Towergate Partnership

Updated December 11, 2014
Updated December 11, 2014
1.4

Mark Hodges

Get your exams done & get out

Current Employee - Commercial Account Handler in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Commercial Account Handler in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Towergate Partnership full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Will support you financially through CII qualifications, lovely colleagues & middle management do seem to actually care about you.

Cons

Senior management do not give a toss, you are just a number. Bad business strategy, the SBU and Finance changes should not have been done at the same time, and certainly not before we had a universal IT system. Trying to centralise business and people when we work on 100+ IT platforms is a ridiculous notion. The change team are the only happy people in this company. No incentive schemes for account handlers/claims handlers (Towergate took our old incentive scheme which was paid quarterly in January 2014 without telling us we wouldn't be getting anything until July 2014, this is absolutely unacceptable.

Learn to value people.
    Reintroduce an incentive scheme.
    Sort the IT systems out.
    Improve relationship with the press.
    Redistribute people more effectively between offices in the event of relocation.
    Get your heads out of the clouds, open your eyes and look around at what you have done to morale in this past year.

An interesting place to work

Current Employee - Business Development Manager in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Business Development Manager in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Towergate Partnership

Pros

A great place to work if you want to work for a company that is technically insolvent.

Cons

Poor management, broken promises, remarkable turnover of staff form the CEO to the tea lady.

Should have taken the £3bn on the table in 2007. Corporate greed has reduced the company to nothing. Serves you right.

Going from bad to worse

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Towergate Partnership full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The people at ground level - I honestly wouldn't still be working here if it wasn't for my colleagues. At ground level the staff are great - hard-working, dedicated, loyal and cheerful in the face of adversity. There is an awful lot of talent at Towergate, most of which is sadly wasted and overlooked.

Cons

- Management, particularly the endless layers of middle management. Seriously, how many area/regional managers are needed in one branch? Almost every manager at my branch has area or regional in their title. So many are called 'directors' yet ultimately we have been satnav'd into a dead end.
    - Compliance. I know compliance is necessary, but Towergate go way over the top. Audits mainly consist of checking whether forms have been completed properly rather than if the work has actually been done correctly. How many E&O's are borne out of not ticking the 'did you conform to the Towergate Way' box? We should be concentrating on whether clients instructions are being implemented and cover is correct, not form filling.
    - Communication. Towergate appear to have forgotten how to talk to staff - new processes are rolled out in 3 page emails with attachments, and despite the fact most people get approx 50-100 emails a day, we're expected to digest every single instruction from the minute we receive the email. If you're going to change an important company procedure that will impact on clients and staff, don't do it in an email!
    - Lack of backbone. Most middle/line managers I've encountered lack the spine to stand up for their staff or to kick back at crazy iniatives that put staff under stress and don't actually help the clients at all. Very much a 'do as you're told' vibe at Towergate.
    - Pay/Benefits. What everyone else has said, really. Below inflation/cost of living pay rises has bred hatred for the senior managers of the organisation. Still, as long as they can enjoy their foie gras and champers this Xmas that's all that matters, right?

Happy, fulfilled, properly trained staff = viable business. You have ignored this at your peril, and you have jeopardised more than 5,000 jobs.

An abhorrent company to work for - stay clear at all costs!

I have been working at Towergate Partnership

Pros

Up to now..... been paid on time. Not sure correctly, but at least money was in the bank. Errr.... that's it.

Cons

Where does one start. Completely soul destroying, treatment of loyal staff disgraceful, no organisation, corporate claptrap. Have taken lovely, perfectly fine and profit making local businesses and just destroyed them overnight. Been working for my company for over 10 years, was bought out by Towergate, and the company has been dragged in to their troubles instantly. Broken promise after broken promise, no prospects, less pay, less or no benefits and worse of all, no respect. Stay away!

Simple, let people do their jobs which they have been doing for years with no hassle or problems - as always, no one listens or cares. It's too late for advice - the business has gone, it's lost.

Generally a good employer. It's a large corporate now and various difficult strategic changes are being made currently but given some time there will be some opportunities for staff to develop further

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Towergate Partnership full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Salary levels are good, there are lots of good middle managers who seem to care about the workers

Cons

Communication within a large corporate is always difficult, get lots of bad press but it's not all justified, lots of substantial infrastructure changes at the moment

Get on with the changes quickly and show staff you care with better benefits package

Get me out of here...

Current Employee - Account Handler in Manchester, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Account Handler in Manchester, England (UK)

I have been working at Towergate Partnership full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Well its a job. No benefits as such, it would seem that any carrot they dangle always has strings attached or some loophole to enable them to worm out of it. Perks? Good staff discount on your own personal policies as they discount the commission so you get a fair old discount.

Cons

No rhyme or reason for some of the promotions I have witnessed, just seems to be based on who is flavour of the month, rather than on actual ability in some cases. Heavy workloads without the appropriate IT to do the job, constantly bombarded with changes to be complied with, without any proper training or leadership, just in the format of lengthy emails. Totally demotivated and demoralised staff who keep being told things will get better, when things just get worse. Half the staff are still waiting, and waiting for their redundancy dates. Now the company is up for sale meaning just more uncertainty. The whole company is a con.

I think it may be a little late in the day to offer any advice, and they wouldn't listen anyway. Even when they say they have listened and try and make a change to something, it seems they haven't heard you correctly in the first place. I give up!!!

Used to be a good place to work. Nice people.

Former Employee - Insurance in Cheltenham, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Insurance in Cheltenham, England (UK)

I worked at Towergate Partnership full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

It was the people and the expertise. Not a lot else can be said as pay and general conditions were the lower end of average

Cons

The people with the knowledge and expertise were made redundant. Niche markets pulled into soulless call centres and trying to be made all the same. The 'niche' part should give away the fact that the different markets are not all the same. All about bean counting now.

Too late for that

Vile, Corrupt and on the verge of bankruptcy

I have been working at Towergate Partnership full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

None whatsoever there is absolutely no benefit working for this company in any way shape or form

Cons

Absolutely soleless corrupt and hostile environment. Treat staff appallingly and are managed by corrupt arrogant and useless leaders

FSA need to investigate this business and make it cease trading. It is corrupt

Was once a good company to work for.

I worked at Towergate Partnership full-time

Pros

Your colleagues are the only pro.

Cons

Senior Management? - they don't listen. Floating on the stock market? - yeah when hell freezes over! Pay rise/Bonus for hardworking "shop floor staff"? - don't make me laugh. Staff surveys? - Why bother with them - you NEVER listen to what the staff have to say and being bullied into completing them does not help. Have Fun? Not any more. The "Centres of Excellence and Highly Trained Operatives"? They are just a joke.

WAKE UP! This was once a good company to work for, but not any more. You have lost so many valuable employees to your now former CEO's vision. Stop the rot before its too late. YOU ARE A LAUGHING STOCK.

A once great place, now reduced to a shambles

I have been working at Towergate Partnership

Pros

A fabulous place to cut your teeth in a place with a unique business model

Cons

The corporatisation project will ultimately fail