Tough Mudder

Updated September 20, 2014
Updated September 20, 2014

Tough Mudder CEO Will Dean
Will Dean

Very interesting place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brooklyn, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brooklyn, NY

I have been working at Tough Mudder full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Tough Mudder has done an incredible job of building a global event brand in a short period of time and the product truly is a source of pride - people connect fiercely with the events and being on-site is quite an energizing experience. In addition, the company has been highly successful at hiring young, energetic, talented people who are generally a pleasure to work with. Work/life balance can be somewhat stretching in on-site roles, but most positions at TMHQ are quite manageable and the new office is a great place to come to work every day. There are aspects of the company that are quite sophisticated for a business of Tough Mudder's age and size, such as the company's People/HR practices and Operational planning and processes.

Cons

2013 and 2014 have been transitional years for the business and this has impacted multiple areas from turnover to some erosion of the company's culture. As the business is still in a relatively early phase of development, areas like org. structure, career paths, comp., and internal communications receive inconsistent attention and require significant focus. Falling back on the platitude that one should be happy to work at TM because it is a cool brand and lots of people want to work there is not a viable retention tool - open communication, engagement, and alignment has to come from the top and these values are not always personified by senior management. The company has brought on some more specialized and experienced management in recent years with mixed results.

The business needs to execute a simple, clear strategy with conviction - the company is not in an appreciably different place than it was two years ago, while the competitive landscape and customer wants / expectations have changed meaningfully.

Does not pay contract employees in timely manner

I worked at Tough Mudder as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Fun to work events and traveled to great sites

Cons

I had a contract to be paid every 30 days. Initially I was paid the first 30 days for my services. Then payroll decided that I should be on a 60 day pay schedule for services regardless of my contract. I had extreme difficulty getting paid by this company. I had to make multiple attempts and request to be paid and was always told that it was being processed but the check did not come!!

Pay your employees and honor their contracts

Not as advertised

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brooklyn, NY

I worked at Tough Mudder full-time (less than an year)

Pros

fun young people working there, big focus on company culture, snacks

Cons

The office is a bit cultish. I was reprimanded when I didn't rate my experience working there a 10 out of 10. fuzzy management structure. a bit exploitive as they bring every junior level employee in as an intern with the promise of full time hire within 10 weeks, when that wasn't the case with many employees.

High turnover

Former Employee - Financial Analyst in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Financial Analyst in New York, NY

I worked at Tough Mudder full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The perks...Unlimited vacation and good salary

Cons

Lack of training for manangement

Hire individuals with management experience or provide in depth training for current managers

Work on site for tough mudder experience.

Former Employee - Lifeguard in Patterson, CA
    Former Employee - Lifeguard in Patterson, CA

I worked at Tough Mudder as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Very nice people to work with. Fun and energetic!

Cons

Haven't get paid for the days that I worked for 3 months. Tried to contact them, very friendly but very inefficient. Every time promise to pay me when called, but never did. A little unbelievable.

Please pay your temporary employees on time.

Not worth it

I worked at Tough Mudder (less than an year)

Pros

I've never seen a team so intelligent, fun and driven. The new office space is gorgeous, but lacks the camaraderie the old office in DUMBO fostered.

Cons

It took me a bit to diffuse and write this with perspective. Tough Mudder's politics has a way of getting under your skin.

At first, I thought I was incredibly lucky to land at TM. You could walk to the park, sit by the water at lunch and feel proud of the work you were accomplishing. Meetings were informal, management was full of hipsters, and snacks were unlimited. It felt like freshman year of college in a way. Every department had their own office suite, so you got to know your team very well. When you sneezed, everyone said bless you.

Then suddenly everything became exclusively about the numbers. We were coming up short in sales and it felt like bailing water out of a sinking boat. Fingers were pointed. In the midst of all that, a few people saw the writing on the wall and bounced early. Smart cookies.

The new office brought a lot of simmering issues to a boil. Late nights got later, and you could see it wearing on the full time staff as well as the freelancers. A few more people left on their own, and even more were asked to leave immediately. It was tense. No one cared if you sneezed, they had an unreasonable amount of work to accomplish and were too tired to care about maintaining a thriving company culture.

I walked away because it felt like being in a relationship where you realize you don't even recognize the person you're with any more. They had strung along a lot of the temp team with illusions of going permanent, so there was discontent across temp and FT employees alike. Every day the company org chart shifted and there was an unspoken fear in the air about being the next to get chopped.

By not communicating other than telling employees how they should be grateful, you encourage the culture of fear. Be more transparent and pick a course of action and see it through. Spending money on big name consultants won't help if you can't execute on the strategy without getting cold feet.

Critically Flawed Company

I have been working at Tough Mudder full-time (more than an year)

Pros

You can't talk about this place without mentioning how amazing many of the people are with whom you'll work. A truly outstanding collection of diverse experiences and backgrounds. Less so now, but the variety of work was once a huge draw. TM could help launch you into a better place, as evidenced by the many who departed in 2012/2013/early 2014. Also, no matter what happens to the company, the product IS amazing. Working on something that people truly love is an unforgettable experience and something not everyone has the chance to do.

Cons

It's taken some time for me to think about how to approach this objectively. Once upon a time I was excited about everything at this company: the future, the mission, the product, the people, etc. Over the last two years, my faith in our organization has been slowly squeezed of its life. Now I can't help but feel that the best has come and gone, and I should've (as a previous post said) "seen the writing on the wall." It's been an emotional hurricane, and the below are my personal thoughts on the experience. I won't offer this as absolute fact, but I think it's probably closer to fact than fiction.

TM is like a talent drain as opposed to a sieve. People leaving for other jobs is inevitable, but you have to find a way to keep the best people. Unfortunately, TM can't keep anyone (top or not), and everyone eventually leaves. I've been at the company almost two years and I've seen significantly more top employees leave than stay before their two year mark was up. Not sure why this is. Best case: it's a misunderstanding of what it takes to keep employees. Worst case: management just doesn't care. Unfortunately, I think it's the latter. The real issue this has is on morale. You constantly wonder why these people leave and if somehow they know something you don't. The fact that management refuses to address it in an honest way just makes it that much more confounding. Every departure is treated as a celebration - even if it's clear the departing employee is only celebrating because they're free of this place. I've seen my fair share of forced office celebratory goodbyes followed by a raucous night out when they look more like an inmate exonerated from a death sentence than a content former employee. The degree of hyperbole there is only slight.

Serious missteps in 2013 led to a severe scaling back of growth expectations and some unfortunate widespread layoffs. Experienced management would've handled this transition in a more nuanced and careful way (change management isn't a new idea), but the young and inexperienced management in place pointed fingers and hunkered down and refused to move from their tired and mildly-offensive "you should be happy to work here" stance. Coming from a group of people who are only slightly more experienced (and sometimes less) than you, this was irresponsible and unfortunate (although perhaps not wholly unexpected in hindsight). The environment this has created is toxic and the effects of late 2013/early 2014 have had a compounding effect that have just gotten worse as this year has progressed. A truly sad and completely avoidable slide for a company that was once brimming with hope and excitement. Now: quiet halls, empty desks, and the fear of the ax dropping at any minute on you or your friends.

TM is a company where the bottom 90% enjoy spending time together and working on a range of interesting projects. Sadly, the top 10% have created an us vs. them dichotomy that pervades every nook of the organization. For many, the tradeoff just isn't worth it, and they leave for greener pastures.

Tl:dr Glad I've had the chance to work here and make some great friends, but it's taken a serious and unexpected toll. My advice: Get paid more and treated better elsewhere.

The company is like a terminally ill patient right now. The only thing you can do is make the slide into the dark unknown more comfortable, i.e. pay people more and treat them like rational adults.

Lack of experience running the company into the ground

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brooklyn, NY

I worked at Tough Mudder full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Most of the people are amazing, smart and enthusiastic. Some projects you work on are challenging and worth while. Traveling with the team can be a great experience. The new office is nice, but clearly too expensive.

Cons

The leadership. They are completely under qualified for the size and growth of the company. Instead of partnering with specialists and trusting in their expertise, leadership believes he knows it all. The CEO has been the downfall of the company since mid-2013. The sales are well below goal and the team is completely demoralized. This used to be a great place to work - now everyone is trying to leave.

Trust in specialists - you hired them.
    Don't let friendships get in the way of sound business decisions.
    Relax. It's just a mud run.

On site managaer

I worked at Tough Mudder as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

The energy and pay was great

Cons

The hours are long for someone not experienced in working all day on their feet.

More communication.

Facade failing, internal structure shattered at best.

Former Employee - N/A in Brooklyn, NY
    Former Employee - N/A in Brooklyn, NY

I worked at Tough Mudder full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Most intelligent, active-minded* and ambitious collection of people you will find.

New office facility is excellent, physically*

Cons

The mismanaged delivery of opaque company information, human resource practices of employee turn over and inability to make effective business decisions are a sample of the symptoms indicative of the lack of business and leadership experience in senior execs.

Many employees who have stuck around from earlier years have been promoted on the basis of seniority, as majority are young in years and in business and life experience. In my time at the company, I have seen many colleagues with honed skills in various proficiencies by-passed or even asked to leave while their counterparts are promoted to managerial roles despite a lack of knowledge or exposure to effective management or leadership. For example, I have seen specialised employees in facets of marketing, analytics and procurement be superseded by colleagues (some with Tough Mudder as their first full-time role) promoted to manage entire departments such as procurement, process engineering and digital marketing.

From being asked to be "thankful" for a 3% 401k match, being threatened to execute an event with perfection or have your bonus but, to being asked to dedicate additional weekends atop the already 80-100 hours weeks to conduct sales pitches at nearby events the company has evolved, or better yet devolved from the once embodiment of teamwork and camaraderie found in its core product.

From the time I began at Tough Mudder, the weekly newsletter which usually kept global updates, event news and fun local tie-bits contained yet another category; a list of who was leaving the company that week.

The pressure, from senior mgmt. to continue with their now notorious haphazardly functioning employee mgmt. style, on human resources to perpetuate this trend has developed into a tradition feeding the weekly highlight of internal gossip as to who is leaving next.

The company is now an uncomfortable place to work, granted a majority of the team at TM were close friends, it could not prevent the uneasiness that filled the halls at the start of every week with who's desk was now empty.

I do not recommend dedicating the long days/nights, sweat and tears to this company - for it will demand it - as their is no agenda to return the dedication - unless you* can cut the budget even further; which is much more likely to be their reciprocated response.

I strongly encourage exploring other opportunities for anyone working for this company at this time - or at any time until the vast majority of senior execs have been "reevaluated" and replaced.

If you look at the reviews; any interns or temps will likely have more positive feedback - so long as they did not succumb to the falsehood of full-time employment - as TM treats any cost-savings well. I cannot say the same for their full-time crew however.