Towers Watson

Towers Watson Reviews

Updated Jul 7, 2014

Towers Watson CEO John Haley

John Haley

Pros:
  • "I like that they focus a lot on employee health and work/ life balance"
    in 20 reviews
  • "Smart professionals, great working environment and work/life balance"
    in 21 reviews
Cons:
  • "tight /strict deadlines, work life balance can be compromised"
    in 38 reviews
  • "No work life balance during peak seasons"
    in 8 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

The people and nice and supportive.

Intern (Former Employee)
    Arlington, VA

ProsReally great smart and caring people. There is a great work-life balance.

ConsEveryone is so busy with their own stuff there is not a lot of mentorship. People are also not considerate about your time.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone.

Good place to work

Consulting Actuary (Current Employee)
    Detroit, MI

ProsSalary is fair. Lots of interesting work

ConsLonger hours can be expected

CSR

Customer Service Representative (Current Employee)
    Pittsburgh, PA

ProsHours, pay is ok. Not back to back calls like other companies.

ConsGrowing rapidly, attitudes can bring you down.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake sure that center managers and team leads treat staff with respect. They tend to lose sight of that.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Corporate Finance

Arlington, VA

ProsAllows tele-commuting on a limited basis, Annual Bonuses, good technology. The office space in Arlington is very nice and well maintained. Co-workers are nice, pleasant but there are differences in management styles that are evident and can cause issues between co-workers.

ConsLack of transparency, poor communication. Love the WW culture, not the new TW culture. No or limited promotions, even for hardworking superstars. Many departures of tenured staff due and positions being moved to PA office.

You will work with bright people

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsVery hard-working and intelligent people. The company attracts great talent and great clients. It is a very welcoming place for young people to start their career.

ConsCompensation, work-life balance, and exposure to different departments. If you love happy hours and drinking with the boss, you will like it here. If you want to do your work and enjoy a healthy work-life balance, then reconsider. There is some favoritism to those that can blur the line between work and personal life.

Great company to work for!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsDedicated to give interns wide exposure to different areas of the practice.

ConsSame as any other consulting firms, billable hours seem to be a tricky thing but it did not affect interns much.

A wild ride

ProsThere is a lot to be proud of in TW. There is truly an intense focus on doing what's best for clients and there is a lot of opportunity to grow for people who are very bright and self-motivated.

ConsWe have gotten very big and it can be difficult to stay connected with colleagues. Account Directors have so many different services to understand they can sometimes oversimplify our offerings to clients.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep focused on what associates really care about - the opportunity to do great work and have an impact on clients

Amazing people, great diverse experiences

Proswork flexibility, travel opportunities, great senior leaders, international company, great colleagues

Constight /strict deadlines, work life balance can be compromised

Great place to start a career

Senior Analyst (Former Employee)
    New York, NY

Pros- Compensation was above-average
    - Training opportunities were excellent
    - Ability to work on the most prestigious, complex clients on a daily basis
    - Exposure to the world of consulting is something that is applicable to just about any path you wish to pursue
    - Very flexible work schedule
    - Ability to work from home when needed

Cons- Too much emphasis on billable hours; hours targets are unrealistic unless you continue to work outside the office and on weekends
    - Spend too much time putting out fires and not enough time concentrating on the task at hand
    - Bonus opportunities are lacking... not much of an incentive to put in additional hours after you hit your hours target because there's very little upside opportunity
    - It's a bit of an "old boy's club" - most of the good opportunities and promotions seem to go to the favorites rather than the most dedicated and hard-working.

Advice to Senior Management- Absolutely need more advancement opportunities. Promotions only come when there's a need for it and seem to go to the favorites, and the company has (at least for lower level employees) a reputation for being a great place to start a career but not a great place to build a career. If you're not on the fast-track, the only way to move up is to move out.
    - Need to judge performance on a total picture of an employee rather than how many hours they bill. Quantity does not necessarily mean quality.
    - You're very lucky that your employees tend to be very loyal to their colleagues and their managers. Listen to what they have to say.

Bloomington, MN

ProsFlexible hours, still has a pension plan, and company is growing. Everyone that I work with is very knowledgable and very helpful.

ConsHigh stress at times since I work on many clients. Low pay for the amount of hours and stress you put in.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay more attention to your current employee and reward those that deserve it.

Worked for Towers Watson? Contribute to the Community!

Towers Watson – Why Work for Us?

Towers Watson is a leading global professional services company that helps organizations improve performance through effective people, risk and financial management. With 14,000 associates around the world, we offer… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Towers Watson reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Towers Watson CEO John Haley. All 322 reviews posted anonymously by Towers Watson employees.