Towers Perrin Reviews

Updated August 19, 2014

3.6

Towers Perrin CEO John Haley
John Haley

Pros
  • It was a great place, with cool work, and generally great people (in 7 reviews)

• Fair work-life balance maintained (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance issues, lack of opportunities to approach work creatively (in 10 reviews)

• Long hours and high expectations (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

Towers Watson

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at Towers Perrin

Pros

People are great to learn from and intellectual capital is extremely helpful and easy to access.

Opportunities to cross lines of business and learn.

Cons

During my 3 years at TP, the opportunities for professional development were cut and not offered.

Private held company culture can be difficult to break into if you come from another firm.

Keep communication open to employees and offer internal professional development opportunities. Invest into in-person meetings when the client is hesitant to pay for consultant travel.

So So work environment

Former Employee - Consultant  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Consultant in New York, NY

I worked at Towers Perrin

Pros

Experienced managers who have broad knowledge. Talented coworkers for the most part. Nice physical work space located well within the city.

Cons

Lack of career development. Hard to get noticed by managers. Work becomes a grind quickly with little exposure to anything exciting or new.

Pay a bit more attention to the interests of your employees, and their career goals. Work to expose them to a broader array of things.

Intelligent employees, lack of work/life balance

Current Employee - Associate  in  Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Associate in Washington, DC

I have been working at Towers Perrin

Pros

Extremely motivated and intelligent employees

Cons

Lack of work/life balance, often long, inflexible hours

If Towers Perrin has a desire to reduce turnover, especially at lower professional levels, consider work/life balance and other benefits that would help them compete with other companies in today's market

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Associate life

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Towers Perrin

Pros

Work life balance, interesting opportunities (if you seek them out), competitive benefits package, OK compensation, not a lot of travel required

Cons

Top heavy, not a great place to grow a career better to come in mid career level, not a well defined performance review process

Am excited for the new opportunities that will come from the new merger including more talent and larger projects

Great place to work but average pay

Former Employee - Associate  in  San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Associate in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Towers Perrin

Pros

Great opportunities for advancement, truly lives up to claim of a flat corporate structure, easy transitions between groups (at least early in career), effective review program, 360 reviews, regular communication from management, high encouragement of vacation usage

Cons

Average pay, mid level managerial talent varies widely between offices, significant compensation disparities between groups, heavy linkage to actuarial certifications, loss of private structure removes incentive for long-term career loyalty

go private again...

Feel more like a salesperson than a consultant

Current Employee - Senior Consultant
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant

I have been working at Towers Perrin

Pros

There are some really smart qualified consultants working here. If you're lucky you can surround yourself with people you trust.

Cons

For the last year, I feel like I just push "products" on our clients rather than provide them with quality consulting. I understand Towers is in the business to make money, but ever since the upcoming merger with Wyatt was announced in the summer, it seems to be the only driving force.

FInd a way to make people want to work together as a team. The current sales goals and billable hour quota just encourages backstabbing.

satsified

I have been working at Towers Perrin

Pros

Pay and benefits. The wealth of knowledge is astounding. Flexible work schedule. Work life balance can be a problem at times, but if you are able to set your own boundries it is rarely and issue.

Cons

As with any consulting firm, clients will make unreasonable demands that are expected to be met. Due to the economy, pay is currently frozen.

Be aware that the work life balance issue can be a problem. Take efforts or continue to take efforts to combat that

Typical "old school" company

I worked at Towers Perrin

Pros

The company seems to have a great reputation and not likely to go out of business. The benefits are good, too.

Cons

You need to know someone to get in. You need to know the right person in order to get where you want to go.

There's too much of the "old boy" mentality. Personal and professional growth gets stifled on the regular. Veterans have a crazy sense of entitlement and are entirely too resistant to change.

Like drinking from a firehose?

Former Employee - Change Implementation Consultant  in  Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Change Implementation Consultant in Chicago, IL

I worked at Towers Perrin

Pros

Really rewarding work. Very stimulating environment. Fast paced. Great place to learn. Stellar colleagues. Solid methodologies that are easy to sell.

Cons

Absolutely NO work life balance. You are the job. You are seemingly on point and on call 24/7. Nights and weekends are givens. But be prepared to sacrifice vacations and holidays as well. The client ALWAYS comes first.

Walk the talk... We are the cobbler's kids.

Abusive Company

Former Employee - Actuarial Associate  in  Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Actuarial Associate in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Towers Perrin

Pros

Learned a great deal, smart people to work with, decent company reputation, ok benefits, overtime paid to junior associates, tuesday was fruit day

Cons

long hours, poor work life balance, no control of work, little or no client contact, confusing promotion scheme, frozen pay for a long period of time, promotions without pay increases, lack of respect of senior management (because I don't have kids, I can work from 5 AM to midnight and I should never complain), poor technology, junior associates are not given capability to work from home and are expected to work insane hours

Just because your employees want to have a work life balance, does not mean you should think they are bad employees. You will lose very smart, good workers because they are smart enough to leave an abusive company.

Worked for Towers Perrin? Contribute to the Community!