Towers Perrin

Updated August 19, 2014
3.6

Towers Perrin CEO John Haley
John Haley

Pros
  • It was a great place, with cool work, and generally great people (in 7 reviews)

• Fair work-life balance maintained (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance issues, lack of opportunities to approach work creatively (in 10 reviews)

• Long hours and high expectations (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

Abusive Company

Former Employee - Actuarial Associate  in  Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Actuarial Associate in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Towers Perrin

Pros

Learned a great deal, smart people to work with, decent company reputation, ok benefits, overtime paid to junior associates, tuesday was fruit day

Cons

long hours, poor work life balance, no control of work, little or no client contact, confusing promotion scheme, frozen pay for a long period of time, promotions without pay increases, lack of respect of senior management (because I don't have kids, I can work from 5 AM to midnight and I should never complain), poor technology, junior associates are not given capability to work from home and are expected to work insane hours

Just because your employees want to have a work life balance, does not mean you should think they are bad employees. You will lose very smart, good workers because they are smart enough to leave an abusive company.

Paid slavery at its finest

Former Employee - Actuarial Associate
    Former Employee - Actuarial Associate

I worked at Towers Perrin

Pros

Salary and that is about it. I would have to be pretty drunk to claim any other pro than salary.

Cons

There is quite a bit of favoritism. If you aren't good at kissing butt, don't waste your time here. You will only receive respect if you can entertain coworkers with your daily life.

Talk to employees who are paid the least in the company to really find out how your management is doing. Hopefully, you will see what I saw at my location.

Towers Perrin

Former Employee - Senior Consultant  in  Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Towers Perrin

Pros

Brilliant colleagues
    Team-oriented
    Focus on excellence
    Lattitude for exploring interests and career specialization
    Highly-customized customer solutions
    Fair work-life balance maintained

Cons

Senior leadership ability
    Human resource function
    Lack of strategic vision
    Poor knowledge management
    Poor IT infrastructure
    Poor leverage model for talent management
    CRMs ineffective

Current leadership lacks strategic vision and discipline.

CRM function and incumbents are ineffective.

Internal HR function is a hindrance to employee relations.

Performance management system not aligned for growth.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

great environment

Current Employee - Benefits Analyst  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Benefits Analyst in New York, NY

I have been working at Towers Perrin

Pros

friendly people, great benefits, location is downtown which is always a plus. there is great opportunitie for advancement , so that great.

Cons

long hours , sometimes up to 14 horus per day during peek period, sept-dec. other wise decent place to work at

keep doing what you're doing, open door policy is great, ppl are always available for feedback and wuestions which is awesome

Nice place

Current Employee - Associate Consultant  in  Lincoln, NE
    Current Employee - Associate Consultant in Lincoln, NE

I have been working at Towers Perrin

Pros

Great benefits - in addition to a 100% 401K match up to 5%, after 3 years there is a cash balance pension plan where 3% of your salary is put into a fun that's paid around 5%/year. Mgmt makes this contribution, which is great on top of a 401K. STarts accruing on day 1.

Generous bonus plan.

Cons

Work life balance is tough, but the hours are necessary in order to be promoted to principal. If you're not interested in that track, this is probably not the right firm for you. It's a work hard/play hard atmosphere.

Need to communicate more frequently.

It's ok, but work life balance is hard with TW

Current Employee - Actuarial Associate
    Current Employee - Actuarial Associate

I have been working at Towers Perrin

Pros

Pay Competitive, benefits are ok.
    Solid consulting experience.
    BIg company and lots of travel and learning experience.
    Towers Watson !

Cons

Upcoming streamlining due to merger.
    poor work/life balance
    obsolete computer system.
    Pay freeze for a whole 1.5-2 years.
    Towers Watson !

The senior management needs to be more transparent. The associates has no idea what is going on with the management and they don't seem to convey their message or care enough for their associates

Great place to work, but not for creative types

Current Employee - Consultant  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Consultant in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Towers Perrin

Pros

Solid company, good benefits, good potential for hard workers who are willing to sell

Cons

Work/life balance issues, lack of opportunities to approach work creatively

Appreciate your conservative and smart approach to dealing with the economic downturn.

Top traditional HR firm.

Former Employee - Senior Consultant
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant

I worked at Towers Perrin

Pros

If you are part of their traditional lines of business, such as retirement, compensation, communications or health & welfare, then this is a great place for all levels of experience.

Cons

If you are more into project based, or IT related consulting (non-implementation, such as technology strategy), then your opportunities will be limited

Invest in more marketing and sales support, especially if you are looking to grow outside of your traditional businesses.

All Corporate Drones Wanted for this Feel Bad, Pay Good Sweatshop

Current Employee - Executive Compensation and Rewards Associate  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Executive Compensation and Rewards Associate in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Towers Perrin

Pros

Towers Perrin is a well-known consulting firm with an excellent reputation in the HR consulting field. Entry level consultants are paid extremely well with significant overtime opportunities due to their initial status as a non-exempt salaried employee. Employees are able to expense virtually any type of travel expense.

Cons

While Towers Perrin commits a lot of their resources to college recruiting, entry level consultants receive limited formal training and guidance during their first year. Numerous entry level Associates have either quit or been laid off in the past year due to the current business climate and dissatisfaction with working at this firm. The people who work at Towers Perrin treat each other based on formal rank within the firm and thus are very condescending to new consultants. Consultants from different lines of business rarely interact and frequently avoid verbal contact with each other (i.e. halls, elevators, bathroom). Utilization of consultants is haphazard due to poor internal communication and a lack of team meetings. Client interface is non-existent during the first year and I feel I was misled about this trend during the interviewing process. The work is extremely boring and purely relates to "number crunching" and Microsoft Excel and PowerPoint. Critical thinking is rarely utilized as the firm relies heavily on past templates and standardized analyses. Utilizing vacation time is frowned upon as my boss initially told me that most people forfeit their vacation time and another consultant mentioned that there is no work-life balance at this company. Sadly, one of my co-workers is planning to work through a good portion of her maternity leave due to her fear of losing her job and the reaction from our teammates. Community service and activism is very low at Towers Perrin. After having positive work experiences in other corporate settings, I am extremely disgruntled with my present employment relationship at Towers Perrin and do not recommend joining this firm.

Senior management must make and effort to reinvigorate the firm's culture as it is extremely sterile and rigid. They also should make an effort to develop more effective communicators at the middle managerial level who actually provide feedback to co-workers. Lastly, hiring more pleasant and kind people would go a long way in improving the firm.

Good place to start an actuarial consulting career...move elsewhere if you want to do creative and interesting work.

Former Employee - Associate
    Former Employee - Associate

I worked at Towers Perrin

Pros

Towers Perrin is a great place for folks who want to build an actuarial consulting career under rather strict guidelines.

Cons

The culture varies too much from office to office, and it all depends on whether your manager cares for your growth. It is very hard to find that sort of relationship here. Promotion schedules can be quite unfair.

More clear communications.

Worked for Towers Perrin? Contribute to the Community!