Towers Watson Reviews

Reset
1.0
Towers Watson CEO John Haley
John Haley

Pros
  • Managers allow you to have a good work/life balance (in 30 reviews)

• Nice work environment with free fruits once a week (in 29 reviews)

Cons
  • A lot of reviews have quoted an excellent work/life balance but I don't see it (in 52 reviews)

• No work life balance during peak seasons (in 12 reviews)

Dead end job

Current Employee - Benefit Advisor in Richardson, TX
    Current Employee - Benefit Advisor in Richardson, TX

I have been working at Towers Watson (More than 3 years)

Pros

This is a lifeboat job--great for people desperate for work, or for semi-retired people, or people who only need to work six months out of the year and are happy to make a boatload of money for their employers while earning peanuts for themselves.

Cons

There is no incentive for advancement. No one outside of senior management, even those who are permanent employees, can make much more than $40,000 per year. I was released for two months after eighteen months of continuous employment so they could reset the clock and keep me as a temp to avoid having to pay benefits. All promotions within the company are lateral--supervisors make no more than rank-and-file benefit advisors. Training is inadequate, cronyism is rampant, and each year it gets worse. The business model that might have worked for this company six or eight years ago doesn't work now. More than half of the workforce for this season will be completely inexperienced and/or marginally qualified, which will put more strain on supervisors and cause more negative customer service issues. They will hire anyone with a pulse who can pass the insurance exam, without taking into account the essential qualities needed for a call center rep, most notably literacy and the ability to speak clearly and articulately, in a professional manner, and with courtesy and empathy.

Advice to Management

If they really want to handle the rapid growth, they need more professional people, more incentives, and more opportunities for permanent employment and higher compensation. The only incentive to be a supervisor is to get off of the phones--the pay is no better.

2. benefits advisor

Current Employee - Benefits Advisor in Richardson, TX
    Current Employee - Benefits Advisor in Richardson, TX

Pros

great company to work for

Cons

seasonal job can go full time though

3. CSR

Former Employee - Csr1 in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Csr1 in Dallas, TX

Pros

Decent benefits, excellent training, possibility for advancement if you can tolerate management and senior management's lack of experience and unethical behavior.

Cons

Doesn't follow through with commitments. When hired, I informed management that I had a 3 week contract to fulfill, and would need the time off. Took the time, but unfortunately did not get permission in writing. When I returned on the day promised, I was fired. Get things in writing.

Advice to Management

Follow through with things agreed upon.

5. CSR

Pros

They made navigating benefits simple

Cons

They purchase small companies and layoff half the office. Bad HR communication. Had a coworker who was doing things to intentionally cause harm towards me and they did not do anything. They actually laid me off rather than her when she had no education, several complaints against her and a horrible attendance record.

Advice to Management

Try keeping your employees and move people up from within

Pick another place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Towers Watson (More than a year)

Pros

Location is a good one

Cons

Promotion is not based on merit but for how long are you in that position - like the civil service. Training does not exist. When I started two years ago the onboarding training was none existent that should have been a warning but I ignored it. No training while on the job and onboarding is still a disaster this guy started in my team three months ago without NO support or training just a disaster I am so sorry for him that I try to help but is a disgrace no one has ever explained him anything. Salary is bellow the competition. Work environment now is just toxic, ok we will always have office politics and all that but now is just crazy. Desk to work is tiny like we are employees in a factory in China and now we are doing the hot desk thing, they say is to improve interaction with other people. False they are trying to save money. Ok if you only come into the office once or twice a week is ok. I am there day in day out and every day I need to look for a new desk CRAZY. Time to start looking for a new place like many are doing.

Advice to Management

Treat employees with respect, move into the 21st century. You advise other companies regarding HR - start by giving the example.

Highly Political Environment

Former Employee - Principal in Valhalla, NY
    Former Employee - Principal in Valhalla, NY

I worked at Towers Watson full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The workload is reasonable but seasonal, so there are times you'll be stretched and others you'll be underused. Overall the office spaces are nice and the admin support is great.

Cons

Unless you find somebody in a high position to advocate strongly for you, promotion is highly unlikely and you'll be passed over in favor of others' "pets." Very unimaginative management, they don't really think about what you can offer.

Advice to Management

As you prepare for that merger with Willis, rethink your strategy of layoffs. Very valuable resources were lost forever when Towers and Watson merged.

Don't waste your time here

Current Employee - Utah in South Jordan, UT
    Current Employee - Utah in South Jordan, UT

I have been working at Towers Watson full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I like what I do, who I work with as employees, and who we help as "customers". Unlimited promotions for "yes men". Free coffee and/or hot chocolate.

Cons

The office is shabby, and there is little to no room to advance on merit. Lots of upper management were hired as friends and are not qualified to be in the position they are in. If you get a full time offer be prepared to take a pay cut, as hourly people lose part of their bonus, and salary positions require way more than 40 hours of work. As a benefits company benefits should be good and offered sooner than 1yr +, but this is usually not the case here.

Advice to Management

Respect your employees, pay them a fair wage, offer benefits after 6 months, and stop hiring your college buddies and bff's.

Alienation, inpersonal and depressing

Former Employee - Associate Consultant in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Associate Consultant in Denver, CO

Pros

Great views of Denver, nice location. Good snacks in the kitchen and fairly nice people to work with.

Cons

Very dry, old, stodgy company who is so bogged down by over-doing their security measures, they prevent themselves from ever creating good software. You can't use any cloud based software, their VPN is a nightmare, their tech support is a joke and overall, their products stink, their developers are dinosaurs and there is no real feeling of company culture or comeraderie.

Advice to Management

Learn to trust your employees, give them the benefit of the doubt and let them wear jeans, this isn't 1954. Also, don't throw them under the bus and stop it with that desk sharing junk, what a nightmare.

Licensed Benefit Advisor

Former Employee - Licensed Agent in South Jordan, UT
    Former Employee - Licensed Agent in South Jordan, UT

I worked at Towers Watson (More than a year)

Pros

The pay was at least normal. Should be higher , but at least more than 15.00 hr.

Cons

Where to start. They reward bad behavior. They want to to hurry and get people off of the phone and not spend time with the customer. I saw many agents who could have cared less about the customer and would enroll everyone into the same plan. Some agents wouldn't take the time to do drug plans for the customer but yet those agents were making the most money. So the agents who treated the customer the worst got the Team Lead positions, won awards, etc... I spoke with many customers who would call back in due to the first agent not taking the time with them and rushing them. When they called back (and Extend couldn't figure out why the call volume was high) then I would take my time to make sure they felt like they had enrolled into the correct plan. The first year I was with Extend they told us to enroll every one into a Medigap F plan. Extend would get higher commission. Then the next year they told us to put people into a plan that fit their needs, but to do a drug plan took a long time and some agents wouldn't do them. This made the customer have to call back in and then the agents that did take their time with the customer got docked for long phone time. The first year we made a base pay plus some commission. The 2nd year we were told it was against the law to pay us commission. Really? Since when is it against the law to pay insurance agents a commission? They make millions during the AEP and then they lay off the agents. The disgusting part of their process is they make the seasonal agent sign a non-compete agreement which says they can't sell health insurance anywhere else. Is this fair? They use the employee, toss them out and then don't let them work anywhere else as a health agent. Talk about one sided. Employment at it's worst. They are smiling all the way to the bank while the employees get used and abused. They don't know what it is to take care of customers or employees.

Advice to Management

Care about your employees and customers, instead of your bank account first.

Low Balling their Employees - Non Technical people reviewing technical personnel

Former Employee - Business Analyst in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Business Analyst in Seattle, WA

I worked at Towers Watson part-time

Pros

None whatsoever None whatsoever None whatsoever None whatsoever None whatsoever None whatsoever

Cons

Absolutely Low balling their Full time employees. Charging a lot of money to clients and people with no background in technical aspects write review about highly advanced and skilled personnel. Saying they are not Fit to Company Culture etc. Specifically formed to squeeze Americans out of their Healthcare and Welfare Benefits and fill their own pockets as company by hiring inferior HR and other personnel reviewing highly talented and innovative employees.

Advice to Management

Quit low balling employees to fill your own Pockets.

RSS Feed </> Embed