Town Sports International Holdings

Town Sports International Holdings Reviews

Updated Apr 16, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Town Sports International Holdings CEO, President, and Director Robert J. Giardina

Robert J. Giardina

Pros:
  • "free gym membership, flexible schedules, discounted personal training"
    in 29 reviews
  • "free gym membership, great people to work with at club level"
    in 28 reviews
Cons:
  • "After being tenured for over five years, this company is great for a recent college grad with no interest in a work/life balance"
    in 7 reviews
  • "Very high turnover of managers because they are not respected"
    in 7 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Absolutely no regard for employees or customers...horrendous leadership & culture!

I have been working at Town Sports International Holdings full-time for more than a year

ProsSales driven organization
Large network of clubs

ConsNo emphasis on customer service
No emphasis on employee needs, development or how to better serve members
No sincere interest in recognizing employees for outstanding performance.
Leadership only cares about themselves and lining their pockets

Advice to Senior ManagementChange leadership to reflect the needs a service organization

Zero work/life balance-working all the time

General Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Town Sports International Holdings full-time for more than 5 years

ProsFree membership, exposed to a healthy lifestyle, make friends for life

ConsAfter being tenured for over five years, this company is great for a recent college grad with no interest in a work/life balance. Youre forced to work holidays, 12-hour days 3x a month with no overtime and compromised to make unethical decisions because of overwhelming amount of sales pressure. There is minimal room for growth---senior management make "promises" that you will move up as long as you work extra hours, yet the promotions are far and few between. You are compensated fairly, with bonuses. However, if you dont keep up with your bonus, the company will try to withhold it. This is not a company you want to work for if youre married and or have kids--you will never see them. Over 5 years, ive seen many relationships and families fall apart because of the culture and demands of this company.

Advice to Senior ManagementI honestly think its too late and too big of a change is needed to change the culture of the company.

Horrible, this company deserves to fold

Assistant General Manager (Former Employee)
New York, NY

I worked at Town Sports International Holdings full-time for more than 8 years

ProsWhen I first started in this company 8 years ago, this was a fun and wonderful place to work. 3 years ago this all changed they went from being customer service oriented to strictly sales and lost all focus on their customer and employees.

ConsThis company is extremely abusive, they make you work overtime with no pay, refuse to pay out your bonus if you are no longer in role, NEVER do they give positive feedback it is always NEGATIVE....They are moraly corrupt with no integrity. Upper management is intellectually dishonest--perfect example the 4 stars you see in the reviews are no doubt written from current business drivers and in NO way is this company a rewarding place to work...IT IS NEVER NEVER enough!!! They do not care about their employees at all. They lost 13,000 members in the 2013 fiscal year, hmmm I wonder why? Hang it up NYSC you lost your shine.

Advice to Senior Managementgo back to school and learn how to really manage and build a team ...one day you will be treated the way you have treated your employees, then you will know how it feels.

Stay away.

Worked Here (Former Employee)
Rego Park, NY

I worked at Town Sports International Holdings full-time for less than a year

ProsPotential for money (despite never actually being able to achieve it) and free gym membership.

ConsNot a genuine place to excel, pushy sales position, demand to perform despite not given the genuine opportunity to perform (ie: you must hit this quota, despite it being impossible here), low pay for cleaning crew and the place is falling apart, members are arguably the rudest and most demanding, general manager is demeaning, a bully, and incompetent with anything except olympic lifting (seriously, watch him try to use a computer). All together very little opportunity here, don't bother unless you are desperate, and be prepared to leave very quickly.

Advice to Senior ManagementReel in the manager or fire him. The several employees (managers) before, cheated the system, this one doesn't cheat but treats people very poorly. Stop setting unrealistic goals for your sales associates. This is a residential area with little turnover and a people who are not interested. Set up better delivery times for towels to prevent customer complaints where the front people get yelled at and get a male trainer to help close to prevent the front desk people from being intimidated by members.

Employees don't matter and are expendable.

I have been working at Town Sports International Holdings

ProsNone that I can think of. The free gym membership doesn't count because working out on your 10 hour shift is frowned upon. Last thing I want to do is spend another hour in this hell hole.

ConsI could write a 400 page novel on cons but lets just say this is not a company you ever want to work for. Any new hires from the real world leave pretty quick. Turnover with GMs are astounding. No one wants to work for these people. The mandatory work schedule for GMs is illegal. HR is scared of the SBD's so they just go along. A real case study on why old leadership protecting their old friends and old colleagues affects the stock price with NO accountability. Executive committee are you paying attention or just pushing for more dividends?

Advice to Senior ManagementClean house with your SBD's and their BD minions. The culture they have created is toxic to your stock

No Communication, No Support, No Leadership

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Town Sports International Holdings

ProsFree membership, some fellow employees are really great, decent benefits and paid time off, clubs offer lots of different amenities.

ConsAbsolutely no communication from Corporate. No support from senior management to club management. Club managers are forced to lose sight of what we know really matters, which is servicing our members, because we are on 5 conference calls a day getting verbally beat up. No one in Corporate has any idea how the clubs truly run, so it's really hard to be told how to do your job by people who literally can't do your job. HR is shady. Payroll is completely unaccountable. The entire company and atmosphere that comes with it has gotten dramatically worse in the past few years. Very high turnover of managers because they are not respected. It's a shame that they work 10 hours a day and get no support or leadership in return.

Advice to Senior ManagementTerry Kew, former COO, leaving was the worst thing that has ever happened to this company. He was the only one who had any idea how to turn this business around. Everyone left are slave drivers who couldn't possibly care less about the employees. It's pitiful.

Overworked, underpaid, no recognition for work well done, only punitive negative feedback for everything you do

General Manager (Former Employee)
New York, NY

I worked at Town Sports International Holdings full-time for more than a year

ProsSome of the Sales Directors and Operations Directors are really nice and helpful, too bad they are "programmed" to micro manage and not let the GM's make their own decisions

ConsWhere to start, compensation does not align with workload, Managers are "robots" not able to make decisions, but are so incredibly micromanaged it is impossible for a GM to grow and develop. Micromanagement is the name of the game at TSI, as well, as unethical sales practices that are allowed if you meet your quota, I have had so many members try to get their refunds with justification, and this company is so sketchy, they will charge someones credit card until the member is at the brink of bankruptcy ( I have spoken to members who have been in this situation)

Terrible management

Camp Counselor (Current Employee)

I have been working at Town Sports International Holdings full-time

ProsFree gym membership and that's it- kids could be fun but not set up well for camp so it was more like a babysitting service

ConsTerrible management- no overtime- never got a raise after 4 years and in fact lost 25 cents an hour

Advice to Senior ManagementCare about your employees

Not a good place to work as a trainer

I have been working at Town Sports International Holdings

ProsYou make your own schedule and hours

ConsA personal trainer with an education and experience has no more value to this company then a person taking a weekend course and becoming a "personal trainer". There is more attention spent on bringing in new members then there is retaining members. A personal trainer retains members. A personal trainer receives no vacation pay and gets paid less then any other training revenue split that I have seen.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf personal training is an important revenue stream then pay your trainers fairly and offer them the same benefits as your other full time employees.

Great at first, dreadful later.

Front Desk Associate (Current Employee)
Boston, MA

I have been working at Town Sports International Holdings part-time for more than a year

ProsFree membership, great members. There's really no other pro.

ConsManagement has a high turnover, they're always pressuring you/yelling at you for something ridiculous. They pay way too little for all that we do, and as front desk we are treated lower than dirt. One of the most irritating things management does is when I call to redirect a call which is meant for them, they in short tell me they don't feel like taking it, then I'm left to tell the angry member a lie to save them. Also, membership consultants and all of management go out an average 6 times a day for "lunch". I'm not even allowed to use the restroom all shift. Management will also suck up to corporate and seem like the best to get promoted, when in reality, we cover up how awful they are by not complaining. Either way, corporate would take their side.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop pretending to be there for us, and START DOING YOUR JOB and stop complaining about it! Don't expect us to do your dirty work. Respect is also earned.

Worked for Town Sports International Holdings? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Town Sports International Holdings reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Town Sports International Holdings CEO Robert J. Giardina. All 99 reviews posted anonymously by Town Sports International Holdings employees.