Town Shoes

Town Shoes Reviews

Updated Jul 19, 2014

Not yet rated.

Bruce Dinan

good place to work for someone just starting a management role

Senior Assistant Manager (Current Employee) Toronto, ON (Canada)

ProsAs a parent the hours are wonderful. Great work life balance

Conscrappy pay to start, don't know if it's gonna get better

Advice to Senior Managementpay better for retention

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Shoe Warehouse

Assistant Manager (Current Employee) Prince George, BC (Canada)

ProsFree shoes as we received shoenies for our efforts

ConsHorrible management from senior manager
    Have to work overtime and no pay
    Unequal treatment of employees
    Short staffed all the time, too many tasks to complete with only one person on sales floor
    Manager does not train and expects staff to learn on their own
    Threatened with write-ups if a task not trained to do properly is done incorrectly
    Ladder safety is not implemented

Advice to Senior ManagementTrain staff properly!!!

New to Town Shoes!

Management (Current Employee) Toronto, ON (Canada)

ProsI recently joined Town Shoes, and I can honestly say that the company has made great strides from where they were over a year ago. They have made many improvements right across the board including in their benefits, salaries, and corporate culture. The 'Love of Shoes' culture is seen throughout the company, there is a commitment to work life balance, and to the people that work here. My experience so far has been top notch! And it seriously a cool place to work...who doesn't love shoes?

ConsThere is still some opportunity for learnings and growth, but upper management is committed to making the right decisions for the people that work here.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

I would never recommend this company.

Store Manager (Current Employee)

Pros40% of shoes.
    Shoonie program is good-if you get any.

ConsThe pay is horrible. They expect so much for staff. Part-timers take home bigger paycheques then their managers. Managers get paid the worst! Salary is about $30,000.00. What a joke. DM's are even worse- call you on your day off- they do not respect you, they are rude and forceful! There is no room for growth. This company is only going to go downhill from here.

Advice to Senior ManagementWord to the wise- you will see a huge turnover in managers if you do not compensate correctly.

I loved working at Townshoes, however it all depends on the boss/management...

Assistant Manager (Former Employee)

ProsTownshoes has great discounts on shoes and products, plus you can earn shoenies! (dollars for shoes). They offer great/useful training especially for customer service, and if your awesome at selling, it shows off on your paycheque (you get commission if you work fulltime). I would recommend working here if you love shoes and dont mind touching gross feet sometimes!

ConsLike any company.. it really depends if you have a good boss/management team or not. I did for awhile but throughout there was always issues. I worked there for about 3 years so saw many come and leave. They like to use people that treat others unfairly.. for example if you didn't suck up to one of them enough they wouldn't like you. There was also a no talking rule between staff members even when the store was empty and it was during tasking. Wasn't a fan of that and dont think thats necessary at all..

Advice to Senior ManagementHave less drama.

Town Shoes is the worst company to work for. They are unethical and treat their employees like crap.

Head Office Employee (Former Employee) Toronto, ON (Canada)

ProsFree money towards shoes
    There is nothing else that is good about this company

ConsHorrible management
    They treat their employees as a means to an end

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your employees with respect

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

okay, nothing to brag about.

ProsAll of the staff I have worked with are totally awesome and we get along like family. The fashion environment is always fun, trying on all kinds of product and really developing an appreciation for quality and recognizing poor quality.

ConsManagement at head office level are awful. They never focus on the positive, always the negative. Being sure to let you know that you DIDNT make your goal. You get crap if your SPH is too high, but also if its too low. Nothing is EVER enough, no matter how terrific you do, there is always something that can be picked apart to remind you just how bad you are. The glass ceiling idea of beating sales every day, week, month are totally ridiculous. Obviously it is a goal to work towards, but they come down on you every time you miss it. Payroll is a mess. There are constantly issues and screw-ups.

Advice to Senior ManagementSHOW A LITTLE APPRECIATION TO YOUR EMPLOYEES! Take a look at the employees you say you really value and appreciate, and put your money where your mouth is! Working in a constant environment of negativity and unreasonable pressure does not produce a happy employee. Try putting a little more focus on the people who are out there every day making your company $$$$, and show them you appreciate them and let them hear it. We all know the customer needs to be delighted, but so do your employees!

Upper management has no integrity, unorganized, and treats its employees as inferiors to its clients.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Vancouver, BC (Canada)

Pros-First to preview new shoes and handbags of each season
    -Some employee incentives (shoonies)
    -Excellent coworkers (we were a great team)
    -Great training methods on how to sell

Cons-Anyone who achieved any kind of responsibility in the store could see the company values clients way above employees
    -I worked full time, signed up for benefits, never saw it over 5 months of chasing.
    -Incentives and rewards for good performance are a slap to the face but are treated as 'Good job!! You should be happy we gave you anything at all!"
    -Paycheck is usually short. I once was overpaid and that money was removed by next check (HR does work!)

Advice to Senior Management- I understand this is a business and money is to be made-- but if you consistently chase off good employees, you'll have nothing left.
    -Fix Payroll
    -Stop making promises you had never any intention of keeping

They do not do as they preach! World Class Service ? Not to the associates!!

Store Manager (Current Employee) Calgary, AB (Canada)

ProsIf you are desperate it is a good job. Free shoes...right ..for the company to give a shoonie out is sometimes pathetic! Try actually a pat on the back not being told to shut up!

ConsLack of care from head office for store personal
    The good leaders quit or get terminated as they cannot fit in this cut throat company
    Terrible life / work balance for all management

Advice to Senior ManagementStop letting the good people walk out the door!

Loss Of Words

Management (Former Employee) Toronto, ON (Canada)

ProsAround current fashion trends
    Shoenie incentives

ConsMy first pay was several weeks delayed I had to proactively call payroll and got a million and one excuses as to why I was late getting paid. My superior also stated not to worry because there were over 100 pay discreptancies and I was not the only one (very comforting).

Major pay delays, and when you did get paid 80 percent of the time it was not correct. The company generally likes to blame it on management inputting payroll!! I was lucky to have 3 different people input my pay ... and still not correct.

Compensation package promise was incorrect. Was told had benefits filled out forms but nothing came abouts. Hence in the end I had no benefits.

Communication breakdown from senior staff and executives. Mixed messages constantly being sent. Told to do one thing then hours later (generally after 6 when majority of staff has left) message changes.

Long hours, heavy lifting, no mentorship or encouragement to advance within the company.

Not proper training. The first 6 weeks I was with the company I had no access to their systems which is ridiculous.

and I can go on.....

Advice to Senior ManagementGet organized, and enforce accountability.
    Also properly staff. It is unbelievable that there is one HR Rep and One Payroll Rep for over 500 employees.
    Also when one does contact payroll, a prompt response is necessary. Not after a week.
    It is against the labour code to delay pay and not communicate.

Worked for Town Shoes? Contribute to the Community!