Towers Watson Reviews

Updated September 15, 2014
3.4

Towers Watson CEO John Haley
John Haley

Pros
  • I like that they focus a lot on employee health and work/ life balance (in 22 reviews)

• Smart professionals, great working environment and work/life balance (in 24 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance (there is none) - Long hours/weekend work (in 40 reviews)

• No work life balance during peak seasons (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

Poor Division Leadership, stifled internal issues & no incentive to perform well.

Former Employee - Analyst  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Analyst in New York, NY

I worked at Towers Watson full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

-Some great colleagues who are all very intelligent.
    -Somewhat flexible working schedule (remote, etc).
    -Exposure to varied clients

Cons

-Well below market compensation and pitiful bonuses.
    -WAY too much emphasis on billable hours. The hours target is unrealistic unless you work like a horse.
    -ZERO incentive to perform well - bonuses are severely lacking.
    -No clear Performance Review process: Mid-Year was often skipped with no explanation. Process was disjointed and inefficient (e.g., Employees who had limited exposure to you will be asked to review you - nothing done about achieving your objectives).
    -No recognition - "It's your job, why should we let reward you?"
    -VERY poor Division Management (specifically in the OSI division in the East). Leaders are "fake" and absent in helping you build your career.
    -No advancement opportunities - if you're an Analyst, plan to stay in that role. They only hire consultants externally. Even then, the salaries are a joke (6+ year consultant was at $68k in NYC).
    -No adjustment for Cost-of-Living: Example, those working in NYC are compensated the same as those in Atlanta.
    -"Back-stabbing" and pointing fingers is the norm.

-Focus on the employee, not their billable hours
    -Create incentive to actually perform above expectation
    -Meet market pay
    -Replace division leaders in OSI (esp. the East) with those who are both astute in the business world AS WELL as possessing some semblance of EQ.

Great stepping stone into a consulting career but LOTS of internal issues

Former Employee - Analyst
    Former Employee - Analyst

I worked at Towers Watson full-time for more than a year

Pros

Really smart people, very 'client first', brand name looks good on a resume, lots of client exposure

Cons

Pay is not competitive with other firms, senior leadership is completely out of touch with lower level employees, hyper-competitive "blame" environment, lack of recognition, culture of favoritism, lack of top-down communication, lack of career development and growth opportunities, lack of incentives to stay, impossible billable goals, lower level employees are systemically unhappy, no work-life balance, no on-boarding process

Listen to what your lower level employees say and make tangible changes, the fact that there is zero communication top-down or acknowledgement of external challenges/issues make the work environment toxic. You know what employees are saying (org surveys etc) take the time to actually do something about it or expect to lose more people. You can't pay people next to nothing, treat them poorly, and expect them to stick around for very long. This is a company (or at least LOB) wide issue.

Great colleagues, shame about the managment

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I worked at Towers Watson full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Worked with mostly a nice bunch of people, good office locations in London, get to work alongside some very knowledgeable people. One definite plus is the name looks good on your CV if nothing else.

Cons

Understaffed for most of the time I was there and found it to be very old boys network, if they or the senior people liked you you did well, if not tough luck and no chance of moving up. Non existent work life balance. Not great on bonus payments

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Corporate Finance

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Towers Watson full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Allows tele-commuting on a limited basis, Annual Bonuses, good technology. The office space in Arlington is very nice and well maintained. Co-workers are nice, pleasant but there are differences in management styles that are evident and can cause issues between co-workers.

Cons

Lack of transparency, poor communication. Love the WW culture, not the new TW culture. No or limited promotions, even for hardworking superstars. Many departures of tenured staff due and positions being moved to PA office.

Great place to learn; unable to truly retain and engage

I have been working at Towers Watson full-time

Pros

People are great and knowledgeable and there are various opportunities to contribute and excel if you are a go-getter and work hard. Work is generally of substantial quality standards and a professional environment to be in.

Cons

Inability to retain key personnel and a mass exodus of talent in the recent period resulting in instability, while an unwillingless to replace staff who leave means that those left behind are stressed out with working longer hours. Compensation is subpar and employees often face nickel and diming as a result of global cost-cutting pressures.

As people are at the very core of this professional firm, to walk the talk ie cultivating and sustaining employee engagement, and demonstrating a sincere interest for the employee's well being would go a long way

Do as I say, not as I do

I worked at Towers Watson

Pros

Good training program, decent compensation

Cons

Leadership, personal growth, does not listen to input from employees. Management dictates one thing, while not doing so themselves.

Consider treating all employees with respect, not just the ones in the "clique". If people wanted to be in a clique, they would've stayed in high school. Listen to employees who voice their concerns!

Has Become A Disaster

Current Employee - Information Technology Manager  in  Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Information Technology Manager in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Towers Watson full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The pay is fine - and the ability to work remote is good. That's about all the nice things I can say.

Cons

Way too many hours, not enough people. Leadership is nonexistent, but there sure are a LOT of bullies who want to be in charge of vendors. Everything must go to vendors, no internal staff.

Very competitive atmosphere with a structure that is hierarchal - to their detriment with employee relations.

Former Employee - Consultant
    Former Employee - Consultant

I worked at Towers Watson full-time

Pros

A lot of opportunity to work with large organizations on a national scale. Offered flexibility. Nice office/work space. Mostly great people there to work with and for.

Cons

Boss in another practice and city… made it very hard during reviews (would have to rely solely on what someone said and had several times where it was not accurate, but my voice was not taken into account due to the seniority of the person talking). Also competitive.

Look at associates as people, not numbers… I won an international award as part of a team there the year several years. My name was announced as part of the awarded team just a couple weeks after let go… colleagues told me about that announcement and the irony...and we had a good laugh. I found the process of being laid off very stiff, especially for my hard work over the years (working many nights until the middle of the night to keep clients happy, etc.). No regard for personal situations that a person is in at the time of RIF.

can't believe this company was given Forbes rating for most admired company - what??!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Towers Watson full-time for less than a year

Pros

pay and benefits are actually alright, but everything else is so bad that it doesn't matter

Cons

Unfriendly environment. No training whatsoever at the start. 'On-boarding' process is non-existent. Strangest experience I've ever had at any job in my life, no one tells you anything and you're completely on your own, no one talks to each other in the office at all, very sterile and unfriendly, I really made a mistake taking this job.

train new employees a little bit, it would really help

Not good place to work

Former Employee - Actuarial Analyst  in  Gurgaon, Haryana (India)
    Former Employee - Actuarial Analyst in Gurgaon, Haryana (India)

I worked at Towers Watson full-time for less than a year

Pros

People are very helpful. They take out time to help you understand the work and make you grow in the company. Emphasis given to professional growth.

Cons

Some people have ego issues. They pile on work together and have unrealistic demands with timelines. Had a lot of trouble taking even half day leave. Also I am having a lot of trouble extracting my leaving documents.

Worked for Towers Watson? Contribute to the Community!