Tower Hill Insurance Group
thig.com Gainesville, FL 150 to 499 Employees

Tower Hill Insurance Group Reviews

Updated Feb 11, 2014
Tower Hill Insurance Group – Gainesville – “Tower Hill Corporate Headquarters”

William J. Shively

Solid, stable company with a culture of complacency.

Gainesville, FL

ProsCommitment to controlled growth.
    Profitable in a tough market.
    Solid pay and benefits.
    Reasonable working hours.
    Friendly, positive environment.

Cons- Very little communication re: the company's vision and long-term goals. Employees spend a lot of time wondering what's next.
    - No real career development. There's been a recent trend of bringing in C-level leadership from the outside, even though there are great veteran VP/SVP level executives waiting in the wings. The result is a management logjam and frustration among some of the more talented employees (specifically middle management), whose only option to advance their careers is to go elsewhere. Most recent promotions have come only when someone threatened to leave. This has created a culture of complacency, as there is little incentive for good performance. Poor performers are paid and rewarded just as well as great performers.

Advice to Senior ManagementPut your most talented and committed employees - the ones who deliver true value to the company - on a clear career track. Set goals and objectives consistent with the company's long-term vision, and you'll be surprised by the buy-in. Also, it would be great if the CEO showed his face, or at least communicated, with the employees every now and then.

Strong company, so-so CEO

Executive (Former Employee)
    Gainesville, FL

ProsComfortable, well equipped offices. No major drama, decent health plan, in office gym for free

ConsDon't work too close to CEO Shively. He is arrogant, a terrible communicator, shows no reaction or emotion until he explodes. His late father ran the company much differently. He has great visions, but will fail to act upon them nearly every time. We thought promoting Matz to President would help, but it has not.

Advice to Senior ManagementOpen up and listen to key staff. Communicate better, and promote from within. Don't let your egos run the show for you.

Poor

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsFair pay and perks. Company car for field staff provided, along with all necessary estimating equipment.

ConsPoor treatment and unmeasured expectations. Management has a minimal expected production level that must be met in the field, but doesn't differentiate between a complex, time consuming file and a simple file. The complex file goes to the more experienced adjusters, but they are still expected to turnover the same minimum volume.

Advice to Senior ManagementN/A

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Steady with good benefits

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Gainesville, FL

ProsSteady employer, very little drama (one exception below). Good benefits. Opportunity to move around the company and learn different jobs.

ConsRecently decided to force employees of several departments to sign noncompetes. Threatened loss of any future raises for noncompliance.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't threaten your loyal employees.

Every employer is different...and every employer is the same.

Middle Management (Former Employee)
    Gainesville, FL

ProsVery open to hiring employees' friends and family who are qualified. First place I have ever worked where everyone is gone by 5 pm.

ConsThis is not a progressive company in terms of culture, but it is secure employment if you work hard and follow the rules.

Advice to Senior ManagementLet the employees make more decisions, and give them more flexibility in their work day. You will see more loyalty from the most talented.

Just a great company to work for!!!! I would go back to work for them in a second, really miss what I was doing.

Home Inspector/Claims Adjuster (Former Employee)
    Jacksonville, FL

ProsWhen working for them, got the jobs assigned to me done, great people, lots of support and no one constantly looking over your shoulder. A great management team the knows what they are doing.

ConsAs far as I am concerned, none.

Advice to Senior ManagementLet you employees do their jobs, if they need help, help them. Training is also very important.

Its a job

Customer Service Representative (Current Employee)
    Gainesville, FL

ProsComfortable office environment and the health benefits are great.

ConsMicromanagement to the fullest extent.

One of the most innovative open source friendly companies I've ever worked for (especially for an insurance company!)

Gainesville, FL

ProsGreat people; It kinda has grown from a smaller family owned business so there's a lot of relationships that have built and grown with it. Innovative IT groups

ConsNo bike lanes to get to the office; single owner so although future budgets are projected, if money is needed for a project, it has to be proven a bit first. That reasoning has probably been a factor in the amount of open source in use, but I would consider that open-mindedness positive as well.

Tower Hill was the best company I have ever worked for.

Claims Examiner (Former Employee)
    Gainesville, FL

ProsFantastic coworkers, decent pay, beautiful facility, and a company that actually cares about the betterment of its employees, with extensive training and the ability to obtain designations.

ConsIts in Gainesville, FL which is mainly a college town. Some of the metrics success in your position are measured by are a bit unreasonable.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you're doing but remember where you came from and listen to your employees feedback, they generally know what they're doing!

Worked for Tower Hill Insurance Group? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Tower Hill Insurance Group reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Tower Hill Insurance Group CEO William J. Shively. All 9 reviews posted anonymously by Tower Hill Insurance Group employees.