Towers Perrin

Be The First To
Add Photos

Towers Perrin CEO John Haley

John Haley

Pros:
  • "It was a great place, with cool work, and generally great people"
    in 7 reviews
  • "Fair work-life balance maintained"
    in 4 reviews
Cons:
  • "Work/life balance issues, lack of opportunities to approach work creatively"
    in 10 reviews
  • "Long hours and high expectations"
    in 7 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Industry leader with a lot of opportunities for growth and advancement

Senior Benefits Administrator (Current Employee)
    Chesapeake, VA

ProsThere is opportunity to learn a lot about the industry and clients.

ConsThere is a lot of politics with a few of the managers.

Great place to work

ProsI actually loved working here. It was a great place, with cool work, and generally great people. The intellectual property here is amazing and if you want to surround yourself with really smart people, this is it. Towers has an entrepreneurial feel to it compared to some other HR consultancies.

ConsAs with any large consulting firm, the top ranks are filled with people who have alliances and have known each other for ages. Breaking in there can be difficult, and if someone does not like you, that could be the kiss of death. Senior people have to figure out the right alignments.

A relaxed work environment. Learned a lot during my stay at the company.

Associate Programmer (Former Employee)
    West Los Angeles, CA

ProsThe division/group that I worked in had a very relaxed, business casual environment. My superiors (senior programmers, business analysts, and managers) as well as my peers were a pleasure to work with and contributed a lot to my learning.

ConsOur department did benefits enrollment. Work was somewhat seasonal that normally peaked-out during the last quarter of the year. Long hours and high stress during these periods.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Long career w/mixed levels of employee support

Senior Consultant (Former Employee)
    Chicago, IL

ProsConsulting talent is generally quite good, but use too many boiler plate approaches to leverage a limited set of intellectual capital and studies

ConsHR is the worst ever and management team is not really a group of managers, just a group of high-paid former consultants.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on how to value your people by treating them as the primary asset of the organization. Show this by really investing in a world class employee development approach.

SQR Programming at Gilead Sciences

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsLarge Company wtrying to grow its PeopleSoft business

ConsAbandoned its PS practice because of the economic downturn

Advice to Senior ManagementThey did the right thing, economically for the company

For the 10 years I worked there, it was a dream job

Information Technology (Former Employee)
    Philadelphia, PA

ProsGreat increases, very intelligent co-workers, good benefits.

ConsThey outsourced their IT department. Dumped most of their valued people, then hired some of them back later?

Advice to Senior ManagementLook out for the little guy instead of the almighty dollar.

Consultant (past employee)

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsLarge global firm with many opportunities to work with varied teams. Many challenges and learning opportunities. Built many strong client relationships that have continued on to friendships after my years at TP (now Towers Watson). I met some really nice people there.

ConsVery competitive work environment. Also, if you are a consultant, the only option to move up is to sell, sell, sell...

They have a 360 review process, but I experienced a Principal who actually said one thing to me and turned around to my manager as an official 360 review comment, and said the opposite (which was inaccurate, yet my boss at the time took that higher-level person's point at truth). Several consultants in my practice were okay with throwing anyone under the bus to protect themselves - low ethics). My direct manager was in another practice and in another state, so this person didn't understand what I did, yet had control over my rating and raises.

Local HR was useless, as I had to go to them with the bizarre things I was dealing with internally, yet nothing was done. Very sad, disheartening experience for me overall with this firm. I felt I was treated very unfairly and was simply a number - the executive leaders really could have cared less about you as a person when it really came down to it. But I am stronger now because of it, so I cannot complain too much.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't take someone's comments as true no matter what. Always be open to your employee's truth about the other side of the story. My manager at TP seemed to just go with what someone said as the truth, due to their title, rather than seeing that their employee has another side and that maybe, that higher level person was unethical.

Great Company but Very "Corporate America"

Manager (Current Employee)
    San Francisco, CA

ProsSmart, dedicated people
    Good name to have on your resume
    Exposure to intellectual material, learnings and trainings

ConsToo conservative and "Corporate America"
    Change is pretty non-existent and takes top leadership approval
    Little reward for the expected long hours of work
    VERY "big brother" as in they check your email and anything on your laptop

Advice to Senior ManagementAdapt to the 2013 start-up culture and mentality
    Take care of your people - work/life balance should be practiced not just discussed
    Lose the dead weight and keep the top performers - too many people there just barely getting by

Not good for junior level employees

Associate Consultant (Current Employee)
    Los Angeles, CA

ProsGood people to work with, knowledgable consultants, opportunity to travel

ConsNot a good place for junior (under 5 years working experiene) staff. Management doesn't know how to best utilize skillset of employees and thus keep them engaged.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep junior staff engaged by allowing them to take on meaty parts of projects (no, meeting minutes do not count). Invest in these employees because they want to grow with the company!

I had many good years there but they went public joining with Watson Wyatt and the culture changed.

Project Administrator (Former Employee)
    San Francisco, CA

ProsLot's of learning experiences, mostly great coworkers, pretty good pay and benefits but some of that changed after the merger

ConsThey went through a merger to go public and did most of the downsizing.

Worked for Towers Perrin? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Towers Perrin reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Towers Perrin CEO John Haley. All 69 reviews posted anonymously by Towers Perrin employees.