Town Sports International Holdings

Town Sports International Holdings Reviews

Updated December 14, 2014
Updated December 14, 2014
2.1

Town Sports International Holdings CEO, President, and Director Robert J. Giardina
Robert J. Giardina

Pros
  • friendly employees, free gym membership, everyone works together as a team (in 48 reviews)

• how bad is it when the only Pro consistently is a free gym membership in every posting (in 45 reviews)

Cons
  • The hours aren't the most beneficial is looking for a good work-life balance (in 12 reviews)

• Very high turnover of managers because they are not respected (in 12 reviews)

More Highlights

Great business model, mediocre execution.

I have been working at Town Sports International Holdings

Pros

Very meritocratic. If you come in and blow the doors off... You can advance very quickly. Leadership is extremely supportive and driven... Everyone is there to improve lives and make a lot of money doing it.

Cons

Long hours... But you should know that if you work in this industry. Some fundamental things are off. Staffing is difficult when you can only offer minimum wage. Supply line issues (can't get shirts to sell in the pro shop. High turnover. Older facilities. These things hurt competitiveness, but overcoming them can also make you stand out among your peers in a big way.

Invest more in facilities and talent... Or you'll keep losing talent and members to newer clubs.

Company not interested in development of employees........Interview somewhere else

Former Employee - General Manager in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - General Manager in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Town Sports International Holdings full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Besides the obvious free gym membership. The people you meet while working for Town Sports mainly the members are great. For the most part your co-workers are good too.

Cons

The moral is terrible. Senior management has no clue whats really going on inside the clubs. Their not interested in developing their general managers nor are they forgiving. the GM's are required to wear every hat within the club and still have the responsibility of pushing the sales team to goal every month with minimum help. The company has a very negative reputation not only with staff but with the members as well. They change membership dues every other month which always effect the long standing members. They have no real care for anyone except the board members.

Work inside the club for more than a 1 hour visit and then let me know how it works out.

Poor management

Former Employee - Assistant General Manager
    Former Employee - Assistant General Manager

I worked at Town Sports International Holdings full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Free gym membership, great co-workers

Cons

Company is moving backwards, Difficult work environment, long hours

Think about putting the employees and members first and business will thrive. Also, stop hating lunkhead managers and expecting them to be good at running a business.

not a good experience

Former Employee - CSM in New York, NY
    Former Employee - CSM in New York, NY

I worked at Town Sports International Holdings full-time (more than an year)

Pros

the free gym membership is helpful

Cons

no work life balance, aggressive sales practices,

good first position

Underwhelming experience being a part of TSI

Former Employee - Master Trainer in Jersey City, NJ
    Former Employee - Master Trainer in Jersey City, NJ

I worked at Town Sports International Holdings full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Honestly, there were no pros in my opinions.

Cons

The leadership that I experienced was completely incompetent and non-motivational. The turnover at my particular location in leadership was horrendous; in my year and half with TSI, I experienced three different general managers and 4 fitness managers. There was a complete lack of professionalism in the office environment throughout. I felt that the leaders did not create an environment that was conducive to staff growth and improvement. The technological systems in place then allowed for a great amount of "cheating" to be done when it came to booking client sessions for trainers; there were several occasions where one particular trainer at my home location would steal client sessions from other trainers and get paid for them. Despite being aware of this situation, the fitness manager at the time allowed it to continue without any reprimand. The cleanliness of the facility was never up to par and was a constant complaint from our patrons. Aside from the issues found at my particular home gym location, I noticed the same leadership and personnel issues at most of the TSI locations that I visited to teach and/or train.

It is all about sales

I worked at Town Sports International Holdings

Pros

If you have a passion for the fitness industry, this is s good place to start as the company tries to provide a great customer service. Check on training programs, they used to have a good system in place.

Cons

High turnover rate of employees, starting with the management. Expectations are high with a low pay rate.

Give better pay rate and benefits to keep good employees.

Great Team, Average Management

Former Employee - Welcome Team in Franklin, MA
    Former Employee - Welcome Team in Franklin, MA

I worked at Town Sports International Holdings part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

friendly employees, free gym membership, everyone works together as a team

Cons

Poor management. Good GMs are promoted quickly. Bad GMs are not and therefor spend a lot more time doing mediocre work until they either quite or do something bad enough to get fired.

Better hiring process. Less reliance on online questionnaire.

A struggling behemoth in a sea of fishes

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Town Sports International Holdings full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Compensation and benefits were good

Cons

It's a large company that tries to straddle the different health club markets and is being challenged heartily by the multitude of small competitors and a few top competitors. The company lacks a supportive culture for the employees and working there is not enjoyable.

You need to restructure into a leaner more competitive player and value your employees more.

Talk the talk but never walk the walk

Former Employee - General Manager in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - General Manager in Boston, MA

I worked at Town Sports International Holdings full-time

Pros

Working with the members and staff of fitness professionals is the most rewarding aspect of the company and job. Fitness is a fun and inspiring industry.

Cons

Company claims they care for their members and staff but do not come close to backing that up. They charge members where ever possible, rarely improve the clubs that have been open for decades and put constant pressure on employees for sales results and hours worked.

Listen to the feedback from your employees, and implement good ideas. These are the people working the front lines with your members from the day they join the club. They know what is best for their clubs. Trust in those your hire.

RUN for your life!!!

Former Employee - General Manager
    Former Employee - General Manager

I worked at Town Sports International Holdings full-time

Pros

Free Gym membership.
    That's it.

Cons

Don't care about the members or employees.
    Zero support or development.
    Lack of culture
    Mediocre benefits

This is to the COO or board members: You want to see change? Replace every single person of the upper management team (anyone from Business Directors and above including senior HR)

Poor management, support and development.
    Chronic negligence, quick to point the finger downwards. No accountability.

There is a reason the company lost close to 100 managers in 2013 alone.
    I'll give you a hint it's not the people you are hiring that are the problem. Is the existing culture.