Town Shoes

Updated November 25, 2014
2.0

Bruce Dinan

disappointing management

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Town Shoes part-time

Pros

town shoes offers a great discount and coworkers are very friendly

Cons

lack of leadership, communication, and presence in management team

get training

Growing

Current Employee - District Manager in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - District Manager in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Town Shoes full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great culture, outlook is encouraging, great partnerships with leaders at home office

Cons

None that I can think of

keep up the great work, you're on the right track!

Nov 3, 2014HR Manager

thanks so much for you're feedback! We're happy to see you're as excited about the direction of our organization as we are!

Top leadership changes and corporate direction from top line to bottom line have made Town a shaky place to be.

I worked at Town Shoes full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

talented senior merchants, amazing retail real-estate, free shoes, nice merchandise discount program

Cons

Sold to american chain DSW, high turn over, changes to assortment and deliveries have had a negative impact on stores.

Nov 3, 2014HR Manager

Thank you for your feedback as we are continuously looking at ways to improve and ensure that our Associates are engaged and excited to work for us.

Wish there was managerial accountability

Current Employee - Allocator in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Allocator in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Town Shoes full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great people, good incentives, strong HR team.

Cons

Leadership from in my area was lacking, no opportunity for growth or career training. worked 50 + hours a week for 3 months, no acknowledgement given.

Servant leadership should be forced upon management not suggested. when consistently talked down to and made to feel insignificant an associate has no choice but to move on.

Oct 21, 2014HR Manager

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us and I'm sorry that you feel this way!
    I noticed that you are a current Associate. I would encourage you to speak with our HR team so that we can help you
    ... More

Worst place to work, never acknowledge hard work unless you're high up, horrible pay, no room for growth

Former Employee - Allocator in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Allocator in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at Town Shoes full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Employee discount - 40%, benefits are really good

Cons

I worked for town shoes for over 5 years. the first 3 years the only thing i have to complain about is store level management. my store manager and associate manager were the most disrespectful and unpleasant people i have ever worked with. they were constantly condescending not only myself but other employees. when i moved into the office at first i loved it, everyone was super friendly but the pay was still horrible.
    after a few years in the office you start to get fed up... put in long hours and hard work for absolutely zero recognition. the pay is HORRIBLE. $35000 for an allocator - most companies pay significantly more.
    my boss was one of the biggest reason myself and fellow allocators could not move up in the company. very selfish and didn't want to lose any strong allocators on their team.
    THERE IS ZERO ROOM TO GROW - if you go there chances are you will sit in the same position for years. But further more the pay is horrible and there is no room for negotiation.

tried approaching HR on the matters above on several occasions and they didn't help out at all. quit frankly it seemed like they didn't care at all either.

need to get a proper training program. you can't expect people to always be able to drop their busy schedules to take 3 weeks to train someone without a heads up. learn about your employees, not only the people who want to move up but also the people who are high up. there's a few with extremely poor work ethic and very unprofessional.
    when you say you are 'invested' in your employees and there is room to grow then you should follow through. the turn over there is so incredibly high because everyone can see how uninvested you are in the people that work hard for your company.

The Downward Spiral (is out of control)

Current Employee - Intern in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Intern in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Town Shoes as an intern (more than 10 years)

Pros

New management, new outlook, new technology, head office is redesigned and upgraded across the board!!!

Cons

They seem to be firing everyone in sight unless they quit first.

Advice to (new) management: this company was purchased by your masters because it made a profit every single year it was in business until the year you were hired to run it. Heads are now rolling and it may be your head next. The Simpson family never fired a single employee in 40 years and still managed to turn out profits in the worst economic disaster zones. One slow period and you guys are sucking your thumbs. Try recruiting just a few people with some zip. The success of Town Shoes was built on character and backbone not complacency, toxic environment and venomous back stabbing.

Oct 21, 2014HR Manager

Thank you for sharing your thoughts with us.
    I'm glad to see that you are just as excited about the new outlook, new technology and various upgrades going on across our Organization as we are! As
    ... More

Don't even think to work here !

Current Employee - Head Office Former Employee
    Current Employee - Head Office Former Employee

I have been working at Town Shoes full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Shoenies, benefits are okay, not bad not very good.

Cons

MANAGEMENT, MANAGEMENT, MANAGEMENT.

Hiring rude people on the management position, letting good people to go or firing them for no reason.

All is starting from the top. So Mr Bruce, educate yourself, and after that educate your management team !
    Town Shoes was going very well before you got the CEO position. My question is, you also closed Zellers, so I think you are at Town Shoes to close it too.
    Treat your employees as your best assets. How many people left or have been letting go from the time you Bruce Dinan joined the organization? You did bring Zellers and Cara people in, without even posted the jobs, without even giving the opportunity to the employees to apply for the positions, and I can go on and on.
    With how many former employees did you speak before you fired them?

Oct 21, 2014HR Manager

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with us. I'm sorry that you feel this way and wish you would have approached your leader and/or HR with these concerns so that we could have ... More

Save yourself, do not work here!

Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at Town Shoes part-time (more than an year)

Pros

40% discount.
    Shoenie program (money that goes towards shoes)
    Clean and fashionable environment.
    Commission.

Cons

Town Shoes truly expects too much from its employees, especially part-timers, who 90% consist of university and high school students. We are only being paid minimum wage and are expected to do way more than our pay grade.

Huge emphasis on "connecting" with clients - must get more than one connecting story per shift, write it up and send it to head office. Managers will get angry if you don't connect and will leave passive aggressive messages in the stock room.

Every day before your shift you must be checked in by your MOD. You have to state how many connecting stories you're going to get (always more than one) and explain how exactly you're going to connect with the clients. You also have to set a goal for the day (e.g. 'i'm going to sell x amount of handbags','i'm going to sell this particular brand of shoe', etc). They make you ask the clients a hundred questions to build this make-believe connection and they don't understand how invasive it is. Many clients are simply not in the mood to speak to you at length, understandably.

IF YOU DO connect with a client, and you do not sell anything, they no longer care about your connecting story and will not have you write it up!

You also have to check in with the MOD in the middle of your shift and follow up on your goal for the day. If you achieve it, you have to set a new goal. If not, they scold you.

On top of that, you have to write up monthly goals!

The reason all of this is very frustrating is because the DM then yells at you for not having enough sales - the reason we don't is because we cannot focus on selling!

They recently set up cameras in the store and will randomly watch people during working hours. If you do something they are not satisfied with you will be called up and disciplined.

The president of the company also makes random visits to stores to check on you. They can't trust you to do anything.

Managers are often bitter about their low salary and take this out on their part timers.

Overall: extremely high and unreasonable expectations, terrible shifts and times, greedy and stuck up clientele, annoying upper management, invasive in-store management.

Stop blaming the sales associates for low sales. We can't force people into the store. If it is empty, it's your issue regarding marketing, not ours.
    Stop constantly changing the way we do things. We all know you guys don't care about connecting with clients - you want the money, plain and simple, so stop forcing it on us. (again, if we DO connect but DON'T sell, management will tell us not to write up the connecting story)
    There's a reason no part timer stays here past the one year mark.

Horrible Employee Care Company...

Former Employee - Store Manager in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at Town Shoes full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Discounts on shoes, associates I worked with.

Cons

DM was rude, unsupportive, not positive, and overall the worst I have ever had in my life. Biggest mistake of my life to join the company.

For a company that says they value the associates so much they certainly do not practice what they preach.

Sep 12, 2014HR Manager

We're really sorry to hear that you did not have a positive experience working for our Organization. In an effort to ensure that other Associates do not feel this way I would love to connect and ... More

Don't Bother. Town Shoes doesn't care half as much for their employees as they do for their Clientele.

I have been working at Town Shoes part-time

Pros

40% Discount (Even on sale/marked down items)--> AT ALL TOWN SHOES LIMITED STORES
    Shoenies Rewards (dollars off your purchase, based on performance). Don't be fooled, if you do a 'special order' for a client (ordering pair(s) of shoes for clients from other stores), and they end off not purchasing it when it arrives, you will lose the shoenies you worked hard for.....
    Professional Environment (All Black, must be in current season shoes, little bit of makeup is promoted and no chipped nail polish).
    Commission (..If you make it....)

Cons

Throughout the months, I have noticed a drastic change in this company versus how it first was when I had first became an employee. Let's track it back to Fall 2013, when they had asked us to focus on exceptional customer service, outstanding knowledge of our products, and making sure we made our daily goal (Both as a goal for the, so called 'team' and our own goals). The reason why I don't believe in this so called 'team' is that we work individually; no other sales associate will help you out of their own free will and desire, because they simply don't get anything out of it. You could be ending your day with over the required amount of sales for commission, while your fellow co-worker was not successful, and no one would care because we, yes we, technically made our goal for today.

The MOD (Manager On Duty), would only check us in once before our shift, telling us our team's goal and our own goal. As you head on to the floor, each hour that ticks by, a tender report must be printed off by your MOD. This tender report would sum-up the total amount of sales so far into the day, and how much each individual sales associate made so far. But when Head Office strived for a whole new approach on building 'stronger bonds' with the clients, by demanding that sales associates now must have more than one connecting story per shift! As this method was installed into our company, tender reports were no longer posted in the back to help us keep track of our sales- they simply don't care if you make commission and then scold you later for not making your goal.

In June 2014, Town Shoes required ALL employees (no matter what ranking of the company), to complete this mandatory, unpaid E-Learning Module (Which had numerous courses, ranging from 5min-45min). They even posted up how long each course would take, so why didn't we get paid for completing the whole module when they were aware of how long it would take? But okay, lets estimate that the module (if paid), would've been roughly 2-3hours of work= 22-33 bucks. But honestly, that much money doesn't break me or make me for that month. What I found severely annoying, and displays a perfect example of their careless towards their employees, is that fact that throughout the whole, dreadful E-Learning Module, Town Shoes NEVER once emphasized the RIGHTS OF AN EMPLOYEE. If a client disrespects you, your Manager doesn't care about it and never trained you on how to handle the situation- they simply brush it off. How I look at it, those who quit or no longer work with Town Shoes, will once again, be a normal client. So why does Town Shoes treat their clients with so much respect and rights, but not equal to their employees?

On top of all this, Town Shoes is a cheap company that tries desperately to save every hour. I cannot count how many times my shifts were cut down 2 hours or even 3 hours. This is honestly ridiculous, especially since most of the part-timers that work with me have to bus, and it takes half an hour to get there and half an hour back..... which is not worth it for a measly 3 or 4 hour shift.

Recently a brand new, revolutionized POS system was installed at some Town Shoes locations throughout all of Canada. We, employees (Managers, Assistant Managers, FT/PT) were under the impression that our Head Office had already figured out the glitches and problems with the new system... We were wrong. It turned out that the systems that they had been advertising to the participating Town Shoes locations, were not thought out and tested before officially installing. For the first couple of weeks, they was issues regarding our Debit/Credit Machines and other errors that could have been easily avoided with effort put in by Head Office to test.

To Sum Up: Not an actual team effort, ridiculous 'Connecting Stories' that moves our attention away from commission, Unpaid E-Learning Module and NO EMPHASIS ON EMPLOYEE RIGHTS, Cheap company that constants continues to cut down hours, and installing a new POS system without testing- clearly shows their lack of responsibility and effort for minimizing glitches.

Market Town Shoes better. Before I worked here, I had never heard of this place.
    WHY THE 60 DAY RETURN POLICY? DO CLIENTS REALLY NEED 2 MONTHS TO THINK ABOUT A PAIR OF SHOES? RIDICULOUS. THIS IS WHY WE GET BACK A LOT OF WORN SHOES.. GOOD JOB TRYING TO RESELL THAT.
    Don't get angry if a store does not succeed. Demographics is very important in business, and some deserted places work hard to make their goals, but it can't be helped if there just isn't enough shoppers in the mall. Contact the Mall for better marketing as well if you see a pattern.
    Do not be cheap with your hours. Some managers make 40,000 per year which is ridiculous if they are rising a family. Pay employees properly and you will see better performance and more recommendations from employees to friends about working with Town Shoes.
    INTRODUCE EMPLOYEE RIGHTS. We SHOULD have the right to refuse giving service to clients that are rude, verbally abusive or disrespectful.

Town Shoes Photos