Towers Watson

Employer Engaged

Ehh..Denver office

Current Employee - Benefits Analyst in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Benefits Analyst in Denver, CO

I have been working at Towers Watson full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Lots of PTO, decent benefits, free food once in awhile

Cons

Can't have our own desks, boring mudane work, snotty coworkers.
    The Denver office has run out of room so we have to share desks. Take a day off? Someone will be sitting at your desk. Management has told us "real estate is too expensive." So please stress your workers out more by making us not able to have your own space. Also, not much of a career path when the majority of your employees are taken off the street with no background or financial experience. Plus the Denver employees are just snotty and stuck up.
    At least this experience has made me realize I am sick of working for this industry and now getting a Master's degree.
    Oh and pay is a joke, making less than 40k and I have experience. Plus you will not get promoted until 18 months in, I've been told what a great job I'm doing but no promotion or raise. So I'm basically doing nothing challenging because you can't do anything outside of your level.

You don't care about your employees, if you did you would obtain more space, the Denver office is growing, don't punish us by making us share desks...if you had a clue you would know this increases turnover by 35%. But you can always hire from Applebee's.

Comp Analyst/ Product Leader

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in White Plains, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in White Plains, NY

I worked at Towers Watson

Pros

Made a lot of friends, free toilet paper, water, and coffee, and oxygen

Cons

Feel like I was in the Twilight Zone but Rod Sterling wasn't there drinking gin and smoking a cigar.

No career development, awful promotions, bonuses dependent on other units so even if you perform well your bonus may take a hit.

Poor management, lots of people coasting by doing minimal work while a few are putting in 14+ hour days to make deadlines. Management doesn't do anything about those that cant do the work except move them to different units or makes excuses.

Management afraid to make tough decisions and get rid of people

A lot of inner office conflict and turmoil, backstabbing. Departments work out of sync instead of together.

Company is still using 2 different products instead of using one even though merger was 5 years ago.

Different countries have different processes, which makes it near impossible with global clients.

No training or development for current employees.

Having to pay for parking.

Decisions made from the top that are negatively impacting the unit as they don't understand exactly how it will impact.

Having the IT group in the Philippines has been brutal as everything has been delayed and the group hasnt been trained to keep up with the demands of the organization.

Poor communication all around.

Consulting offices that are very difficult to work.

For an HR company, this is unacceptable. Take a hard look at your employees and cut the dead weight and reward those that work hard.

Good employer, good people

Former Employee - Actuary in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Actuary in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Towers Watson full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Bright, resourceful group of consultants
    Huge portfolio of large clients
    Excellent opportunity to work on a variety of projects

Cons

Job security
    Upper management somewhat detached from those they are managing

Communicate more effectively with employees regarding performance goals

Horrible Place

I worked at Towers Watson

Pros

Nice people, ok location, forced to write at least five words

Cons

Passive aggressive leadership, Terrible product

Great Internship

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in White Plains, NY
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in White Plains, NY

I worked at Towers Watson as an intern

Pros

-Great learning experience
    -Very welcoming
    -Managers were happy to help out

Cons

-Did not have enough work for the group on interns to do

Co-Workers are Great!

Current Employee - Benefits in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Benefits in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Towers Watson full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I've been there for 19 months and I mostly enjoy The People, We have such a Great Team in Benefits, The work can be challenging with all of the industry changes, Salary is decent, The Paid Time Off is great, Beautiful New Office Space in PPG. Wide range of hours to work.

Cons

Work Force Management needs to work with people on a more personal level, for family circumstances. They need to have just a little human component to them...somewhere. While we understand that bottom line and company needs take precedent, they need to work with people so that they want to stay and continue to grow there. That stands on every level.

Please don't lose the Family component. We all work hard, but also need support for schedules and family circumstances. Management needs to listen to key personnel when issues arise and address them in a more timely fashion.

Pension Analyst/Administrator - Pension Administration Group (PAG)

Current Employee - Pension Analyst in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Pension Analyst in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Towers Watson

Pros

Easy to get hired (most locations now focus on new hires who start as temps for 6 months or a year, which is great if you do not have experience, or they only hire those with a lot of experience in a rival company). The company is very flexible - you get 15 days of PTO from your date of hire and as long as you get your work done ahead of time, you can take them as needed. Also, the company recently changed their dress-code policy from business casual to allow you to wear jeans everyday if you wish (still under the business casual umbrella, though - clients do visit the offices and you should look put together). Also, working from home has not been an issue when I've needed to, but the company still likes you to be in the office on a regular basis.

Cons

Salary is much lower than the industry standard and negotiation of salary or requests for a raise are generally met with a "Nope". If you are a good, smart, hard-working employee, you generally get taken advantage of in terms of having to do a majority of the workload on teams, however, if you speak up about being overworked it's generally remedied pretty quickly. There is a billable hours requirement (which is standard for a majority of corporations), however, it is unattainable. For the lower level employees you are expected to have 1600 hours of BILLABLE time per fiscal year (ie., time the company can bill to a client for work you've done - if you don't have anything to do, you don't get billable hours). If you do the math on that 1600 hour goal, you need to get 6.7 hours of billable work per day MINIMUM, every single day of the week, WITHOUT taking account for holidays or PTO (or slow-periods within the company where your workload may be at a minimum, to no fault of the employee). In a nutshell, it is not an attainable goal for most people. Additionally, your billable hours goal is worth 70% of your yearly assessment and therefore greatly affects your promotion and salary increase possibilities. There is not a clear path of advancement and you are generally oblivious to what other departments do within the company (and therefore, you are not aware of the opportunities they may present to you). Finally, if you move voluntarily while employed for Towers Watson, do NOT expect a Cost of Living Adjustment to your salary.... even if you ask for it. The response will be "we didn't ask for you to move, you're not worth that to us".

The CEO has been traveling all around the country for the last year (and will continue to do so in 2015) to introduce himself and "see what the people think" - the reality is that he gets to travel the country on the company's dime (including the travel expenses, meals, hotels, etc.) to pop into an office or two for a couple of hours where the employees aren't going to speak up about anything because nobody knows him on a day-to-day basis. I'm not saying that he is a bad guy in any way (I've never met the man), but this exercise is wasteful and futile. Reallocate those travel funds to pay your employees what they deserve - I guarantee your turn-over rate will decrease.

Good company

Current Employee - Investment Consultant in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Investment Consultant in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Towers Watson full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great support to qualify for CFA
    Very high caliber senior people at Band 50 and 60 which is encouraging

Cons

Not many people get to Level 50 or 60
    Very silo'd approach within the investment division

Great Consultancy

Current Employee - Consultant in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Consultant in Washington, DC

I have been working at Towers Watson full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great work life balance, sharp, driven, colleagues. Prestige of being a preeminent HR consultancy.

Cons

None at the moment.

Excellent experience. Great company with great people.

Current Intern - RxCollaborative Pharmacy Group Purchasing in Stamford, CT
    Current Intern - RxCollaborative Pharmacy Group Purchasing in Stamford, CT

I have been working at Towers Watson as an intern

Pros

The employees are all great, very helpful, patient, and hard working. Enjoyable place to work at and learn as an intern.

Cons

There could have been increased potential in tasks assigned.