Towers Watson

www.towerswatson.com
Employer Engaged

The Good and the Bad

I have been working at Towers Watson

Pros

Company values and senior management

Cons

Promotions
    Company policy not consistent across all management levels

Consider giving single employees free dependents for HMO

Nice place to start your career

I have been working at Towers Watson full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Management is aware of the needs of their employees

Cons

Manager & TC only provides opportunities to their favorite employees

Try not to provide all opportunities to your friends in the office just be rational

I highly enjoy working in this office!

Current Employee - Pension Analyst in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Pension Analyst in Denver, CO

I have been working at Towers Watson

Pros

Great co-workers, relaxed corporate atmosphere.

Cons

No monetary compensation for promotions

More resources for advancing career and being compensated for hard work.

good place to start your career.

I worked at Towers Watson full-time

Pros

Nice place to start your career, quality work done with enriching experience of learning some good tools and databases. Salary increment and bonus is usually above the industry standards. Young team, making it comfortable for people to adjust easily.

Cons

Sometimes one faces the challenge of being managed by the incompetent manager as the team is quite young. No work life balance during peak time (which stays so around the year). I feel most of the work is delegated to the junior employees while you can see project managers whiling away their time. It is demotivating and unfair.

Please make sure that the salary increment and bonuses are actually based on the quality of the work done by an employee and not on the general opinion of the colleagues.

Benefit Advisor

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richardson, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richardson, TX

I worked at Towers Watson

Pros

Cleanest call center ever! Many extremely nice, knowledgeable people. The permanent employees as a whole are great folks, usually in a good mood, and genuinely out to help people to the best of their ability. They ran contests giving prizes for most enrollments, etc. There was a possibility of up to a $750 bonus, but factoring in about 10 different (very different) situations affecting your bonus, it was close to impossible to obtain this amount. They provide meals a few times a month usually pizza which is nice. You will obtain your Life & Health insurance license through the company at their expense. This is a fast paced job during open enrollment and time goes by quickly.

Cons

Parking is minimal at best. During open enrollment unless you choose a very early shift, you can't park in the main lot, although they did add some to the parking lot in December, not utilizing the space well in my opinion. Nobody working seasonal was paid for any holidays or given any time off for the holidays only 24 hours. When the season ends, they have your supervisor standing at your desk when you get in, tell you assignment over and have you clean out your desk. Not nearly enough training in practical experience to start with, you learn as you go. Rather than keep the the new hires who meet company standards, each year they have a hiring event. The caliber of people in some instances have been below par, generally these are the first that get let go at the end of the season.

Get company policies in order and be clear about what those policies are. When asking a question, if you ask 3 different supervisors the same question you get 3 different answers. If someone has a great work ethic and is making One Exchange money, find a place to keep them. Many high caliber, good people with great attitudes and work ethic were let go.

Great supporter of career development so long as you're proactive

I have been working at Towers Watson

Pros

Colleagues are the reason why this is a great place to work

Cons

Too many layers of leadership

Ehh..Denver office

Current Employee - Benefits Analyst in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Benefits Analyst in Denver, CO

I have been working at Towers Watson full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Lots of PTO, decent benefits, free food once in awhile

Cons

Can't have our own desks, boring mudane work, snotty coworkers.
    The Denver office has run out of room so we have to share desks. Take a day off? Someone will be sitting at your desk. Management has told us "real estate is too expensive." So please stress your workers out more by making us not able to have your own space. Also, not much of a career path when the majority of your employees are taken off the street with no background or financial experience. Plus the Denver employees are just snotty and stuck up.
    At least this experience has made me realize I am sick of working for this industry and now getting a Master's degree.
    Oh and pay is a joke, making less than 40k and I have experience. Plus you will not get promoted until 18 months in, I've been told what a great job I'm doing but no promotion or raise. So I'm basically doing nothing challenging because you can't do anything outside of your level.

You don't care about your employees, if you did you would obtain more space, the Denver office is growing, don't punish us by making us share desks...if you had a clue you would know this increases turnover by 35%. But you can always hire from Applebee's.

Comp Analyst/ Product Leader

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in White Plains, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in White Plains, NY

I worked at Towers Watson

Pros

Made a lot of friends, free toilet paper, water, and coffee, and oxygen

Cons

Feel like I was in the Twilight Zone but Rod Sterling wasn't there drinking gin and smoking a cigar.

No career development, awful promotions, bonuses dependent on other units so even if you perform well your bonus may take a hit.

Poor management, lots of people coasting by doing minimal work while a few are putting in 14+ hour days to make deadlines. Management doesn't do anything about those that cant do the work except move them to different units or makes excuses.

Management afraid to make tough decisions and get rid of people

A lot of inner office conflict and turmoil, backstabbing. Departments work out of sync instead of together.

Company is still using 2 different products instead of using one even though merger was 5 years ago.

Different countries have different processes, which makes it near impossible with global clients.

No training or development for current employees.

Having to pay for parking.

Decisions made from the top that are negatively impacting the unit as they don't understand exactly how it will impact.

Having the IT group in the Philippines has been brutal as everything has been delayed and the group hasnt been trained to keep up with the demands of the organization.

Poor communication all around.

Consulting offices that are very difficult to work.

For an HR company, this is unacceptable. Take a hard look at your employees and cut the dead weight and reward those that work hard.

Good employer, good people

Former Employee - Actuary in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Actuary in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Towers Watson full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Bright, resourceful group of consultants
    Huge portfolio of large clients
    Excellent opportunity to work on a variety of projects

Cons

Job security
    Upper management somewhat detached from those they are managing

Communicate more effectively with employees regarding performance goals

Horrible Place

I worked at Towers Watson

Pros

Nice people, ok location, forced to write at least five words

Cons

Passive aggressive leadership, Terrible product