Towers Watson

Updated December 15, 2014
3.3

Towers Watson CEO John Haley
John Haley

Pros
  • I like that they focus a lot on employee health and work/ life balance (in 30 reviews)

• Flexible work environment depending upon the office and the manager (in 29 reviews)

Cons
  • A lot of reviews have quoted an excellent work/life balance but I don't see it (in 52 reviews)

• No work life balance during peak seasons (in 12 reviews)

More Highlights

Incompetent

Current Employee - Actuarial
    Current Employee - Actuarial

I have been working at Towers Watson full-time

Pros

Not a single thing is good

Cons

As a junior actuary I want to learn. To grow. To become the best at what I do.
    All I have done for the past year was cleaning data. When confronting management about this, they confirm that this will continue for the next 4 to 5 years, and even worse even people with 12 years of experience are still doing this.

The methods we use are out-dated to say the very least. In our whole office there are only 3 people who knows how to program in VBA. If I suggest a better approach it is shot down almost immediately.

I compare myself to my other actuarial friends in other companies and they are doing far more advanced things after 3 or 4 months than what I am doing after 1 year.

The junior actuaries hired (and a large number of senior actuaries as well), are completely useless as well with one girl who will become a qualified actuary in a few years asked me (to mention one of the few stupid questions) how to concatenate 2 cells in excel.

Another asking me what SC is exactly after working at TW for 7 months...

Good talent is leaving TW.

DO NOT EMPLOY IDIOTS. Set up a testing system in which candidates much attain a certain level to be considered to join TW.

Towers Watson Response

Oct 9, 2014Segment Lead Recruiter

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We're disappointed to hear your negative comments. We have a graduate recruitment process with a vigorous assessment criteria, which we hope ensures ... More

Not great for growth opportunities

Current Employee - Consultant in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Consultant in New York, NY

I have been working at Towers Watson full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good Benefits and work life balance

Cons

Not a lot of growth opportunities

Make sure you have a people manager who takes development seriously.

Former Employee - Analyst
    Former Employee - Analyst

I worked at Towers Watson full-time

Pros

Exposure to various clients and industries.

Flexible work environment depending upon the office and the manager.

Cons

You'll do the same work over and over again. If you get stuck with a people manager who doesn't care about development you can get dead ended. Some offices afford you more flexibility than others. Average benefits. I highly recommend not starting your career at Towers. Other firms do a much better job of developing their people. Go to Hay, Pay Governance or Pear Meyer if you are starting your career in this field. You'll be treated much better as an analyst or project manager.

Do a better job of picking people managers. Look at what offices have high turnover/haven't promoted people and ask yourself what has been the constant.

Great Company unless you work in the Finance Department

Current Employee - Project Billing Analyst in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Project Billing Analyst in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Towers Watson full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

There are opportunities to post out to other departments, but it is very rare and a slow process to transfer out of the Finance Department. The Finance Department is looked down upon and the workers are treated like peons. Management is very hands on and is constantly watching who is at their seats and working. The Department is micro managed from the Director down to the Supervisors. It is a very abrasive and tense environment.

Cons

I don't have anything positive to say about personal growth, promotions and leadership except it is very hard to move. The low balled the salaries of the employees just joining the team and the disparity in salaries amoungst the group is very large. Some people make 38,000 and some make 65,000 to do the same exact job.

They need to evaluate the leadership role from the Supervisors up to the VP of the Department and make changes. Talk the talk, but also walk the walk. They have nice meetings but people are afraid to speak up and speak their minds for fear of retaliation or being terminated. Management is unapproachable and too hands on.

Clients ahead of employees, bad management skills.

Former Employee - Consultant in Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia)
    Former Employee - Consultant in Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia)

I worked at Towers Watson full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good location of office.

Cons

Managers not pleasant to work for, treat staff like being a number. Boring job and work load too heavey for one person due to colleagues leaving and not being replaced.

Treat employees better and be more approachable.

Used to be great as Towers Perrin .... but that was ages ago!

Current Employee - Consultant in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Consultant in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Towers Watson full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- remnants of intellectual capital still make it a good consultancy compared to the big four (who suck in human resource consultancy);
    - aspires to be the mckinsey of strategic HR ... and on occasion does a good job!

Cons

- little shop mentality all over the business - a cottage industry like behaviour amongst pricipals who will give projects to their favourites, shutting out new talent or those that could outshine them
    - will they EVER reward their consultants with market rates .... ironical for a reward consultancy to not drink its own coolaid
    - very unfriendly to consultants with young families or those due to go on maternity etc (though they say its worse at the big four)

- have been losing or not winning for a long time ... something is wrong
    - reward your peeps ...

Towers Watson Response

Oct 9, 2014Segment Lead Recruiter

Thank you for your review. As mentioned in a previous comment we have recently carried out work around maternity leave which is hopefully a positive step.

Worst local leadership team ever

I have been working at Towers Watson

Pros

If I have to say something: Fruits for employees. This is the only thing worth saying. Nothing good comes from this company in Brazil.

Cons

The leaders have no ethics and are always trying to manipulate everything. Line managers are being promoted without any knowledge on the practice they are responsible for. I'm ashamed to have this company in my curriculum.

Global leadership team should evaluate the local managers and apply punishment for unethical behaviors.

Thrive on mediocrity

Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Towers Watson full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

If you have had a mediocre career, but have the ability to take other peoples ideas, grab leads before the right person with the right skills does, and promote yourself and synch up with upper management, then this is place for you!

Cons

Still having problems with the merger from 2010. Old Towers Perrin culture reigns in the Talent, Rewards, and Communications practice. Not very talented people get ahead, as long as they play the politics right. They don't recognize talent. Consultants are way overworked, and they don't pay as well as the big 4 consulting firms.

You should take your own advice that you give to your clients.

HR is way too inefficient

I have been working at Towers Watson part-time

Pros

a good firm per se

Cons

HR is way too inefficient

Not for me

I worked at Towers Watson as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Loved the type of work and the workload

Cons

Unless you want to devote your entire personal life to your coworkers, it's impossible to succeed at this company. Most socialize with, live with, and even date their coworkers.