more helpful to the production levels and profits simply because they will more easily retain desirable employees as a result.

4. It's unclear how promotions and career paths operate. The newer supervisors being brought in are coming from outside of the company. This says to the current employees that they will never be promoted. Many of the supervisors are not familiar with the jobs and duties of their subordinates. Most of the non-entry-level employees cannot meet the expectations required of their subordinates in the manner they expect of their subordinates.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease, please, please, terminate the source of the attendance policy in your administration. It's ruining peoples' lives, and Touchstone is not profiting from it. If there is anything that can be done to make Touchstone a better, more profitable company, it's adding discretion to the attendance policy.

'Favorites' may be the concern, but it's a far smaller concern than what the current policy is bringing. Add flex time to lunch breaks, and start firing for missing work on a case-by-case basis. If you can't trust your lower management to use sound judgment over something so simple as attendance and tardiness, what could you possibly trust them with at all? (yes, you need to trust your lower managers).

When there's a problem in a production environment, there's an old Japanese saying called 'Genchi Genbutsu'. It means 'go to the floor and see'. This just means that many problems can't be fixed in a chair, you need to talk with your LOWER management who are doing the moving on the floors to discuss what a better way to do something is. I see a hint of this kind of thinking happening at touchstone and I promise that more of it will bring prosperity to Touchstone.

If I didn't care about the progress of the company I wouldn't be posting this. You should care too.

Sword hanging over your head at all times.

Technician (Former Employee) Bristol, VA

ProsTouchstone is not running out of cell phones to repair any time soon.

ConsThe common management practice was to set unrealistic production goals for individual techs so your job security was always in question. Some phone models understandably have varying degree's of difficulties. so being stuck on a more challenging project was like a death sentence, only you wouldn't get fired if they liked you you just never knew because it was impossible to meet the demand with certain models.

Advice to Senior ManagementSet realistic expectations due to the varying degree of difficulties on each phone model. Reward good behavior rather than only punishing the bad.

The company that might have been great.

ProsThe best reason to work at Touchstone Wireless is ever growing cellular market there is a chance to make a huge profit. I started with the company when it was young and believed I would be able to grow with it and eventually retire with the company.

ConsSome of the downsides to working at Touchstone are the poor decisions by upper management. Corporate headquarters is in one state while the heads of the departments are in another. Certain individuals are not qualified to be in their positions and make foolish mistakes which costs the company dearly. They started looking more to external hiring rather than promoting internally.

Advice to Senior ManagementSit and take a long hard look at where you taking the company.

it's ok but some things could be better.

Prosweek-ends off,not many other places to work,its not really a hard job to do,some good friends there

Consnot enough pay per hour,letting managers and supervisors eat & drink at their desks while others can't, no airconditing

Advice to Senior Managementmake sure managers and supervisors know how to do the job before they tell someone else how to do it

Stressful

Prosclean workplace,work isn't all that hard

ConsNot a very employee friendly company. Very stressful at times.....no communication between employees and upper management......being talked down to by supervisors and managers.....not very good benefits.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake it a company that shows their employees their appreciation of them by giving better raises and benefits and make managers and supervisors accountable for their treatment of the people in their department.. Realizing that a company that are good to their employees makes a overall better workplace..

Worked for Touchstone Wireless? Contribute to the Community!