Town Sports International Holdings

Town Sports International Holdings Reviews

Updated Jul 7, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Town Sports International Holdings CEO, President, and Director Robert J. Giardina

Robert J. Giardina

Pros:
  • "free gym membership, great people to work with at club level"
    in 31 reviews
  • "Free gym membership and that's it- kids could be fun but not set up well for camp so it was more like a babysitting service"
    in 30 reviews
Cons:
  • "no work/life balance you are constantly on call from 5am till 11pm and forget about holidays"
    in 10 reviews
  • "Absolutely no work life balance"
    in 5 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Excellent Environment

Human Resources (Current Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsTeam members in the corporate office are very willing to partner with each other to foster creativity, implement and see a project through. People truly are living the mission statement of the company and care about fitness and improving lives through exercise.

ConsThere is a process for everything which can take time. Ultimately, it's to make sure that it will be truly beneficial to the company as a whole.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to listen to team members in the field and lower level staff when moving in new directions.

Fitness Manager in charge of fitness sales and personal trainers.

Fitness Manager (Former Employee)

ProsFree gym membership.
    Progress quickly due to extremely fast turnover.
    In club hourly staff typically are good people to work with.

ConsVery top heavy company.
    No communication.
    Company is moving away form their mission statement "Improving lives through exercise" and only cares about the bottom line.
    All management positions have become glorified sales positions.
    No power is given to in club management.
    Upper management has continued to fail for years but they continue to have jobs.
    Turnover is extremely high in club management positions (6 General Managers in 1 club in less than 1 1/2 years)

Advice to Senior ManagementYou need to consider giving the in club management the ability to properly manage the facility they are held accountable for. In a health and fitness business you need to care about the members health and fitness and not how much money you can get out of them, people will pay anything if you care for them properly.

Great learning experience, poor work environment.

Membership Consultant (Former Employee)
    East Brunswick, NJ

Pros-Best pay in Industry
    -Free Gym Membership
    -Largest Fitness franchise on the east coast
    -If your new to sales, its a great vehicle to learn new skills and develop a network.

Cons-Large rate of turnover
    -Quotas get higher and higher without regard of market, demand and competition
    -BD's and Gm's will micromanage you to every penny
    -No reimbursement for prospecting or driving activities
    -2-4 closeouts in a month, 9 am- 9 pm shifts
    -Crappy Base pay, commissions will make up more than half of your paycheck.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on creating POSITIVE employee engagement, and allow your employees to have a life outside of work. Also management should maybe jump on a treadmill or lift weights, I mean you do work at a gym, right? Shouldn't we practice what we preach, especially as a leader?

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

If you honestly care about your career don't bother with this company because they don't care about you.

Fitness Service Manager (Former Employee)
    Springfield, NJ

ProsAs the FM, you get to develop your team and help them grow. You control the hiring of the training staff.

ConsExhausting hours. If you care about working as a team, you need to move on...NOW! Members have precedence over employees and management. If you think you will get help from the Fitness Director or Business Director you can forget that....you're on your own! Constant pressure, paperwork and micromanagement. The FM concentration is on sales, and how to make your trainers better "Selling Machines" so you can hit your numbers. If you honestly care about people and not the numbers so much.....don't bother! The directors will use the "Overcoming of Objectives" against you as you use against members to make the sale. If you don't hit your numbers you will be subjected to a psychological game.

Advice to Senior ManagementOut with the old! Start training new staff! If the FM is not getting cooperation from any staff regardless of their length of employ, they should have the ability to discipline and not have to go running for help. LISTEN, you need to listen to what needs to be done in each individual club, not all clubs are the same. Just because it's working in one or fifty others it doesn't mean the same model will work in that demographic.

Mission Statement Does Not Match Mission Given to Employees

Membership Consultant (Former Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsI do not have one positive thing to say about this company and the position of Membership Consultant.

ConsThe Mission Statement says that the company wants its employees to have balance between work and personal life, but there is no time for any sort of personal life with the hours expected from Membership Consultants. The hours are brutal and salary is based on a 40 hour weeek, but you are expected to work 50. There is no internet access for sales team in the company, but research into prospective companies is expected. This is a salary postion, but it is extremely difficult to make comissions.

Advice to Senior ManagementCreate a training program that actually works. Give tools to your sales team so they can succeed. Carefully review and monitor the training facilitators. My training was a complete joke and I was absolutely unprepared to fufill the job requirements. Also, don't lie to prospective staff about the required work hours. I would never have taken the job if I was told the truth.

Learning environment

Regional Director (Former Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsOpportunity to grow from a ground level employee into an area Director.

ConsLow salaries for the amount of work that is required.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore recognition for hard workers

IT

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsFree Membership - for the right person in sales money can be made

Conssince going public less employee oriented

Management is terrible. Look elsewhere

Camp Counselor (Former Employee)
    Lexington, MA

ProsFree gym membership is nice. Majority of the employees are very friendly. HR needs to do a much better recruiting people who are capable of performing their jobs.

ConsManagement has no idea what they are doing. Went in to work one day to cover somebody's shift. Management claims they have no recollection or documentation of me coming in, so I never got paid. Lesson learned about this company

Advice to Senior ManagementDo a better job of taking care of your employees

Starter job or resume builder position

General Manager (Former Employee)
    Boston, MA

ProsFree gym membership, and the people you work and interact with on a daily basis are the best aspects of working in any of the clubs.

ConsThere is very little investment in the people, no development and really no regard whatsoever of trying to train or keep talented individuals.

Advice to Senior ManagementCare about your people not just the bottom line. If you put more investment into your team they will work harder for you. There are so many people that are employed at the many clubs in various cities you could develop some very high level teams if you dedicated some time and energy in them.

don't plan on having a life

Customer Service Manager (Former Employee)

Prosyou get to meet great members and work with great people

Conscorporate is awful. everyone is expendable. no work/life balance you are constantly on call from 5am till 11pm and forget about holidays

Worked for Town Sports International Holdings? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Town Sports International Holdings reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Town Sports International Holdings CEO Robert J. Giardina. All 115 reviews posted anonymously by Town Sports International Holdings employees.