Tower Group (New York)

Updated Jun 25, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

William W. Fox, Jr.

Good place to learn and move on

Property Field Adjuster (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsGood learning experience, managers are helpful. Good Training, good fundamentals.

ConsBad middle Middle Management, they dont help you. Managers help you but they stab you in the back.
    High volume of claims, impossible to be current.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more helpful to the field adjusters

Challenging and Fast Paced Work Environment

Business Analyst (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsI think it's one of the best jobs in risk insurance on Wall Street. Staff is great and helpful, and the VP's are willing to work with you and are not afraid to give you responsibility. This helps one grow,especially as an intern at a great company!

ConsIn my department I worked a lot. More than 40+hrs a week.

Advice to Senior ManagementA little more guidance on projects,or a mentor by our-side to at least show us the ropes.

Business Analyst

Business Analyst (Current Employee)

ProsGreat atmosphere, everyone wiling to work as a team.

ConsNone at this time s

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A sad story

Vice President (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsWhen I joined, the team was great and the company was focused on growth. There was a lot to do and fix, but there was great optimism.

ConsAfter the company experienced financial difficulties, everything fell apart. The team did not band together. The environment became very ugly and secretive.

Advice to Senior ManagementImprove your communications.

IT

ProsTower's location in NYC and particularly Jersey City makes it an easy commute for anyone in the NY/NJ Metro area.

ConsDeclining financial position including AMBest Ratings, pending merger, state oversight, and lack of go-forward bonuses.

Well Treated While It Lasted

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsAbility to work independently and design own (one-of-a-kind) job. Easy access to upper management. Good people. Nice office environment and location.

ConsEver changing direction from top exec. Promotions from within very rare - negotiate your best deal on the way in.

Advice to Senior ManagementCompany in the process of being sold. New owners should recognize the value in the employees who remain.
    Although I am giving senior management a low rating - some of the top exec's are excellent.

The organization is in a constant state of flux as indicated by the current merger status of the company.

Office Services/Facilities (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsTower has hired some of the best talent out there and the hard working employees and staff are the biggest plus for the company.

ConsThe overall atmosphere, coming from the top down, is unpredictable. The work environment and culture of the company is non reinforcing for the general staff.

Advice to Senior ManagementAdmit your mistakes and move on.

Underwriter

Underwriter (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsNice office, Pleasant coworkers pretty good salary and benefits

ConsManagement is all over the place. Lack of organization. Trying to grow too fast will be its downfall.

Some Positives and Some Negatives

ProsFast paced environment. High pressure but never dull on a daily basis. Decent compensation if you go out of your way to get recognized.

ConsVery disorganized. A little too fast paced in certain areas. Organized chaos. You don't have to work very hard to do the minimum.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt doesn't seem like management has a grasp on what to do once it gets out of M&A mode.

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

Great

ProsPay , work life balance

Consdownsizing, no much growth , needs more training opprotunities managemnt is ok sometimes it seems as if you flting by the seat of your pants , More communication between department needed

Worked for Tower Group (New York)? Contribute to the Community!