Town Sports International Holdings

Town Sports International Holdings Reviews

Updated January 19, 2015
Updated January 19, 2015
2.1

Town Sports International Holdings CEO, President, and Director Robert J. Giardina
Robert J. Giardina

Pros
  • friendly employees, free gym membership, everyone works together as a team (in 48 reviews)

• how bad is it when the only Pro consistently is a free gym membership in every posting (in 45 reviews)

Cons
  • The hours aren't the most beneficial is looking for a good work-life balance (in 12 reviews)

• Very high turnover of managers because they are not respected (in 12 reviews)

More Highlights

Great Team, Average Management

Former Employee - Welcome Team in Franklin, MA
    Former Employee - Welcome Team in Franklin, MA

I worked at Town Sports International Holdings part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

friendly employees, free gym membership, everyone works together as a team

Cons

Poor management. Good GMs are promoted quickly. Bad GMs are not and therefor spend a lot more time doing mediocre work until they either quite or do something bad enough to get fired.

Better hiring process. Less reliance on online questionnaire.

RUN for your life!!!

Former Employee - General Manager
    Former Employee - General Manager

I worked at Town Sports International Holdings full-time

Pros

Free Gym membership.
    That's it.

Cons

Don't care about the members or employees.
    Zero support or development.
    Lack of culture
    Mediocre benefits

This is to the COO or board members: You want to see change? Replace every single person of the upper management team (anyone from Business Directors and above including senior HR)

Poor management, support and development.
    Chronic negligence, quick to point the finger downwards. No accountability.

There is a reason the company lost close to 100 managers in 2013 alone.
    I'll give you a hint it's not the people you are hiring that are the problem. Is the existing culture.

Don't work here.

I have been working at Town Sports International Holdings

Pros

If your unethical you will do well.

Cons

The unethical employees are the ones who do well and everyone else loses out. The turnover rate is so high because they don't take care of their ethical employees.

Learn how to care for your employees instead of sales, maybe your sales would be higher if you did.

Horrible upper management

Current Employee - Customer Service Manager
    Current Employee - Customer Service Manager

I have been working at Town Sports International Holdings full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

They recognize talent and promote from within

Cons

They suck all of the life out of you and treat you like you don't matter. They make club management work 50 hours or more a wk and only pay you for 40 because of a loop hole in the system. Upper management is a joke. They're just a bunch of lewd frat guys who flirt with the girls and lack any real management skills.

How about you put more time into having the right people in the company and you won't have so many members cancelling and joining dirty gyms? I was let go for such a BS reason, to keep the GM from being canned and HR did nothing. I'm horrified at the treatment I received. You should be ashamed. This company has been going down for years. Put it out of its misery already.

Membership consultant

Former Employee - Membership Consultant in Ramsey, NJ
    Former Employee - Membership Consultant in Ramsey, NJ

I worked at Town Sports International Holdings full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The members are great. Network with your members to get out of this toxic environment. The free gym membership is a pro, yet I was the only one who used it.

Cons

Completely unethical when it comes to sales. Those who manipulate the computer system make "fake sales" and are praised for their shady practices. 90% of the employees in this company are not fitness minded and lack customer service. The hours this company expects it's staff to work are illegal. The pay is very low and the company constantly threatens to fire employees when upper management does not hold their weight.

Drug test employees, do background checks, be more involved with employee well being. Also, this company never promotes within or gives raises. Treat your employees better and put money into fixing up your clubs! The competition sells itself.

Assistant General Manager Review

I worked at Town Sports International Holdings

Pros

Good hours
    Get to improve lives through fitness

Cons

Lots of administrative work
    Too much focus on sales not enough on customer experience

Fitness Manager in charge of fitness sales and personal trainers.

Former Employee - Fitness Manager
    Former Employee - Fitness Manager

I worked at Town Sports International Holdings full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Free gym membership.
    Progress quickly due to extremely fast turnover.
    In club hourly staff typically are good people to work with.

Cons

Very top heavy company.
    No communication.
    Company is moving away form their mission statement "Improving lives through exercise" and only cares about the bottom line.
    All management positions have become glorified sales positions.
    No power is given to in club management.
    Upper management has continued to fail for years but they continue to have jobs.
    Turnover is extremely high in club management positions (6 General Managers in 1 club in less than 1 1/2 years)

You need to consider giving the in club management the ability to properly manage the facility they are held accountable for. In a health and fitness business you need to care about the members health and fitness and not how much money you can get out of them, people will pay anything if you care for them properly.

Management

Former Employee - Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Manager in New York, NY

I worked at Town Sports International Holdings full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Gym Membership
    Good People
    Networking
    There really is no more
    Nothing

Cons

Long Hours
    Promotions based on friendship
    Low integrity in sales
    Pay isn't great
    Company doesn't care about members

Not for the Fitness Professional - Profits before People

Current Employee - Personal Fitness Trainer in Springfield, NJ
    Current Employee - Personal Fitness Trainer in Springfield, NJ

I have been working at Town Sports International Holdings full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Just the brand name with all the locations- we are expected to have a professional image to justify such high prices on memberships and personal training packages

Cons

This company does not care about how their employees are paid whether its middle management to entry level trainer. This corporation does not care if a trainer is paid for sessions or not. They bend over backwards to screw you in terms of compensation and advancement. They will not accept your PT certification for what its worth you STILL have to get certified and pay for ACE even tho most start off with minimum wage. So much red tape, and paperwork and forms and boxes, and hoops to jump through. The $$$ and profits for investors come before quality of life to employees and members - PT packages are complicated an inflexible. There are lots of office politics, and "throwing people under the bus" - bad environment to grow a business, I doubt this company as a whole will succeed financially ..... members usually go to other places JUST for personal training.... This text I copied and saved from my notes even though it may sound repetitive: The company does not have the best interests of the members at heart. In fact this place bows down to investors so much that they are willing to accept LEWD behavior and DISRESPECTFUL members. The turnover rate of my managers (fitness managers and general managers) and disgust with members is off the charts. In the business course, the corporate level officers make it seem like you can make $100,000 and my rough sketch of my annual earnings with this company are around $4,500, so I am making something around minimum wage! On top of that I had to invest in getting a certification for $540 and I lost time studying for it. The shifts are inflexible in that I am not able to train people who have a nighttime schedule ON THEIR HOURS - if I train 2 clients during a shift I don't get paid for coming in, meaning my shift hours are not accounted for. I was not paid for 6 weeks of group exercise training, on top of practically losing money with this job it does not have the entrepreneurial spirit it tries to say it is about.

Pay your employees better
    Make some kind of ethics line to hold people accountable for their mistakes
    If you hire someone, plan on developing them and keeping them
    Let the people in the individual locations make decisions on their own without needing to get stamps of approval, and eliminate all this corporate control
    Simplify personal training packages
    Allow for a change in the board of directors or senior management, let the real leaders lead
    Focus more on being service oriented instead of profit oriented
    Live the values instead of having corny corporate slogans that nobody follows

If you honestly care about your career don't bother with this company because they don't care about you.

Former Employee - Fitness Service Manager in Springfield, NJ
    Former Employee - Fitness Service Manager in Springfield, NJ

I worked at Town Sports International Holdings full-time (more than an year)

Pros

As the FM, you get to develop your team and help them grow. You control the hiring of the training staff.

Cons

Exhausting hours. If you care about working as a team, you need to move on...NOW! Members have precedence over employees and management. If you think you will get help from the Fitness Director or Business Director you can forget that....you're on your own! Constant pressure, paperwork and micromanagement. The FM concentration is on sales, and how to make your trainers better "Selling Machines" so you can hit your numbers. If you honestly care about people and not the numbers so much.....don't bother! The directors will use the "Overcoming of Objectives" against you as you use against members to make the sale. If you don't hit your numbers you will be subjected to a psychological game.

Out with the old! Start training new staff! If the FM is not getting cooperation from any staff regardless of their length of employ, they should have the ability to discipline and not have to go running for help. LISTEN, you need to listen to what needs to be done in each individual club, not all clubs are the same. Just because it's working in one or fifty others it doesn't mean the same model will work in that demographic.