Towers Watson Reviews

Updated September 15, 2014
3.3

Towers Watson CEO John Haley
John Haley

Pros
  • I like that they focus a lot on employee health and work/ life balance (in 22 reviews)

• Smart professionals, great working environment and work/life balance (in 24 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance (there is none) - Long hours/weekend work (in 40 reviews)

• No work life balance during peak seasons (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

Culture? what culture?

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Towers Watson

Pros

Nice offices. Convenient location, free coffee and tea.

Cons

No team environment obvious. Everyone seems disjointed most likely because..."am I Towers" or "am I Watson" They have no culture of team work or sharing information . No feedback on job performance, unless it's unsatisfactory. Never a pat on the back for good work done. Unapproachable management.

Recognize and reward your employees for good work done. Offer CONSTRUCTIVE criticism when improvment is needed.

You won't like to work over here. 1 plus 1 is not greater but less than 1 for merged Towers Watson.

I have been working at Towers Watson

Pros

*Employee will acquire practical actuary working knowledge in Towers Watson.
    *The internal actuary training is helpful.
    *People working around are nice and helpful.
    *Instead of regular 401K matching, company offers pension plan.

Cons

The merging didn't work very well for the new company. Many young and talent employee are leaving or laid off because of the overlapping departments or positions. It's hard to tell whose department is better than the other. Politics won the final decision of who would step up and who would step down. The benefit and pay is just fine. You pay more than $150 every month for medical and $3,000 dollars deductible every year. The bonus rate is ok and it's based on your level and overtime hours.

Fairly assess the valuable departments and employee while merging. Cost-cutting may be as important in hard times as increasing revenues, but you are losing talent people and reputation.

Look Elsewhere

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at Towers Watson

Pros

Lots of young people to socialize with after work - If that is something you are looking for
    Some perks such as free food and access to free tickets to sports games - Not as much as they used to

Cons

I agree with the work like a scared animal post
    Everything is about billable hours
    0 work life balance - Need to drop your personal life at a moments notice to complete a project
    Excessively high turnover rate
    Poor Health insurance
    Poor management

Pay your employees for overtime. Don't work employees to death. More positive feedback instead of only criticizing what was done wrong. If you are going to overwork employees at least reinstate all of the perks they once had. More opportunities for career growth.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

No respect for non-mgt and non-billable associates - very old school mgt style; kiss family life good-bye

Current Employee - Associate
    Current Employee - Associate

I have been working at Towers Watson

Pros

The pay is competitive. I like my co-workers and the work I do. Pension benefits, good 401k (Schwab), free coffee, free parking.

Cons

Absolutely zero regard for work/life balance. Innovative thinking is exterminated on sight. Mgt incapable of timely and intelligent decision making. Mgt to lower level communication either non-existent or falls completely short. Big on lip service (another employee survey, hooray!), falls flat on action. Terrible health plan ($3K deductible BCBS is the ONLY option). No employee retention plan. Peter principle applies. No real career advancement opportunities and no money for training. If you are not already moving within the 'right' circles, you never will.

Hire an outside company to deal with employee dissatisfaction, since you're obviously never going to act on the feedback in the employee surveys you keep conducting. Treat band 3 and below like human beings, not livestock. Stop telling associates that layoffs are good for the shareholders. Be honest with people; we can handle the truth. Being lied to / kept in the dark has lost this company at my location all respect and nobody believes mgt anymore. Morale is at an all-time low and sinking further every day. Don't ask / tell us to continue to do more unpaid overtime while frowning upon permanent alternative work arrangements / schedules. You have to give some to get some. Don't make us beg and plead for every tiny little concession; it's 2010 not 1960. Work with us; happy employees make for much higher productivity than miserable ones. Encourage intelligent thought, don't stifle it. It is absolutely stunning that TW is in the business of HR consulting and treats its own employees like Kleenex.

They are just not fair and not family friendly

Former Employee - Project Administrator  in  Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Project Administrator in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Towers Watson

Pros

People seem to be impressed with the name.

Cons

no workplace balance if you are not management

the little people count also!

Senior actuarial analyst

Current Employee - Senior Actuarial Analyst  in  Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Senior Actuarial Analyst in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Towers Watson full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Smartest people in the industry.

Cons

Company is to top heavy and does not take care of the little people. Salaries are lower and hours are longer then other places.

Everyone is not easily replaceable. Even the little people. Take care of the people or the reputation of a low paying sweat shop will deter good people from thinking of working there.

Beware of Backstabbing Managers

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Taguig (Philippines)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Taguig (Philippines)

I worked at Towers Watson full-time for more than a year

Pros

Above average pay, mid-year and performance bonuses. HR training and support is great

Cons

Uptight management with malicious intentions towards subordinates, creating illusions of non-existent pressure. Beware of managers that bad mouth their peers behind their backs to the higher ups just so, they will look good especially, managers who are former employees of TW that got hired back again.

Little interest in people. Good expertise in HR

Current Employee - Senior Consultant
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant

I have been working at Towers Watson full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

If you're a young professional or a very seasoned one, TW could be a good place for you: as a new recruit, you'll learn a lot. As a director, you'll earn a lot.

Cons

For anybody in the middle of the TW food chain, life is not easy. As a consultant or Senior consultant, your targets will be very demanding and recognition quite limited.
    Furthermore, as we saw in recent months, when the going gets tough, consultants are asked to go. I've never seen a practice leader be asked to leave when his/her practice did poorly. In these cases, TW will get rid of some people in the practice to re-balance the p&l.
    No focus on people in this company, it's all about pleasing the shareholders.

Consider that sometimes when things don't go well you are the problem as much as - or more than - your employees.
    Cutting costs is short-term, shortsighted solution, that's not going to do any good to your employees.

Great people but too much internal politics

Current Employee - Senior Investment Analyst  in  Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Senior Investment Analyst in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Towers Watson full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Broad experience and good people, some people will mentor junior members

Cons

Poor pay, long hours, career development is not focused and far to much internal politics

Improve pay if you want to retain talent, not competitive also improve communication and examine to issue with regards to internal politics

If you enjoy 60 hour work weeks - this is the place for you!

I have been working at Towers Watson full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Decent Pay
    Telecommute/office location
    Intelligent & nice People

Cons

Work life balance (there is none) - Long hours/weekend work. This results from encouraging extra work for additional client billable hours.
    Entering in your time
    Staffing is not adequate
    Minimal number of paid days off
    Medical benefits are sub par compared to other employers
    Some team managers and project managers are disrespectful to staff
    Morale of many many workers can be dismal.

Let people have a life outside of work. Hire more people. Create a positive morale work environment and stop being critical. Don't let a 60 hour work week be the norm!

Worked for Towers Watson? Contribute to the Community!