Towers Watson

Updated January 23, 2015
3.4

Towers Watson CEO John Haley
John Haley

Pros
  • I like that they focus a lot on employee health and work/ life balance (in 30 reviews)

• Flexible work environment depending upon the office and the manager (in 29 reviews)

Cons
  • A lot of reviews have quoted an excellent work/life balance but I don't see it (in 52 reviews)

• No work life balance during peak seasons (in 12 reviews)

More Highlights

Intern, analyst and senior analyst--first job.

Current Employee - Senior Actuarial Analyst in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Actuarial Analyst in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Towers Watson full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Broad exposure to lots of different work. Good place to learn a lot, fast. Consultants care about growth and development of analysts. I liked my team. Allowed flexible schedules and working arrangements. Casual attire.

Cons

A lot of turnover. People kept on leaving, and were often not replaced. Too much work for too few analysts. Very few consultants started at the company and worked their way up.

Hire more people. Better training of junior staff to reach consulting level skills.

Working for a leading consulting team...

Current Employee - Health & Group Benefits Analyst in Montevideo (Uruguay)
    Current Employee - Health & Group Benefits Analyst in Montevideo (Uruguay)

I have been working at Towers Watson full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good people and awesome place to learn amongst very talented proffessionals.

Cons

Working as benefit analysts, we do not have any benefit in what so ever. Promotions are given based on education and degrees.

Make a minimum effort to keep your employees happy, we are young but not stupid. Degrees are not everything, promotions must be based on our personal and team performance.

Investment analyst

Current Employee - Investment Analyst in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Investment Analyst in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Towers Watson full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Culture study package training opportunities

Cons

Long hours not much meritocracy to get ahead early on

Instant high pressure with NO training

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant

I worked at Towers Watson full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The team I worked with were hard working. You were able to leave on time and there was no requirement to work weekends.

Cons

There was no training given at all, even if they new that you had no previous experience in any role similar. When you asked for some it was not given. The managers were dismissive and appeared not to care for their employees. The lunch break was meant to be an hour, this was cut to 15-20 mins if they were feeling generous. If they felt that you call turn around time was not within the two minuet target (very hard when you get lonely pensioner on the phone, or a difficult and complicated case) then disciplinary action would be taken. The pay was not very good. It all felt very impersonal and you did not feel valued, if you did a good job there would be no recognition. Overall it was poor, and I would not recommend them to anyone.

Nov 5, 2014Talent Acquisition

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. All associates who join our pensions administration and contact centre teams now go on a full induction before being placed on a team to ensure they ... More

Interesting work, no work/life balance

Current Employee - Actuarial Analyst
    Current Employee - Actuarial Analyst

I have been working at Towers Watson full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great place to start out and gain new skills.
    Good exam support and general training.
    Highly intelligent and motivated co-workers who are willing to train on the job.
    Fun office environment. Lots of events to take part in, and friendly co-workers.
    Flexible hours; doesn't matter when you leave/come in, as long as you meet your billable goals.
    Pay is so-so. Easy to advance in pay quickly if you can pass exams, but pay levels off once you are designated.

Cons

No work life balance. Expect minimum 45 hours per week, sometimes 60 or more.
    Unrealistic billable hour targets.
    Demotivating, because performance considered high elsewhere is only average here.
    Very stressful due to competing client demands, need to balance your time.
    Strong push to reduce hours to meet budgets, but very difficult to do the work in this time, which creates stress.
    Steep learning curve.

Your employees are your biggest asset. Stop trying to squeeze every hour you can from them until they are forced to leave, and start thinking long-term. You spend so much time and money training them, but then create an environment that very few can stay in long-term.

Nov 5, 2014Talent Acquisition

Thank you for your positive comments about the working environment and our associates. I will pass on your comments about billable hours and targets.

Great at first, then falls to mediocrity

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Towers Watson full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Insightful perspective into the specific industries you're working for, can be very interesting. The culture is supportive where most people are willing to lend a helping hand if you ask for it. The compensation is excellent.

Cons

Long hours, not so challenging work after a few months, have to be up to date with current government policies which can be interesting to some people. The high turnover rate can be demotivating and a blow to the company morale. The chance for promotions is stifled if you work with someone with a bad reputation and not many people have the insight to overlook this.

Find ways to motivate people to work smart and faster, and set the billing hour targets to a reasonable one, there just isn't that much work for everyone.

Good people, good employment terms, but not very dynamic.

Current Employee - Software Developer in Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)

I have been working at Towers Watson full-time

Pros

Good pay & benefits, flexible hours, relaxed and low stress. The people are good, and close interaction with the actuaries who use and sell our software is a benefit. Software is increasingly recognised within Towers Watson as a major part of the business and prioritised by management.

Cons

Lots of corporate nonsense can be irritating and dis-empowering. Limited domain (actuarial modelling software and associated enterprise systems), conservative customers (insurance companies) and being Windows-only can mean limited opportunity to experiment with new and cool technologies or ideas. Limited scope to move between teams/products at will.

Nov 5, 2014Talent Acquisition

Thanks for your comments - I have passed these onto the software team.

Workplace

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant

I worked at Towers Watson full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great working with highly educated and intelligent individuals.

Cons

Maximum work with minimal rewards.

Embrace staff.

Great place to learn

Current Employee - Analyst in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Analyst in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Towers Watson full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great people to work with

Cons

Pressure to deliver very high quality work under very tight deadlines

Good place to start your career but lots of politics

Former Employee - Business Analyst in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Business Analyst in Chicago, IL

I worked at Towers Watson full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Lots of responsibility, great place to grow and work with smart people.

Cons

Tough work-life balance; work from home policy is allowed in some offices but only to encourage longer working hours

Support bottom up ideas; more exposure to upper level management