TowneBank Reviews

• Any Status
Employment Status

Reset
3.3
TowneBank Chairman and CEO G. Robert Aston Jr.
G. Robert Aston Jr.

1. A great experience with a company that loves to treat its' employees well!

Former Intern - Internship Program in Newport News, VA
    Former Intern - Internship Program in Newport News, VA

I worked at TowneBank as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

-The company takes great pride in making their employees happy. -Customer service goes above and beyond any other company of its' kind, therefore it is a joy to work there. -The company operates like a family, also calling their customers "members".

Cons

-I wish there were more openings with the company!

Fast paced environment but fun!

Former Employee - Loan Processor in Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Loan Processor in Raleigh, NC

I worked at TowneBank full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great company to work for and awesome benefits. Everyone was great to work with and management really knows how to treat their employees right! Learned a lot of valuable things while working for TowneBank that will help me succeed even further in life.

Cons

An ever changing environment, but hey, that's the mortgage industry!

3. TowneBank great bank-Towne Prudential not so much.

Former Employee - I Wish to Retain My Anonymity in Tidewater, VA
    Former Employee - I Wish to Retain My Anonymity in Tidewater, VA

I worked at TowneBank part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Connected with a good bank, impressive organization with beautiful buildings. Customer service oriented. No problems with TowneBank itself.

Cons

Prudential Real Estate is a subsidiary of TowneBank-Prudential Towne and I worked on that side of ToweBank which was like night and day. Different hierarchy and organization. I considered the office I worked in to be completely mismanaged and unprofessional.

Advice to Management

Apply TowneBank's high standards to all the various subsidiaries--I cancelled my account with TowneBank after my experience with Prudential Towne,

5. Great vacation, underpaid.

I have been working at TowneBank

Pros

Great flexibility and environment. Buildings are beautiful.

Cons

Little too much of "drinking the kool-aid" for their brand. Promotion and opportunities take years.

Towne excels at taking care of community, members and executives; less care is demonstrated to rank and file employees.

I worked at TowneBank full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Company brand is widely recognized as an elite industry leader which provides clout and respectability. Benefits such as paid vacation, medical and 401-k are generous, though the "family" atmosphere has diminished as the company has grown.

Cons

Limited opportunity for advancement; limited access to senior management . The Company's rapid growth and appetite for buying related companies over a short time period has resulted in stagnant pay for employees in the low and middle positions. Senior Management salaries continue to increase.

Advice to Management

Middle and upper management needs to reconnect with employees on the front line. Excessive emphasis on growth and the shift to a highly competitive sales environment have diminished the level of service Towne's reputation was founded upon.

Retail Lending Manager

Former Employee - Management
    Former Employee - Management

I worked at TowneBank

Pros

Friendly employees Clean Facilities Variety of Products and Services

Cons

Fees to high and Leadership lacking

Advice to Management

I have no advice for management

Not too bad, could be much better

Former Employee - Retail Operations Management in Hampton, VA
    Former Employee - Retail Operations Management in Hampton, VA

I worked at TowneBank full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

TowneBank really does care about its employees and tries to accommodate work schedules as much as possible.

Cons

Senior management is very out of touch with employees. Tries to be everything to every member. Relies too much on image and not enough on substance. Very involved in community activities, but only if there is an opportunity to advance the brand. Extremely cliquish, little to no career advancement for employees. If you don't walk and talk the TowneBank Kool-Aid brand you will not enjoy working here. Above all, do not recommend a different way of doing things at TowneBank or you will be actively shunned. Dissent is not appreciated or tolerated.

Advice to Management

None, it would not be considered anyway.

Happiness with job depends on location and supervisor/manager.

I have been working at TowneBank full-time

Pros

Vacation and sick leave is good. Most people can walk in off the street and get three weeks paid. Monday thru Friday work week paid holidays off. Tellers and a few other job types get a clothing allowance depending on either Full or Part time status. Training opportunities and advancement opportunities if willing to relocate and "drink the TowneBank Kool-Aid". There are opportunities to make extra money in branches if you sell credit cards ($10 to $20 per card) or make referrals to your local Raymond James representative for Annuities. I know others have flexible schedules and are happy with it. Medical/Dental/Vision/401k/Life Insurance/Aflac/Long Term Care/HSA all available. Profit sharing bonuses each February/March based on bank performance.

Cons

Truth about the clothing allowance for tellers: you get $600 twice a year for full time or $300 twice a year if you part time. Unless you work 5 days a week you are considered "part time". So you can work 4 days a week and get the same allowance as someone who works two. Doesn't really add up when you consider that most suits cost $150. Not to mention the costs of dry cleaning, assuming you have a decent one to choose from. Employees pay the taxes associated with the clothing allowance which is randomly taken out from a paycheck without a notice of the deduction in advance. Everything is super hush, hush. Depending on where you are in the company (location and department) depends on what you know. Case in point: TowneBank branch gets robbed, ends up all over internet/social media, etc. The only notification received from Senior Management was three days later telling everyone to keep their mouths shut, not to talk to the media and reference to the employee handbook about "conduct on the internet". Let's be honest, I don't expect a play by play, but when you work with the public, my customer base shouldn't know more about what is going on than the employees...you look and feel like an idiot. How hard is it to send an email about "the incident" Seriously? Don't bet on getting a raise for an exemplary review, those are only given every three years across the board depending on the how well the bank is doing financially. (Which by the way every quarter and every year is a "record profit" over the previous time frame). There are constantly emails coming out about people getting promoted at corporate to VP of this or EVP of that. While I am sure that these folks have worked hard and no doubt deserve to be recognized for that, people on the front lines in branches work everyday DIRECTLY with members who invest their money in this institution. Shouldn't we thank them with a promotion or raise? The bank runs promotions for credit card sales and I sell them on a pretty regular basis but not every branch will have the clientele that wants or qualifies for credit. The annuities campaign sounds good, you just have to make of referral for someone who has $25k to invest and is willing to sit and chat...that's it. Not so fast. Your representative has to actually call the person and set up an appointment to chat, which doesn't happen. Then the members call back or stop by and say they never received a follow up...and the money goes elsewhere. Hasn't anyone in TowneBank figured out why an entire region never has any "qualified referrals"? Must be too busy drinking the Kool-Aid at Headquarters to figure that one out. Branch Managers, Commercial and Private Bankers have goals and make Chairman's Club (read: Bonus Money) based on meeting or exceeding those goals. So those folks have to talk to current members about deepening their relationship with TowneBank and also have to go out and get new business. That is generally how sales works. People step on other people's toes and the next level up constantly takes credit for the "underlings" work. No different at Towne. My supervisor (among several others I know of) do not attempt to leave the branch to get new business. Rather they take walk in business and code it to themselves or after the underling (me) does the hard work of talking them up, getting a entire relationship (personal account, business account, credit card and line of credit) you get this: "Wow that is really great, go ahead and code that to me". Wait, what?! What did you do? Response is "you don't get credit for business coming in" Fair enough however if you didn't do anything to get them to walk in the door why should you get credit for something you didn't do? This is an act of desperation folks. You see this is after they (Branch Managers, Loan Officers) have worked to get almost an entire new relationship (or a big extension of an existing one) just to have their boss sweep out from under them and take credit for it. How is that for empowering your folks? Company wide "Family Dinner's" are eerily similar to a pyramid scam company. Music, lights, a big group of people singing and pulling people up on stage. It was very uncomfortable. The bank is constantly looking for ways to save money while they spend money like it's going to expire. They cut staff in branches and various departments to save money and expect the same level of work output. The buildings while beautiful, are over the top, extravagant really. They say they want employees and bank members to "feel pride" where they are. I feel it's really more of showing off. We were under a "hiring freeze" for some time and that's because Senior Management was busy plotting the Towne takeover of other companies and banks. If I am not mistaken, TowneBank acquired 4 different companies over the course of 2014. As the company grows so does Bureaucracy and with each merger the Hometown banking diminishes a bit more.

Advice to Management

I think I have hinted enough thus far that changes are needed and that there is a lack of leadership in some areas. I would be positive about it if I thought it would make a difference.

Good job, but unhappy at work.

Former Employee - Administrative Officer in Norfolk, VA
    Former Employee - Administrative Officer in Norfolk, VA

I worked at TowneBank

Pros

Great community recognition and everyone loves to love TowneBank. Good benefits.

Cons

Lack to teamwork and lots of small circles that are hard to enter.

Advice to Management

empower the staff to evaluate and ask questions about processes.

Poor Salary, good PTO

I have been working at TowneBank full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great vacation and sick paid time off.

Cons

Terrible salary scale for non management employees.

RSS Feed </> Embed