Towergate Partnership

Be The First To
Add Photos

Mark Hodges

Don't care about staff

Fleet Underwriter (Current Employee) Telford, England (UK)

ProsGained experience I wouldn't have gained anywhere else, by getting thrown in at the deep-end. Most of the other employees in my office are a great bunch of people.

ConsComplete lack of progression and formal training. A lot is asked of staff but there are no incentives to push for the best results and to hit or exceed targets; bonuses are a thing of the past and payrises are few and far between and pitiful when they do arrive. Strong disconnect between head office board-level management and the local management at each office. I feel like a disposable commodity.

Advice to Senior ManagementFind out what staff really want and consider how to give proper incentives, which are appropriate for targets. Give people a path to progress within the company and give appropriate payrises, so that people don't have to leave just to make a career and get a sensible salary.

Demoralising

ProsA few great people to work with.

ConsA lot of people incapable of doing their day to day jobs without any repercussions.
    Salaries not in line with market.
    Big bonuses and salaries for the senior managers but nothing for anyone else.
    No training despite empty promises.
    Would rather get contractors in at every opportunity rather than recruiting internally.
    No career progression whatsoever, and even if you do its likely you'll be sacked shortly after.
    Extremely high staff turnover.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart listening to what the employees of the business are saying. Start valuing the employees.

If you want a prosperous career with good salary, this is not the place for you

Senior Account Handler (Former Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsUndoubtably the only thing that kept me there was my colleagues. Really good people that work for Towergate. Just a shame they get dumped on from a great height by management.

ConsUnder paid, they're happy to give you more responsibility but expect you to do it with no pay review. Don't nurture talented individuals. Would rather get schools leavers in than hire experienced individuals all so it cuts costs. Management happy to take huge bonuses, while honest hard work staff, staff who make them their money get a pathetic 1% pay rise (if they're lucky). Management clearly have favourites who get rewarded more than others!!! Systems are pathetic and never given the right tools to do your job.
    Only getting one star as I can't give 0.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your shop floor staff. After all they are the ones who keep you in power. Fair pay across the board.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Okay company to work for.

ProsPaid on time, pro active approach towards restructuring. Promotion opportunities.

ConsLots of lazy dead wood in some of the teams. In times where employment is hard to come by I have never worked in a place where staff put so little effort into their work. My manager for example spends half their day gossiping and sending/receiving personal emails, texts and calls rather than getting on with their job. Communication from senior managers could be better.

Advice to Senior ManagementWith the right individuals this company could be great, but there are a lot of challenges ahead to get the company where it aspires to be. I would like the senior management to be more engaged with the business.

This company is poison - the way staff are treated is woeful

Central Services (Current Employee) Colchester, England (UK)

ProsImmediate colleague's are great - good camaraderie, hard working, diligent and supportive

ConsThe company treats you like a number - they have absolutely no idea how to manage people, how to develop loyalty, the management has no respect from the workforce, targets are unrealistic and unachievable, deadlines are ridiculous.

Advice to Senior ManagementSalaries are not competitive, especially allowing for the stress. The culture seems to be to cut costs by laying people off, then bring others in as contractors at a higher cost to the business but unencumbered by local knowledge or experience. What a way to run a business! I am out as soon as I can find another role.

Full of Promise's that fail to deliver

ProsReally? Good Hours at the office I worked at probably about it life is better outside of there

ConsLack of support. Public telling off. Last one in gets the rubbish until you break. If face dont fit will isolate you

Advice to Senior ManagementGo on about you want to look after your people all the time. Time is now wake up smell the coffee and actions really do speak louder than words!

If you are under 20 and believe in corporate bull - this is the job for you........ Otherwise AVOID!

ProsIt makes you appreciate how good life was before Towergate - and erm...erm... no sorry struggling now......

ConsArrogant/Blinkered Management - Unrealistic Targets - Unrealistic Timescales - No freedom to be individual - No perks - Management by Spreadsheet - Treat experienced people like children

Advice to Senior ManagementEmploy Excel experts rather than Insurance People

Lots to do, not very interesting work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsFreedom to do what you think is most important
    Responsibility

ConsCulture is sometimes a bit complacent

Advice to Senior ManagementShake up the management structure

Soul destroying. Used to be a nice place to work. Now I dread going in every day.

Administrative (Current Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsMakes you appreciate how good things are when you are not there.

ConsThe company gets rid of all of their good people through redundancy. Does not invest in their central support functions. Hodge podge of systems. When they go wrong, following redundancies, no one has the experience or knowledge to support them. Seems to be very much 'if your face fits'. Exec team are idolised, and treated like gods. They know it, and act accordingly. Money wasted on the wrong things, but then no one is allowed to buy to buy even a mouse without a signature in blood from God and his brother. Contractors - 'friends' of the exec are brought in on huge wages to cover for jobs left by those who have been made redundant.

Advice to Senior ManagementWake up. You are getting rid of too many people. The company is sinking.
    Customers are losing faith, at the increasingly faceless experiences they are having.

Nice Family Company Turned Nasty Corporate Wannabe

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsMost of the long standing staff are good people. Nothing else really, other than they do pay you your meagre salary every month.

ConsPoor salary. No pay rises or bonus resulting from amended Personal Development Review system. Corporate cronies joining every month to make the company appear more corporate and their salary is paid mainly by making numerous hard working, long standing staff redundant.Staff no longer even get a cheap bottle of wine at Christmas, just some pre-written e-mail from the CEO thanking staff for their hard work that they are not rewarded properly for.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop sitting in your ivory towers on six/seven figure salaries preaching that Towergate is a "great" company to work for and that these are "exciting" times to staff on poor salaries who have not had a pay rise or bonus in three years or more. Invest in central services such as IT and HR and don't cut their numbers to the bone to supposedly save costs - it is a false economy. Just treat staff with more respect and empathy, most of them think that they are merely a number at the bottom of the balance sheet to be played with by senior management when the fancy takes them. Try to understand that making staff redundant affects their lives greatly and a feeble "we do not take these decisions lightly" communication just does not wash with normal people.

Worked for Towergate Partnership? Contribute to the Community!