Towers Watson

Towers Watson Reviews

Updated Jul 17, 2014

Towers Watson CEO John Haley

John Haley

Pros
  • I like that they focus a lot on employee health and work/ life balance(in 22 reviews)

• Smart professionals, great working environment and work/life balance(in 24 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance (there is none) - Long hours/weekend work(in 40 reviews)

• No work life balance during peak seasons(in 8 reviews)

Very competitive atmosphere with a structure that is hierarchal - to their detriment with employee relations.

Consultant (Former Employee)

ProsA lot of opportunity to work with large organizations on a national scale. Offered flexibility. Nice office/work space. Mostly great people there to work with and for.

ConsBoss in another practice and city… made it very hard during reviews (would have to rely solely on what someone said and had several times where it was not accurate, but my voice was not taken into account due to the seniority of the person talking). Also competitive.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook at associates as people, not numbers… I won an international award as part of a team there the year several years. My name was announced as part of the awarded team just a couple weeks after let go… colleagues told me about that announcement and the irony...and we had a good laugh. I found the process of being laid off very stiff, especially for my hard work over the years (working many nights until the middle of the night to keep clients happy, etc.). No regard for personal situations that a person is in at the time of RIF.

can't believe this company was given Forbes rating for most admired company - what??!

(Current Employee) New York, NY

Prospay and benefits are actually alright, but everything else is so bad that it doesn't matter

ConsUnfriendly environment. No training whatsoever at the start. 'On-boarding' process is non-existent. Strangest experience I've ever had at any job in my life, no one tells you anything and you're completely on your own, no one talks to each other in the office at all, very sterile and unfriendly, I really made a mistake taking this job.

Advice to Senior Managementtrain new employees a little bit, it would really help

Not good place to work

Actuarial Analyst (Former Employee) Gurgaon, Haryana (India)

ProsPeople are very helpful. They take out time to help you understand the work and make you grow in the company. Emphasis given to professional growth.

ConsSome people have ego issues. They pile on work together and have unrealistic demands with timelines. Had a lot of trouble taking even half day leave. Also I am having a lot of trouble extracting my leaving documents.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

no work life balance

Prosvery smart people and good pay

Conspeople can be rude and passive agressive. Also, no work life balance.

Frustrating

Consultant (Current Employee) São Paulo, São Paulo (Brazil)

ProsGreat knowledge development and deep expertise on the services provided

ConsRecognitions can be very slow and usually unfair. Young managers will build on the team work and take credit for the work developed by the team members.

Bureaucracy and actuaries

Senior Consultant (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsThere are some great people who want to see you (and will help you) grow and succeed. Once you have established a track record, you will have a good deal of flexibility to structure your routines, approaches to client work, et cetera.

ConsGetting anything done takes several times as long as before the merger, and the administrative burden of working here continues to increase without bound. Culture has also changed for the worse. Senior management is arrogant and authoritarian -- follows "do as I say, not as I do" approach with regard to corporate values and responsibilities.

Advice to Senior ManagementTW is a human resources consultancy. It's embarrassing and disillusioning that we don't practice the 'best practices' we preach.

Not a company to work for.

Consultant (Current Employee)

ProsPeople are polite and you can work from home. That is about the extent of it.

ConsThis company is so archaic, it is frightening. And they believe they are "in touch" with the world as it is today. Guess again.

Advice to Senior ManagementMove to the future, take a stand and set some clear direction.

Interesting work, poor people management and work/life balance

Actuarial Analyst (Current Employee)

ProsThere are some very smart, very talented consultants who are fantastic teachers and can thrust your career forward
    Abundance of training resources and materials
    Plenty of special projects that are generally enjoyable and interesting

ConsGood analysts are punished by receiving more work
    If you're not working on the weekends, it's expected that your studying
    lack of respect for study time
    People who have failed the exam process or are not great workers are generally moved into people management roles (instead of consultants) where they continue to be 'not great'

Advice to Senior ManagementReward your best analysts with tangible benefits
    Consider more goals than just billable hours for determining success (like if projects come in way under budget)
    More stress on study schedules and 'exam time'

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Secretarial work

ProsPeople are great if you are lucky enough to find them

ConsI do mostly secretarial and admin work

Advice to Senior ManagementGive your analysts better work and move faster with decisions

Great place to work if your motivation is money

Associate Consultant (Former Employee) Atlanta, GA

Pros- A very clear-cut career path
    - Opportunity to work directly with clients
    - Interesting Work
    - Great compensation

Cons- Culture of workaholism is praised
    - No regard for human beings. They literally were excited to use the death of a co-worker to get in front of the clients he left behind.
    - No respect for junior employees.
    - Siloed culture per department. Almost impossible to make friends across departments.

Advice to Senior ManagementActually show that you care about people and take your own advice that you offer to clients.

Worked for Towers Watson? Contribute to the Community!