Town Sports International Holdings

Town Sports International Holdings Reviews

Updated November 26, 2014
Updated November 26, 2014
2.1

Town Sports International Holdings CEO, President, and Director Robert J. Giardina
Robert J. Giardina

Pros
  • friendly employees, free gym membership, everyone works together as a team (in 48 reviews)

• how bad is it when the only Pro consistently is a free gym membership in every posting (in 45 reviews)

Cons
  • The hours aren't the most beneficial is looking for a good work-life balance (in 12 reviews)

• Very high turnover of managers because they are not respected (in 12 reviews)

More Highlights

Mission Statement Does Not Match Mission Given to Employees

Former Employee - Membership Consultant in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Membership Consultant in New York, NY

I worked at Town Sports International Holdings full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I do not have one positive thing to say about this company and the position of Membership Consultant.

Cons

The Mission Statement says that the company wants its employees to have balance between work and personal life, but there is no time for any sort of personal life with the hours expected from Membership Consultants. The hours are brutal and salary is based on a 40 hour weeek, but you are expected to work 50. There is no internet access for sales team in the company, but research into prospective companies is expected. This is a salary postion, but it is extremely difficult to make comissions.

Create a training program that actually works. Give tools to your sales team so they can succeed. Carefully review and monitor the training facilitators. My training was a complete joke and I was absolutely unprepared to fufill the job requirements. Also, don't lie to prospective staff about the required work hours. I would never have taken the job if I was told the truth.

IT

I worked at Town Sports International Holdings

Pros

Free Membership - for the right person in sales money can be made

Cons

since going public less employee oriented

Learning environment

Former Employee - Regional Director in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Regional Director in New York, NY

I worked at Town Sports International Holdings full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Opportunity to grow from a ground level employee into an area Director.

Cons

Low salaries for the amount of work that is required.

More recognition for hard workers

Starter job or resume builder position

Former Employee - General Manager in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - General Manager in Boston, MA

I worked at Town Sports International Holdings full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Free gym membership, and the people you work and interact with on a daily basis are the best aspects of working in any of the clubs.

Cons

There is very little investment in the people, no development and really no regard whatsoever of trying to train or keep talented individuals.

Care about your people not just the bottom line. If you put more investment into your team they will work harder for you. There are so many people that are employed at the many clubs in various cities you could develop some very high level teams if you dedicated some time and energy in them.

More about the Sales then the training

Former Employee - Personal Trainer in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Personal Trainer in Boston, MA

I worked at Town Sports International Holdings full-time (less than an year)

Pros

free gym membership, flexible hours

Cons

focus on sales, support from management

It's getting worse! Ugh

Current Employee - Membership Consultant in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Membership Consultant in Boston, MA

I have been working at Town Sports International Holdings full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Free gym membership
    Great Co-Workers
    Fun members who you

Cons

There is no work life balance.
    The 'Open House' grew from once a month to now three! That's three 12 hours of sheduled days a month. ridiculous
    High turnover rate for managers. Not good.

My point goes straight to corporate. Quit with the crap. You overwork your employees and you reward bad behavior all the time. Makes it hard for anyone who works hard to want to try at all.

Management is terrible. Look elsewhere

Former Employee - Camp Counselor in Lexington, MA
    Former Employee - Camp Counselor in Lexington, MA

I worked at Town Sports International Holdings part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Free gym membership is nice. Majority of the employees are very friendly. HR needs to do a much better recruiting people who are capable of performing their jobs.

Cons

Management has no idea what they are doing. Went in to work one day to cover somebody's shift. Management claims they have no recollection or documentation of me coming in, so I never got paid. Lesson learned about this company

Do a better job of taking care of your employees

don't plan on having a life

Former Employee - Customer Service Manager
    Former Employee - Customer Service Manager

I worked at Town Sports International Holdings full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

you get to meet great members and work with great people

Cons

corporate is awful. everyone is expendable. no work/life balance you are constantly on call from 5am till 11pm and forget about holidays

Poor Management, Rude Clients, Unreasonable Expectations

Former Employee - Front Desk Associate in Radnor, PA
    Former Employee - Front Desk Associate in Radnor, PA

I worked at Town Sports International Holdings part-time (less than an year)

Pros

free gym membership, low stress

Cons

Unpleasant co-workers, rude and obnoxious clients, poorly maintained/cleaned facility, insufficient training, poor management or support.

Hire more managers to open in the mornings, get rid of ineffective staff members.

horrible, worst job ive ever had.

Former Employee - Front Desk in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Front Desk in Boston, MA

I worked at Town Sports International Holdings full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Free membership, some members are great.

Cons

AWFUL AWFUL managment. too much turn over. they expected too much out of the front desk employees and tried to make us do things out of our job description. (cleaning urinals?!) i only got paid $8 and to be quite frank that wasnt enough for the back sass-trash talking i had to deal with. managment goes out too much, coffee/food break every half hour. management told me to only call when its their BOSS and not customers. manager openly displayed her dislike towards me. never got my breaks. the list goes on. i dealt with all of this without complaining to HR. but the second i mentioned it, they found a general bs reason to fire me. i was with the company for 3 years.

Stop pinning your stress onto others, and actually follow your job description. be there for members and if a machine is broken get it fixed! you have to realize we get yelled at and take all the heat while you hide out in the back with your feet up eating. if youre going to make us do more, pay us more. also, stop pretending to be the best manager when the regionals or corporate comes along. dont make employees go along with your act either. heres a quote that sums everything up. "good leaders dont make others do things they wouldnt."